Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-21, 02:19 PM  
Gams

FirmDancer, I was thinking as well that many of us here have lost our spouses. I lost my husband, then Jeannie lost hers and recently several more. So much sadness.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 03:07 PM  
AnMrsDe

I'm so sorry for the VF'ers whose loved ones have passed away. May you all find peace and hope this year.

As far as good habits developed in 2020, in the middle of September, I started doing a 5 min. meditation daily. It has since become a habit, doing it in the morning after I am up, after feeding my kitty, having used the restroom, etc. Now it is just a given, and I usually spend around 10 min. I hope to up that duration as time allows. I started out with meditations from Inner Dimensions but now mostly listen to Bible passages and this helps me to refresh my memorization of them as well. I never, EVER thought I could include meditation in my day (too antsy), but I learned I don't have to be lying (or sitting) on a mat with my eyes closed!

Another good habit developed was that b/c of the shutdown, I had more free time and I noticed that with tallying up my total minutes spent working out for 2020 was 29,454 and taking 20 rest days. That number is up almost 6,000(!) minutes from 2019!!! However, yard work (at my place, my parents and my DS' condos) and meditation minutes were included in this total. (I think I thought of ways to just be outside and always found SOMETHING that needed to be done!!)
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 03:18 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Is there a specific workbook you used? I'd be very much interested in this. My DH passed away suddenly and unexpectedly a few weeks ago and I've been feeling very stressed and anxious. It's hard to control my thoughts and I've been sleeping poorly. TIA
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dh. My anxiety became worse after losing my dog in a dog attack. It's not the same as a spouse, but I can relate a bit. The anxiety became worse when I experienced a tragedy I couldn't prevent.

Here is the Amazon link to the workbook. It has a LOT of worksheets, and I didn't do all of them. It really goes into depth and takes quite a bit of time to complete. But it does an excellent job explaining how anxiety affects our brains, and how changing our thoughts changes our brains. The worksheets at the beginning of the book helped me to pinpoint my areas of anxiety. I kind of skipped the worksheets in the last few chapters, but I still learned enough from the workbook to manage my anxiety day to day. I think even if you just read the chapters, you can still get a lot out of it. A friend told me that one of the authors of the workbook was instrumental in forming the guidelines for anxiety groups, and the group she attended.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also found this book helpful, although it focuses more on CBT and depression.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-02-21, 03:25 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I'm going to look into this! I've been going thru peaks and valleys of anxiety throughout this pandemic.
I'm glad I did this prior to the pandemic! I still struggle, but it's more manageable.
Old 01-03-21, 07:13 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I'm glad I did this prior to the pandemic! I still struggle, but it's more manageable.
First and foremost, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank you for the links, I'm going to buy the workbook.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 07:17 AM  
suzannaerin

Not a habit but I've gotten back into sewing after decades and have been making quilts. It's been great for my anxiety and best of all, is teaching me to be patient.

In December, I started meditating every day again, a habit I intend to keep.I discovered some pilates workouts specifically for scoliosis and I intend to continue doing one a day.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 08:34 AM  
donnamp

Sherry - thank you for posting that book again - I think you had posted it in our check in as well. My DD has social anxiety and has seen a coach for it - I think this would help her as well. I do remember when you lost your dog, and I just can't imagine the trauma of seeing something like that happen.

2020 was a very sad year - I know of at least three people IRL who have recently died suddenly - two co-workers and a man from church. My mom also passed away in 2020, but that was not totally unexpected as she was in failing health for many months prior, but it was still not expected at the time.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 08:53 AM  
DCW

WFH I started making it a point to take a few minutes to walk outdoors for a break.

I have even walked in the rain on occasion.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 09:08 AM  
Izzy

My sympathy to those who lost love ones, family and friends. May you find peace.

For me, I work a full time job and PT job(s). As a single parent to supplement income I have worked the pt jobs since 2002. As a religious exerciser sometimes it was hard to get everything in. My PT jobs were eliminated this year and I found myself with all kinds of time on my hands. I live alone and though continued to work my FT job, I was beginning to feel depression sink in being alone too much.

I made a goal to walk daily in 2020 and I did. I missed 1 walk on 12/28 due to an ice storm. Many days I walked twice just to get outside. I walk early in the morning around 5-5:30. I would meditate the first 5-10 minutes then turn on my book.

I pass a coworker’s house and started to pick up her paper and deliver it to her porch. But feeling guilty I hit about 5-7 houses on my walks of people who are elderly and put papers on their porches. They don’t know me or who does this but it makes me feel good.

My coworker also joins me now 2-3 days a week and another has started walking with her husband. They both told me my walks inspired them so I feel good about that.
Old 01-03-21, 09:49 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dh. My anxiety became worse after losing my dog in a dog attack. It's not the same as a spouse, but I can relate a bit. The anxiety became worse when I experienced a tragedy I couldn't prevent.

Here is the Amazon link to the workbook. It has a LOT of worksheets, and I didn't do all of them. It really goes into depth and takes quite a bit of time to complete. But it does an excellent job explaining how anxiety affects our brains, and how changing our thoughts changes our brains. The worksheets at the beginning of the book helped me to pinpoint my areas of anxiety. I kind of skipped the worksheets in the last few chapters, but I still learned enough from the workbook to manage my anxiety day to day. I think even if you just read the chapters, you can still get a lot out of it. A friend told me that one of the authors of the workbook was instrumental in forming the guidelines for anxiety groups, and the group she attended.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also found this book helpful, although it focuses more on CBT and depression.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you so much Sherry. I put both those books in my cart. They look like they would be very helpful to me.

And I'm so sorry about your poor dog. That sounds very traumatic. I'm glad you found some help for your anxiety with the workbook.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It's very much appreciated.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anxiety, habits