Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-16, 11:45 AM  
nynancy

Hi, Tina. If you end up getting that slide board, can you let me know how you like it?

Nancy
nynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 11:54 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

QVC has the Obsidian set with DVDs, board and booties for $109 and 5 easy pays. I can't link well from my phone, but it should be easy to find on their site. It's under the Health and Fitness category, under Equipment and DVDs.
Old 05-16-16, 12:37 PM  
TinaT

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 02:26 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I started sliding again. My knees have advanced osteoarthritis and even low impact Leslie isn't comfortable.

If anyone still has a VCR and would like a sliding VHS, let me know. I found a box of them in the closet.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 05:55 PM  
TinaT

Cynthia, are you able to keep the pressure out of your knees? I know form is everything with sliding. I love lateral exercises. I think that's why I'm drawn to this.

I've been previewing dvds on youtube and there are some great exercises done on the slide board. Pretty creative.
Old 05-16-16, 06:29 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Tina, I'm not sure what you mean by pressure. Sliding is weight-bearing, but no impact.
Old 05-17-16, 09:15 AM  
TinaT

Cynthia let me restate my question. You know how a person has to be careful with dips, lunges, squats ... do to the knees ... well I imagine the same soreness could happen with sliding. Are you able to keep good form with the condition your knees are in? I ask b/c my husband has the same thing. His knees are bone on bone. But he's trying to build the muscle around them. I though sliding would be wonderful.
Old 05-17-16, 10:52 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Tina, I'm not yet bone on bone, but I am doing physical therapy and 2 of my exercises are narrow stance squats on a balance cushion (I don't have a bosu like the rehab center) and bulgarian split squats. Anyway, the slight bend in the knees while sliding is not as deep as a squat.

Before you invest in a slide, you might consider gliding discs. I don't think they're as good for cardio, but the movement is similar. Some people use furniture movers, like bed bath & beyond has. An excellent DVD to introduce the movement is Gliding for the Active Older Adult, available at amazon and ebay. The gliders they use aren't my favorite, I prefer Valslides. You can use paper plates also.

Tags
slide, slide board, slide boards, sliding