Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-20, 08:35 PM  
bfit

Is biking a male dominated activity?

I wrote here the other day because I can't run any more. I said I was OK with it mentally, but I'm actually getting more and more bummed about it the more it sinks in. At any rate, my doctor said biking was a good alternative, but I'm afraid my impression of biking isn't very positive. Where I live I see two types of cyclists - parents riding around slowly with their kids and men (alone or in groups) riding fast and aggressively with snarly expressions, over the top clothing, and just a general "attitude". I don't see it as a fitness activity for sort of an average woman in her early 60s. Does anyone here bike? Do you feel out of place? Are there actual biking events for women similar to women's runs or women's triathlons?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 08:52 PM  
Vantreesta

My friend is in her 70s and she and her husband bike all the time in warmer seasons.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 08:57 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I do not bike but my sister and BIL do. They are in their 60's and bike all over NYC every week and take trips with their bike club to LI, NJ and the suburbs north of NYC monthly. Almost every vacation they take is a bike trip and they have been to all over Europe, North America Australia and New Zealand. I don't get the impression that they meet predominantly men.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 09:00 PM  
laurajhawk

I don't bike but a bunch of my coworkers do - men and women. Some of them are my age (mid-50s) and some older. Many of them are competitive and they love it.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 09:02 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I don’t bike, but my sister, at 75, is an avid cyclist. There is an abundance of bike lanes and accessible trails where we live, many shared with pedestrians, so the attitude of most cyclists is pretty relaxed. My sister & her DH invested in ebikes this year & they love them as it gives them hill assist as it’s not flat here, and longer riding range.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 09:17 PM  
fanofladyvols

The bike stores here have meet ups with styles of bikers. I see various groups that seem to meet up starting at the stores. What I have observed: There's a hard core bunch, family bunch (little kiddos strapped in creative ways) and what appear to be recreational bikers.

I would check with your local bike store to see what options there are for you.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 10:49 PM  
laurawd

My initial reaction to the question is (and please don't take offense): who cares???

Do what you want to do. Who decides what is gender or age appropriate? Only you can determine what is right for you and your body. If you can't run anymore, you will find something else that allows you to move your body in a way that you enjoy. In that way- if you are looking for them - you will find communities of practice. Does it matter what anyone else is doing or thinking ?
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 02:02 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Before the pandemic, I rode my bike every weekday as a part of my commute, sometimes for 30 mins and sometimes for 80 mins, depending on the train and bus schedule and where my work meetings were (big campus sprawled across two towns in Silicon Valley!) I mostly rode on bike trails by the creek and on bike paths along artery streets. By and large, I was outnumbered by dirty dudes, some of whom were commuters like me and others who were Lance Armstrong wannabes. I'd hazard a guess that 10% of folks on my usual routes were women but I think that was a function of work wardrobes and tolerance for sweat I know of women who didn't want to give up skirts and dresses even if biking was the best solution for their commute or as a part of their commute (note: I altered my work wardrobe over time to accommodate frequent biking, including wearing black pants/leggings on days when it was raining so the water stains didn't show). And I didn't have a problem with helmet hair (I would brush it upon showing up at the office) or being slightly sweaty (no one ever complained I smelled, not even my husband!)

But being in the 10% shouldn't be a deterrent... I loved biking and I still love it but just have less opportunities to do so now that I'm working from home and juggling kiddie schedules. The highlight of my week, if I can swing it, is a 90-minute bike along the bay to downtown and back via city streets. BEST thing ever! Looking at birds, admiring fall foliage, stopping by the bay beach to watch the water lapping up on shore, dropping by a market to pick up groceries on the way back... I can't think of a better way to spend any free time I have.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 04:05 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i think if you go to a good bike shop, talk to the owner of the store and find out where beginner cyclists hang out.

my older brother has been a cyclist for a while after having participated in a triathlon. he only did the triathlon maybe 1x or 2x. he preferred running out of the 3 sports at first, followed by biking and swimming. he had to "learn" how to bike and swim for the triathlon. after he stopped doing triathlons, he kept up the biking and gave up running.

he got his wife into biking, and they did the century bike ride several times. she still considers herself a beginner after all these years. they still do it leisurely - for the health aspects.

here's a link to the local cycling league in our city - they give workshops (with updated guidelines due to the virus):
https://www.hbl.org/education/cycling-workshops/

your town might have something similar.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 06:46 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm in my mid-60s. I used to bike a lot! But I mostly gave it up in the past 10 years or so because I live in a highly congested suburban area and bike-riding on the roads was no longer safe, nor fun. At that time, I thought riding on rail-trails was "boring". I've since changed my mind. Rail-trails, paved greenways, etc. are wonderful. I see A LOT of recreational riders on these places. All ages. During the week, the bike trails are chock-full of "older adults". Some are out for a casual ride, others are doing long-distance (40 miles) and hanging out somewhere cool for a lunch break. Besides checking with your local bike stores, search on Meetup. There are a lot of informal groups for people who with similar interests - folks who don't want to race, but do want a aerobic or challenging outing. So get out there! Do your thing, and you will find others like you!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biking, cycling