Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-17, 11:22 AM  
carly

I refuse to give anyone the last 6 digits of my SSN (4 digits is ok). Prior to 2011 the first 3 digits represented the geographical area where the SSN was originally issued. Most states have only 2 to 8 options. So if I give out the 6 digits and the person also knows I am from let's say Maine - there are only 3 options available for the first 3 digits. While I know Equifax already has this info..I don't like that they are asking me to print it again over the Internet.
carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 01:54 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I tried going through the steps on annualcreditreport.com and got nowhere. Equifax and Experian could not return a report on me so I did not bother with the last one. Both attempts ended up in a suggestion to complete a detailed form and mail them copies of my mortgage, driver's license, SS card, etc. Yeah, right. I have a friend who had her identity stolen by a postal worker!

I'm going to my bank and talk to a manager there and also making an EAP appointment to have a free consult with a financial advisor.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 02:12 PM  
Carol K

That's bizarre. I used to run all three reports on annualcreditreport.com every year.
Old 09-17-17, 02:59 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
That's bizarre. I used to run all three reports on annualcreditreport.com every year.
Me too. I was going to do this again since I haven't done it since for awhile. I used to do what somebody suggested where you take turns doing a report from one of them every four months.
Old 09-17-17, 03:05 PM  
Carol K

That's what I used to do, but now I can get less-detailed credit reports from all the companies where I have a bank account or credit card, so I haven't been doing it lately.
Old 09-17-17, 07:15 PM  
cyana

The best advice I've heard to date is to act as though you were affected even if you aren't sure and make sure you have freezes put on your credit with the credit reporting agencies so no one can open new/fraudulent accounts in your name. It is a minor annoyance when you need to unfreeze to open a new account (I've done it and it really wasn't a big deal), but far less hassle than the thousands of hours it would take to deal with proving you didn't open those fraudulent accounts.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 07:21 PM  
JustSandra

I got copies of all three of my credit reports from annualcreditreport.com today. Equifax was slower than the other two agencies, but it worked. Luckily I saw no surprises. Although I was likely not affected by the breach according to Equifax, I still plan to freeze my accounts anyway as a precaution.

Pat58: That is scary about your friend whose identity was stolen by a postal worker!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 11:49 PM  
beanpeanut

Did anyone here notice that they would be notified by a letter in the mail if there was a compromise?

Seems like same sh++!!....different day.

There must be a few of me out there as of date, this is not my first rodeo in the identity theft specter.
beanpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 08:38 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpeanut View Post
Did anyone here notice that they would be notified by a letter in the mail if there was a compromise?

Seems like same sh++!!....different day.

There must be a few of me out there as of date, this is not my first rodeo in the identity theft specter.
Not necessarily. Equifax is only notifying by mail those whose credit card numbers were also compromised.

The best thing to do is to assume that your personal information was compromised, like cyana said.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 07:29 PM  
angie_nrs

Something you may also want to consider is to check with your homeowners insurance and see if you have identity theft protection. I called my agent and asked and I had to add it to my policy since it wasn't included. A $15,000 policy with a $250 deductible cost me $7 per year. It covers expenses like lawyers, lost work, document fees, advocate costs, etc. It does NOT cover any loss associated with the theft though.

Tags
data breach, equifax, experian, transunion