Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-16, 04:12 PM  
cowfishpro

Question Are there any Kelly Coffey Meyer Cardio workouts that are considered advanced?

I enjoy KCM and her style, and I am thinking of turning to her cardio DVDs for my cardio days. However, I need something high intermediate or above as far as cardio challenge. I appreciate recommendations.

If you also have suggestions for her mixed workouts with more intense cardio premix options, I would be interested in hearing about those in addition to her pure cardio DVDs.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Old 07-26-16, 05:17 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I think Athletic Conditioning 1 (the first workout) and 30MTF: Shape Up would fit your criteria. I'm pretty sure Shape Up has a cardio segments only premix for good butt kicking.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 07:13 PM  
PrairieGem

You might have a look at the all-plyos workout on Cardio Blast; there's also a pre-mix of the two where the plyo intervals are mixed in with the step workout.

I haven't done it in a long time, but I remember the plyo workout reminding me of "Breathless Body." It was fun!
Old 07-27-16, 08:13 AM  
marki64

This is why I am not a real fan of Kelly's cardio. It just doesn't deliver for me. I find her older workouts are a little more advanced than her more recent ones. I concur with Cardio Blast, but she takes too long of breaks, so I go to the next interval quickly. I also find this one boring. If you have a step bench, the step premix with the cardio blasts is really good and will get your heart rate up. I like her Bootcamp dvd too, but that has weight work in it. The cardio portions are a little more intense and fun. I am not a fan of boxing and I do not like her boxing dvds at all. Her newer cardio dvds, I don't find challenging at all and a little boring. Just my opinion. Her weight work rocks, though.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 01:32 PM  
prettyinpink

I agree with Athletic Conditioning 1. I think TLC is pretty good, and her original Kickboxing is okay if you combine the two workouts and use weighted gloves and put a lot into it.

I think the plyo workout on cardio blast is lower intensity than you want. It's slow moving and kind of a snooze IMO. Although you could add kb swings in the breaks to up the intensity, as with other workouts.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 02:48 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I like her 30MF Step Boxing, you can always do both 30 min workouts (premix) for a full hour workout, I use 8" step and weighted globes, and I feel challenged, not like I'm going to past out, but a nice challenge and most importantly the workout is a lot of fun (at least for me).

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 08:02 PM  
desderata

I consider her old step workout, Get Ready, Step, Go to be an advanced workout, maybe low advanced to some. It's not as intense as older Cathe's, but much more so than her 30 minutes to fitness workouts.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 11:41 PM  
LizEMA

KCM is solidly intermediate, and I don't think she's ever put out what one would call an advanced workout. Even her more challenging premixes, I don't think could be called advanced, either.

That's being said, she has a (short) Cardio only premix from Plateau Buster that come to mind(which doubles up the cardio moves from both workouts). It's only about 30 mins., so, while I'm not sure what length you're looking for, if you're interested in longer workouts, that may not interest you.

I can't speak, personally, to level or intensity as I've never done the premix. I just only ever do her combined workouts premixes and call it a day BUT those cardio moves feel pretty challenging while I'm doing the complete workout. I imagine they would provide for a challenging workout when strung together. (I REALLY like the cardio moves in that one.)

ETA: I think you could make good use of Bootcamp. It's not straight cardio (she does use weights), but rather, metabolic, which is certainly cardiovascular. Not advanced, but maybe higher intermediate.

And, I concur with Sabine -- the cardio only premix from Shape Up must be a killer workout; THAT one, I bet, would feel advanced!