Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-20, 10:12 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

OT: Upset with Amazon

I wonder if anyone here has had this happen to you?

Back in March, I ordered a forehead thermometer from a third-party seller on Amazon. The company was called FlyByte, and all I could find about them was that they had very good ratings. So I ordered.

The thermometer shipped within a couple of days, and it was only then that I discovered it shipped from China. It was supposed to arrive by April 2, but came seven days later.

Today I received a bill (A BILL!!!) from FedEx saying I owe them $36 in duties and taxes.

There was nothing on the product page that indicated I would have to pay this. Does anyone know what on earth is going on?
Old 05-23-20, 10:19 AM  
sherry7899

Dede, was there a customs form with a value for the item written on it? I am so sorry that happened.

Please contact Amazon about it. You paid for shipping, but depending on the value listed customs taxes I think can be charged.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 12:34 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks for the warning.

i wonder if this is the impact of the tariff wars between the US and other countries?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 12:43 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
thanks for the warning.

i wonder if this is the impact of the tariff wars between the US and other countries?
I was wondering the same thing. My dh often orders parts from China so I'll let him know, too.

ETA- Could it be a phishing scam? Someone trying to get additional funds from you? I would check with Fed Ex to see if it is legit.
Old 05-23-20, 12:45 PM  
BunnyHop

I've never heard of such a thing.

Definitely check to make sure that the bill you got is really from Fedex, not some scam. (That would be my first thought)

It was my understanding that such duties are collected at the time of delivery, but then again I've never dealt with Fedex on such a thing, just the USPS.
Old 05-23-20, 12:53 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
ETA- Could it be a phishing scam? Someone trying to get additional funds from you? I would check with Fed Ex to see if it is legit.
excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I've never heard of such a thing.

Definitely check to make sure that the bill you got is really from Fedex, not some scam. (That would be my first thought)

It was my understanding that such duties are collected at the time of delivery, but then again I've never dealt with Fedex on such a thing, just the USPS.
that's true regarding collected at time of delivery. we bought something from Japan via eBay a few years ago, and the delivery company collected it when the item was delivered and would only release it after paying the duties taxes.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 01:07 PM  
VainJane

Definitely contact Amazon. I'm a long-time customer and former employee, and I've never heard of third party sellers trying to spring "surprise" customs charges on people. Most of Amazon's first-level support workers are based offshore and not knowledgeable about US customs, so request to speak with a manager until you get someone who's based in the US and can resolve this for you.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 02:13 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I recently ordered a make-up bag on Amazon. Had no idea it was coming from China. I got it, no additional charges.

Sounds phishy to me. Almost every time I order from Amazon, I get an email saying my account has been frozen and that I need to Click Here to update something in my account. One look at the sender’s email address tells me it didn’t come from Amazon.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 04:30 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I'm not the only one this has happened to. I checked FlyByte's feedback again and they've had 52% negative feedback in the past month.

I tried to contact Amazon. They aren't taking calls right now, so I initiated a chat. They won't work with me until I contact the seller, so I did. If I don't get a response in 48 hours, then they will talk to me.

What I got from FedEx came in the mail. There were several detailed pages about the transaction.

I won't do anything until I talk to Amazon.

As for a time frame, I got the package around April 9 and didn't receive the letter from FedEx until today.

Sherry, there was no paperwork of any kind that came with the package. Just the thermometer in a FedEx envelope.
Old 05-23-20, 05:17 PM  
amoodygirl

When the stay-at-home began, I decided to do some heavy cleaning and replace the lining in my kitchen cabinets, which includes under the sink. I found a nice mat made just for that but when I got the shipping notice, it was shipping from China - nowhere did it say that anywhere! I immediately contacted the seller and told them to cancel the order, which they did.

This needs to be addressed with Amazon. On eBay, it is very clearly stated in what country a seller is located. Amazon should have the same transparency.

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, customs and duties fees, international purchases