Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-16, 04:18 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I say pick a color that makes you happy and maybe add some lighting to brighten things, too.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 05:53 PM  
PrairieGem

You sound like you have the same color scheme we do! Olive/rust/beige/sage/russet--warm fall colors. It's hard to find those right now; the lime/apple greens have dominated the past several Pantone seasons, and now we're in bright crayon-y colors. :/

When we redid our dark unfinished basement, we put in vinyl tile squares in two shades of wood-tone to look like a big checkerboard floor, very similar to this. We painted the exposed ceiling (beams, pipes, ducts, wires, everything) a brighter forest green, and the walls are the color of vanilla ice cream, a bright cheery white, but not stark/sterile. I worked out in there for years, and it was bright like a gym or studio and always felt clean because of the colors. My office two floors up has a wall of dark bookcases and a wall of dark closet doors, and an angled ceiling (like an attic) that dips down into one of the walls. We painted it a lovely shade of linen/parchment (light cream but not yellowy at all) and an accent wall of very deep royal blue. The blue took like 11 coats!! But it's crisp and not overpowering and it's a great space to work in.

It can be really hard to get the right shade of orange, I agree! DH and I both love orange, but the master bedroom of our house was painted--every single surface (ceilings, cabinets, baseboards/molding/windows, etc) this awful old-sweet-potato shade that went with nothing. We wanted a nice warm neutral, and ended up with a pretty, rich beige the color of a medium-toned foundation makeup. It might be too dark for a basement, but we did the ceiling one or two shades lighter (same color strip), and it's very soothing. Finding a creamy white you like for the walls, with an accent color of that rich beige, might be nice.

There are some KCM videos (Bootcamp and a couple others) where the walls are *the* most off-putting shade of... dusty coral? It's horrible to even watch, let alone live with every day!

If you find a color you really like but it's too dark or bright or intense, it's easy for the paint stores to tone it down by sliding up or down the paint chip, or by mixing it with white or... grey/black? (forgetting my color theory here; you'll want to check this one!)

Good luck!! Finding the right color is hard, but can make all the difference.
Old 07-13-16, 09:45 AM  
Cowgirl32

Mine is called beachy sand. And my workout room is a beachy theme.

Tags
workout rooms