Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-04, 09:45 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Angry Why do my ebay buyers not read my paypal rules? (Rant about credit card payments)

Can't they read?!

My ebay listings specifically state I accept "money orders, cashiers checks or Paypal (NO CREDIT CARDS please, only bank or paypal balance transfers)" I had 6 auctions in July. Half the buyers tried to pay by paypal using a credit card. I had one buyer tell me it was "inconvenient" for her to get a money order and she never paid (even after I told her I'd leave negative feedback, which I did).

Last week I listed 8 items. I decided to invoice buyers myself because I figured ebay generated invoicing didn't emphasize my no credit card policy enough. Even with an email restating my payment policy, 2 have tried to pay by credit card and 2 have asked me how to pay by paypal without a credit card.

Duh!!! Can't you read the directions?! Why did you bid if you didn't know how to pay? It wastes my precious time to invoice manually and to respond to buyers who aren't paypal savvy or who ignored my directions.

If I upgrade to a premier account that takes credit cards, paypal will charge me 2.9% plus $.30 on ALL incoming payments (including those paid by bank or balance transfers). That makes me mad too! I am considering upgrading to premier and promoting my acceptance of credit cards on the theory that people pay more (thereby recouping my paypal fee) when it's credit not real cash. I resent I feel "forced" to do this. I am tired of wasting time responding to these people.

Are the rest of you having this problem? Do you take credit cards?

Leslie
LeslieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-04, 10:25 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Just for the record.....

Once I bought from a gal who said she took non-cc paypal only. I believed her and remembererd. But when ebay sent the invoice it actually stated that I could pay by credit card. So I did. Boy, she got nasty! I emailed her the invoice and she became much nicer and I resent the payment by non-cc.

I wish they (ebay) wouldn't send an invoice at all if it's just a generic form. I thought their rules were more "official" than the sellers blurp. I was wrong. Alexis
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-04, 10:27 PM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

I do now

Like you, I was irritated by how Paypal would charge commission on all payments. But after people not reading my descriptions, waiting for money orders, and several non-paying bidders, I decided to upgrade, and accept credit cards. In my last batch of 8 auctions, everyone paid, almost immediately.

So yes, I think its worth it, just to save the hassle.
Katie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-04, 10:41 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I agree Katie, but then people don't read my instructions about how I accept only paypal, not checks or money orders or whatever. If it's not one thing it's another.

I do find it very convenient to accept credit cards through paypal though. Like Katie says, everyone pays right away and I don't have stuff sitting around waiting to ship.
Old 09-01-04, 10:46 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I've had the same problem. Thankfully, it has only happened a few times. I think that some people, especially people newer to Ebay, don't realize that Paypal has 2 different accounts, and when they see the word "Paypal" they think that they can use a credit card.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-04, 10:51 PM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

Loretta, I listed a Urban Rebounder DVD, and a bidder e-mailed me to say she thought the rebounder was included, and asked to cancel her bid (which I did). Now I add "this auction is for the DVD only, no equipment included".

I think alot of people don't read the description.
Katie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-04, 11:54 PM  
mtnmom

Leslie,

I could have written your post myself! I think part of the problem is when you submit the Ebay listing and include Paypal as a form of payment, the logos for the credit cards automatically are input.

Things actually were running smoothly until this summer. I just had to wait for money orders. But this summer I had problems with 5 out of 8 sales. One woman tried to send a credit card payment through, then when I explained I couldn't accept it, she said she didn't want to inconvenience me by having to wait for a money order - and left me neutral feedback.

I write in my description, as well as my payment instructions: I accept Paypal (NON CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS ONLY). People still try to pay by credit card and when I deny the payment, with a full explanation, they still e-mail me asking why?

I try to keep my listings simple and easy to understand. I no longer accept bids from eBayers with less than a 5 rating. But, like you, I resent being charged to list my item, final value fee, and a fee for accepting payment. I use to have a premiere account, but when Paypal took their cut for money that was being refunded to me (wrong item sent), that was the last straw.

I'm interested in any answers others may have for you.

Diane
mtnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 12:14 AM  
shamrock22769

Guilty

I'm a bad girl and just assume everyone takes PayPal (I always use my bank account anyway so the CC problem is not an issue with me) - on several occassions I've gone to pay and realized the seller didn't accept PayPal at all and I'd have to haul my cookies to the bank to get a money order (I always have, without arguement to the seller - it was my fault for getting excited about what I was bidding on and not reading fully). But, the short answer is, "no. we don't always read"

I put up my very first Ebay listing this week. hmmm. the whole credit card thing never occured to me... Thanks for giving me something to think about.

- Shamrock
shamrock22769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 12:40 AM  
getstrong

What Abbe said...

I can see how people might not realize there are other Paypal payment methods, or understand that credit card payments cannot be made to personal Paypal accounts. Paypal advertises you can pay anyone who has an email address!

Some ebayers do take plain ol' credit cards, so a new Paypal member might interpret "no credit cards" as meaning don't call or email you with their credit card.

An alternative wording (yeah, it's wordy - but it may help educate the newbies. Good thing there's cut and paste):

"Paypal payments are accepted ONLY if paid from your checking account or an existing Paypal cash balance. Paypal rules do NOT allow credit card transactions to be transferred to a "personal" Paypal account, so I will NOT accept Paypal payments made by credit card!! If you haven't set up a checking account option in your Paypal account, you will need to pay me by cashier's check or money order."

Isn't Paypal owned by Ebay? Maybe some pressure is needed! I agree it is very confusing to see the "charge card" logos. They need a separate Paypal logo for when it's limited to bank/cash transfers.

The wording is vague: "Personal accounts can send payments to and receive payments from, anyone with an email address. Business accounts can send and receive payments, and also accept credit card payments." Only by reading both types do you see that credit card payments are apparently treated differently.
getstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 05:19 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

This also makes me crazy. I sold a spinning DVD and my buyer insisted on paying with paypal using a CC which I said I didn't take in my original auction. It took almost two months to help her understand why. It was her first auction so she was pretty clueless (or so she said).

I know list my auctions as if I don't take any paypal payments which means those DARN credit cards symbols are not displayed. When the auction ends I just notify the winning bidder about what forms of payment I accept. It has made it much easier.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote