Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-22, 12:09 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

internet routers and Spectrum

I recently read an article that said if your router is more than five years old, you should replace it. The problem is, I don't know how old mine is. DH handled all of that, and I'm clueless.

I've put off going to Spectrum to get the account put in my name because I want to drop the TV (DH watched it, I don't) and because I'm afraid they'll try to talk me into something else (phone, faster internet). My problem is twofold:

1. I'm an easy mark. (I think they can spot me coming a mile away.)
2. I'm ignorant about internet matters.

I don't know if we bought our own router and modem or rented them. I don't know if the modem needs to be upgraded as well. I don't know how to choose a router or keep Spectrum from getting me to part with more money than I need or want.

Any advice?

TIA
Old 11-17-22, 12:27 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes, i dislike spectrum a lot. they mail us at least 2-3 ads a month. they've also sent reps in the neighborhood going door to door. this was during the pandemic too.

i suggest bringing someone with you when you cancel. someone who can speak if you start to cave, someone who will be your advocate.

a relative, neighbor, or college student would be best.

practice with that person so that they will help fend off the hyenas.

i would also get another quote from a competitor. in our city, the biggest other competitor is the phone company. if spectrum starts to be aggressive, tell them you are considering other service providers and leave out the details.

practicing with your advocate will also allow you to consider other options. i recently found a computer data consultant who helped us build a computer for our son. since then, if our service provider gives us any BS, i run it by our consultant. he doesn't charge for the free advice - it's usually a quick "is this a good idea?"

check to see if your credit union or any memberships you have (union membership, AARP, Costco, etc) might have discounts for various service providers. my mom got a really low cost deal due to being >80 YO.

have the discounts at the ready before you call spectrum or whichever service provider you're considering.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-22, 01:19 PM  
Floren

I dislike Spectrum a lot too, but where I am right now they are the only game in town. I am waiting for google fiber to come, hope it’s soon.

DDJ, If it would make you more comfortable, you can call them to do this, rather than go in person. Call their customer support number.

I recently dealt with them on the phone (a lot unfortunately), and here are a few things I learned:

If you ask to drop your TV services (if you press the phone button to choose cancel services), they will likely route you to the “retention” department, or people who are willing to make deals to get you to keep the service. (Also, in person reps at their stores do not have the ability to make the same pricing deals as the retention department.)

You may have a “bundle” billing, one bundle rate for TV + Internet. This means that if you drop your tv service, then they will increase your internet service fee (because you likely got a ”special” rate for having both services). You may have the ability to negotiate this rate if you tell them you got a better offer from Verizon, or whoever. Not sure. Like bzar says, you can see what other local competition would charge you from the flyers they send out. But you can say NO when Spectrum offers you other TV options, like 10 channels only for less money. NO. NO. (we can say it with you <3)

They will likely also try to convince you to get cell phone service from them too, and offer great bundle pricing for this. I would deny this strongly, this terrible company is not getting any more of my services. The rates might be great for the first year, but as we all know they go up like crazy after that. NOOOOOOOO. Never good.

If they offer you special pricing, it usually expires in a year, at which time it goes up exorbitantly. At that time, you can call them back yearly to re-negotiate the special rate. They will not offer it to you unless you call. They will tell you that they don’t do this anymore since they are no longer Time Warner Cable, but they still do it all the time. You just have to ask.

On the call, after you have settled your services, you can ask them about the router, and if it needs to be updated. They also won’t do this unless you ask. I asked about mine. They said people ask about this all the time, and don’t know if they own their own router. (It’s usually been a few years and people don’t remember, so they won’t be surprised if you ask them about this).

Hope this helps some. 😊
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-22, 04:01 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Floren, I'll probably have to go in. I need to get the account put in my name, and I'll probably need to take my husband's death certificate in to do so.

I've read that dropping TV won't be so easy because I probably have a bundle. I was concerned about sneaky rates that could go up over time. I'll have to look up competitors, but I'm not sure there are many around here for internet only.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
Old 11-17-22, 04:26 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sorry for your loss.

i think it's possible to just keep internet if that's all you want, and explain you are financially strapped now that you are single and on a limited income. i think they can accommodate you with that rather than losing you all together.

see if you can talk to a techie friend to just see what little you need to get by - this will clarify your needs and prevent you from getting snowed. i too feel the same way about what is absolutely necessary vs. unnecessary. i spoke to at least 3 co-workers before making a change to my service.

maybe that techie friend would be willing to go with you. nothing wrong with that. like buying a car and bringing someone along.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cord cutting, internet provider, off topic, off-topic