Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-16, 09:42 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

My stylist works out of her home. I always pay her cash + 10% and I don't want a receipt, that way she can chose to declare it to the tax man...or not.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 05:29 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
I agree! But we've been mentioning "Tiny Bubble" for awhile. Is the bubble still tiny ?
Haha! He'll always be Tiny to me
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 06:05 AM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Haha! He'll always be Tiny to me
OT, but my neighbor and I had a giggle this week about her nephew Little Timmy and my nephew Little Dave--both of whom are now adults!
Old 07-07-16, 07:45 AM  
Rhonda

My hairstylist also works out of her home. I give $5 no matter what. She is more expensive than any other stylist I have gone to but she has done some great stuff to my hair.

She is also appreciative that I know her family comes first and sometimes she cancels but then she will give me a discount. Heck one time I went in and said I didn't like the cut she gave me last time and she then gave me a free cut. Totally wasn't expecting that.

Around Christmas I will give a little more but figure if she charges me so much, I am sure the shampoo, rinse, color, don't cost what she charges me. So I may be cheap but hey never said i was a good tipper
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 08:25 AM  
Izzy

Some nail salons have a sign that says if you are paying by credit card, and plan to tip, not to add the tip to the credit card charge because the technicians will not receive that tip. This can be very frustrating if you planned to tip and didn't know their policy and didn't bring cash. I now always bring cash with me for that reason.

As for hair, I always tip the hairdresser $5-10 and tip the shampoo girl a few bucks as well.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 10:20 AM  
mtnmom

I tip $15 for highlights + cut, sometimes $20. I've been going to the same person for the past 14 years! She's cut back on her schedule since she now is a mom to two little girls. But she's always made room for me in her appointment book and I really appreciate that.
Old 07-07-16, 10:36 AM  
Demeris

I go to a place called Great Clips. I found a woman who's a genius. If she wanted to move to a fancy shop, she could easily charge 10Xs what Great Clips charges for a cut.

My hair cut is 13$, and right now it's in a chin-length bob. I give her a 7$ tip every time I go, which has been about every four months--her cuts always look good as they lengthen, something I can't say about most stylists I've gone to in the past 37 years (before then I just had long hair, like every other girl my age).

When I had to color my roots, I went through stylists the way Corvairs went through oil. I was always on the search for someone who could give me a decent cut. I went to high end salons and cheap chains. I always tipped 20%, whether the stylist owned the shop or rented a chair. When I had a shampoo-er, I always gave her 5$, but it's been over 10 years since I had a stylist who had a shampoo person.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 10:41 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
Im my opinion (before children and moving to another country. . I was a high end NYC stylist and colorist). If a stylist is the owner with employees. . Tips are not customary. Most salon owners will turn it down. If the stylist is renting a chair.. it's nice to tip. They may be paying high rent and spending a good amount on quality products and tools.
Good to know. My waxing lady took tips when she was renting a room/table part-time from a massage therapist, but stopped when she opened her own business. However my hair dresser continued taking tips after she bought the salon from the previous owner (and before I'm not sure if she was renting the chair or working for a percentage.) I don't mind though because her rate is very competitive for the quality of haircut I get (I drive 4 hours for my haircut every few months.) For a while i felt like i wasnt paying enough and tipped 20%+$5 until her rate went up. Honestly, I don't understand not tipping at least 20% if you are so happy with your hairdresser that you keep going back.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 10:49 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Honestly, I don't understand not tipping at least 20% if you are so happy with your hairdresser that you keep going back.
Some people are on a fixed income. One may have the money for the cut, but the money for a 20% tip can be a burden. And yes, we're on a fitness board and dvds are hobbies, but people can economize that too. If I had to choose between my fitness passion and tipping 20%, I'd probably choose my fitness passion and tip 15%. At least I'm showing my appreciation by tipping. Luckily, I can afford both, but not everyone is in my situation.

That being said, I will always tip anyone willing to do my hair I'm a natural, thick haired, 4a curly, so anyone willing to do it has my upmost appreciation lol! It's a 2.5 hour job to wash, blow dry, flat iron, and trim. I only go three, sometimes four times a year to get anything done to my hair.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 10:50 AM  
leigh1673

My old stylist in Va rented a chair from the salon. I still gave her 20% tip. She was awesome- great with curly hair and a sweetheart. I miss her! My PA stylist is good with hair, but not the friendliest gal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
What is customary to tip when you go to a salon? Does it depend on what you get done?
I always give 20% pretty much across the board.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tipping, tipping hairstylist, tipping restaurants