Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 10-22-22, 04:45 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

churning your own butter

I just saw a yahoo article that butter might be scarce in the next few months due to supply issues.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/how-...142736357.html

have you ever churned your own butter? any tips? can you use a 350 watt stand mixer to churn butter?

i usually buy unsalted butter from Costco or Sam's and use it for baking.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-22, 10:48 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I just saw a yahoo article that butter might be scarce in the next few months due to supply issues.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/how-...142736357.html

have you ever churned your own butter? any tips? can you use a 350 watt stand mixer to churn butter?

i usually buy unsalted butter from Costco or Sam's and use it for baking.
Certainly there are plenty of people who have unintentionally made butter by whipping their cream too long.... but, I think actual butter is not quite as simple as that. Maybe it'll do in a pinch. Funny, I just realized I am low on butter.
Old 10-22-22, 03:59 PM  
BunnyHop

It's a fairly simple process, you just need some way to agitate the cream/control the potential mess.

Here's a video with two ways to do it by the Stay at Home Chef.

HTH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nd37P1ifE

You can also make cultured butter at home,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhj9O9NbZao

and butter from powdered milk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XhNBU5hew8

This may be way more than you wanted to know, but at least my recipe obsession online has finally proved useful.
Old 10-22-22, 04:01 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Walking to the store to buy ingredients and coming back to take turns churning butter was a project in my kindergarten class 64 years ago. I have no tips, though.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-22, 02:47 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i ended up doing my usual practice of buying it form Costco since they had it in stock. I also learned on Dr. Google that you can freeze butter, so that's exactly what i did.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 10-26-22, 04:24 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i ended up doing my usual practice of buying it form Costco since they had it in stock. I also learned on Dr. Google that you can freeze butter, so that's exactly what i did.
I learned from Google a few years back that salted butter can last much longer (e.g. stay fresher) in the freezer vs. unsalted butter (I think at least twice as long).

So we tend to buy our salted butter from Sam's Club or Costco since I know it will get used within a year, but unless I'm doing a ton of baking at once, I tend to buy unsalted butter in slightly smaller quantities (maybe 1-3lbs at a time instead of 4lbs). I still always freeze the unsalted butter until I need it but I want to make sure I don't let it sit in the freezer for more than 4-6 months (preferably using it within a few months). On the other hand, I think salted can stay fresh up in the freezer up to 12 months.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-22, 05:13 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I learned from Google a few years back that salted butter can last much longer (e.g. stay fresher) in the freezer vs. unsalted butter (I think at least twice as long).

So we tend to buy our salted butter from Sam's Club or Costco since I know it will get used within a year, but unless I'm doing a ton of baking at once, I tend to buy unsalted butter in slightly smaller quantities (maybe 1-3lbs at a time instead of 4lbs). I still always freeze the unsalted butter until I need it but I want to make sure I don't let it sit in the freezer for more than 4-6 months (preferably using it within a few months). On the other hand, I think salted can stay fresh up in the freezer up to 12 months.
thanks for these tips. I use unsalted and will likely use it up by end of Dec.

Old 10-27-22, 03:51 AM  
jusca

I'd imagine churning heavy cream would be more cost prohibitive. I would stock up on the butter sticks and freeze them. I always freeze mine (unsalted butter) when I find a nice sale. They freeze very well for months, possibly a year. No issues with texture when thawed.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 12:45 PM  
Vantreesta

I always freeze butter (and margarine--yeah, I know, bad for you). Just a tip: if you are using the butter for truffles, be sure to thaw in the fridge rather than on the counter. Moisture will make your chocolate seize.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butter