Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-20, 09:33 AM  
slockhart

My first rebounding workout...

So I picked up my "used" rebounder yesterday. Found it on Kijiji. It was a JumpSport 550 that the person bought at Costco for over $500. It didn't even look like it had been stepped on. Got it for $350.

I had been looking up some YouTube workouts and on another thread that I started, was introduced to some great channels. However, rebounding is something that definitely is going to take a little practice, which I was not really aware of. I was a fitness instructor for a lot of years so thought this would be no problem. For starters, I had to adjust the firmness. Went to medium, and that wasn't enough so had to adjust the bungees for the firmest setting.

I tried a Skip Jump workout by Tatiana Trevia. Her workouts looked great (even though she does not speak English). However, even after adjusting the firmness, I found that the jumps were performed too fast. Her rebounder looks a lot more firm than mine.

So I switched workouts to a SanFran Fitness 30 minute one and the speed was a little slower and I found it a bit easier to keep up with the moves.

I found that a rebounder is not like a trampoline. You have to stay low and keep your butt a bit lower and your knees a bit bent. There is technique involved and I think it will take a few tries before I feel comfortable.

Having said that, I LOVED IT. My butt and legs felt really worked. And I was sweating!

Any advice on technique would be appreciated!

Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 10:23 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by slockhart View Post
So I picked up my "used" rebounder yesterday. Found it on Kijiji. It was a JumpSport 550 that the person bought at Costco for over $500. It didn't even look like it had been stepped on. Got it for $350.

I had been looking up some YouTube workouts and on another thread that I started, was introduced to some great channels. However, rebounding is something that definitely is going to take a little practice, which I was not really aware of. I was a fitness instructor for a lot of years so thought this would be no problem. For starters, I had to adjust the firmness. Went to medium, and that wasn't enough so had to adjust the bungees for the firmest setting.

I tried a Skip Jump workout by Tatiana Trevia. Her workouts looked great (even though she does not speak English). However, even after adjusting the firmness, I found that the jumps were performed too fast. Her rebounder looks a lot more firm than mine.

So I switched workouts to a SanFran Fitness 30 minute one and the speed was a little slower and I found it a bit easier to keep up with the moves.

I found that a rebounder is not like a trampoline. You have to stay low and keep your butt a bit lower and your knees a bit bent. There is technique involved and I think it will take a few tries before I feel comfortable.

Having said that, I LOVED IT. My butt and legs felt really worked. And I was sweating!

Any advice on technique would be appreciated!

Stacey
SanFran Fitness is a great site! Lots of variety there. It does take time to get used to it, but it will come. Be patient and build up slowly. I'm getting back to rebounding after 3 mos rehabbing from shoulder surgery, and I feel like a beginner again. I've forgotten what a tough workout it can be. Enjoy!
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 12:14 PM  
slockhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
SanFran Fitness is a great site! Lots of variety there. It does take time to get used to it, but it will come. Be patient and build up slowly. I'm getting back to rebounding after 3 mos rehabbing from shoulder surgery, and I feel like a beginner again. I've forgotten what a tough workout it can be. Enjoy!
Oh my goodness, I was not aware of how hard it is. My go-to is kickboxing and that seems easy compared to this. I have tried running in the past (which I hate) and this seems a lot tougher physically!

I am trialing the free 7 days with Bounce Society. They have some awesome "beginner" workouts that really explain technique. You don't want to "jump" actually you want to "down jump," which really does take practice. It is humbling as I can't just start off with advanced lol. But I really do think you are working harder than just a regular cardio workout, so shorter is just fine!

I love the Bounce society by the way, and will probably continue for another month at least until I feel I can tackle those workouts on YouTube!

Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 06:52 PM  
TinaT

Here is a link on YouTube to another great option.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq5...QChMdahnpKpGVg

Sometimes I just want to go somewhere with no music just ambient sounds. Some of these place are stunning. I've been rebounding long enough now to just do my own thing on days I use this site.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 07:34 PM  
geojill

Quote:
I am trialing the free 7 days with Bounce Society. They have some awesome "beginner" workouts that really explain technique. You don't want to "jump" actually you want to "down jump," which really does take practice. It is humbling as I can't just start off with advanced lol. But I really do think you are working harder than just a regular cardio workout, so shorter is just fine!
They are good workouts!! I am working on the 30 minute-ish workouts for levels 1 and 1.5. By the time I get around to being able to do a full hour, I think I will be a cardiovascular superhuman!!
Old 02-04-20, 09:49 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Oh my goodness, I was not aware of how hard it is. My go-to is kickboxing and that seems easy compared to this. I have tried running in the past (which I hate) and this seems a lot tougher physically!

I love the Bounce society by the way, and will probably continue for another month at least until I feel I can tackle those workouts on YouTube!

Stacey

My favorite rebounding site so far! Love all of their stuff, including their dance and yoga workouts. SanFran is great for free workouts, however, if you don't want to pay for a subscription, and I believe she adds new content pretty regularly.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 12:40 PM  
Marylandmom
VF Supporter

Another one to check out is Angiefitness.tv on Youtube. She has quite a few rebounder videos and they are on a Leaps and Bounds trampoline which is comparable to a Jumsport.
Marylandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jumpsport, rebounder, rebounders, rebounding, rebounding workouts