Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-21, 08:17 PM  
BunnyHop

Stayed up late last night reading the new Becky Chambers book The Galaxy and the Ground Within. Finished it today. So good. If you like character based sci-fi, give her a try. Each novel in the series is self contained, but I'd start with the first (The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet) if you want to see what's going on in her universe.
Old 04-27-21, 05:33 AM  
Carol K

I finished The Patron Saint of Pregnant Girls by Ursula Hegi. This was a charming story populated by colorful characters. I also discovered that her book Stones from the River published in the 90s is the first book in a series of four, so I added the next book to my to-read list. Meanwhile, I have started A Woman's Courage by Simon Block, third and last book in the Keep the Home Fires Burning series.
Old 04-27-21, 06:57 AM  
alisoncooks

I've been making my way through the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy. I read the first book a few years ago but not the others. They're good -- though not as good as the original, i think.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-21, 07:10 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Allison, I was thinking about reading the second CRA book after reading the first last year. Does the second focus on different characters?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-21, 08:47 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Allison, I was thinking about reading the second CRA book after reading the first last year. Does the second focus on different characters?
The characters from the first book continue on through the second and third, though new characters are introduced or minor characters expanded upon.
Old 04-28-21, 08:12 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm reading Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson. I'm not sure if I like the book or not, but I haven't put it down yet.

I'm also reading Empire of Dreams by Rae Carson. Now that I'm reading the book, I'm remembering what happened in the last book. I'm enjoying coming back to this series.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 11:15 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I'm reading Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson. I'm not sure if I like the book or not, but I haven't put it down yet.

I'm also reading Empire of Dreams by Rae Carson. Now that I'm reading the book, I'm remembering what happened in the last book. I'm enjoying coming back to this series.
I loved The Almost Sisters. We're a pretty nerdy, comicon type of family, though, so I loved the main character.
Old 04-29-21, 05:13 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I loved The Almost Sisters. We're a pretty nerdy, comicon type of family, though, so I loved the main character.
Now I'm further into the story and I'm enjoying it. I can see why you loved the main character. She's different and believable.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 08:06 PM  
BunnyHop

I got the newest Charles Finch book An Extravagant Death from the library today!!

Really good so far.

Is there anything more fun than a brand new book on a rainy day?

Editing to add: Finished it by 11 this evening. Looking forward to seeing where the series goes next.
This novel picks up the continuing story of the series after a brief detour through some prequels detailing the early years of Lenox's life. I for one, am glad to see this part of the story resumed.
Old 04-30-21, 09:05 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Stayed up late last night reading the new Becky Chambers book The Galaxy and the Ground Within. Finished it today. So good. If you like character based sci-fi, give her a try. Each novel in the series is self contained, but I'd start with the first (The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet) if you want to see what's going on in her universe.
This looks really interesting. I’m getting a bit of a “Firefly” vibe. Thanks!
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading