Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-20, 10:47 PM  
Genevieve M

Bfit - don't be intimidated by the hardcore, spandex-clad crews. Biking is such a lovely activity and can give you great joy.

The only advice that I can share is to stay on bike-trails. I guess the bike lanes are ok, but it is so much safer on trails.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 06:38 AM  
suzannaerin

I used to ride every day, mostly on biking trails. The spandex clad crews or solo riders were very aggressive and unavoidable, made it stressful because they didn't follow the trail rules about passing and went at excessive speeds. I live in an urban community, so the trails were heavily trafficked (runners, walkers, bikers, skaters). I ended up riding predawn---got myself a super bright headlight---for several years. WOuldn't recommend it for anyone without heightened street smarts skills.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 10:54 AM  
Leonana

I have ridden on our canal path. I'm in Phoenix, and it's a bike, running and walking path put in by the city for miles along the canal. There is also a dirt road next to it, so many people also use that. I'd say biking is 50/50 between men and women. It's pretty busy, but less so during the day and weekdays. Winter is obviously busier than summer. Most people ride or walk very early in the summer. No one is aggressive, but you do have to pass people.

However, I have an old bike and wear old clothes. My bike is harder to ride than the newer longer distance ones. I also don't have the newer biking clothes that everyone I see wears. I have also seen groups biking through my neighborhood on weekends, and they also have the newer bikes and biking clothes. I'm hesitant to join a group, because I don't feel I have the proper bike and clothing, and can't afford it right now.
Old 12-16-20, 12:44 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I wouldn't worry about bike clothing. Whatever I own that's bike-specific -- one jersey with lots of cool pockets around the tail and two pairs of padded bike shorts -- is limited and I just layer my padded shorts on top of leggings or yoga pants, paired with a sweat wicking top (i.e. number of Uniqlo hoodies or other pieces that make up my weekend hiking/walking/mom-on-the-go wardrobe) and I'm ready to go!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-20, 07:55 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I'm hesitant to join a group, because I don't feel I have the proper bike and clothing, and can't afford it right now.
Sherry, I totally get this. I remember the first time I walked into a step class and realized my perfectly serviceable ensemble was 'out of step' with the garb everyone else was wearing. Oops.

However, if it IS something you want to do, then parse out those roadblocks.

Visit a bike store to investigate trading your bike in one for another used bike. Visit the thrift stores and/or stalk sales for one pair of pants and a couple of tops. Like tiffanywu said, you don't need much. Eventually you will hit paydirt. The hunt can be fun especially if the goal is something you'd enjoy!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-20, 10:45 PM  
Leonana

Thanks, Tiffany and Linda! Perhaps I’ll consider it in the future.
Old 12-17-20, 12:59 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I'll send you my sole bike jersey to get you on the path/trail! I have enough pockets on my other pieces of clothing (always been a fan of pockets...) and I almost always stash a small bag with a bottle of water and other small items as needed and strap it with a bungee to my bike rack, so my nice bike jersey is underutilized
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-20, 07:53 PM  
Leonana

Thanks for the offer! If I decide to start, I might take you up on it!
Old 12-17-20, 09:49 PM  
ncl

Around where I live, lots of men and women of all ages bike. I do live in the mountains and a fair amount of that is mountain biking, but also folks road ride around here too. I do think there are more men than women, but I see lots of women as well and have plenty of women friends that bike.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 11:55 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I wrote here the other day because I can't run any more. I said I was OK with it mentally, but I'm actually getting more and more bummed about it the more it sinks in. At any rate, my doctor said biking was a good alternative, but I'm afraid my impression of biking isn't very positive. Where I live I see two types of cyclists - parents riding around slowly with their kids and men (alone or in groups) riding fast and aggressively with snarly expressions, over the top clothing, and just a general "attitude". I don't see it as a fitness activity for sort of an average woman in her early 60s. Does anyone here bike? Do you feel out of place? Are there actual biking events for women similar to women's runs or women's triathlons?
Im an engineer and a video gamer, so I frequently find myself in the company of XY chromosome types. I say do what you love, and tell any harasses to f-off.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biking, cycling