Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-21, 09:29 PM  
Tugger31

Question Plantar Fasciitis

Along with stretching, icing, night splints etc I have read in past posts that floor work had helped as well as glute work. Some of said they were still able to do Jessica Smith barefoot. I need help with a specific rotation (dvds only, no streaming) or a fairly specific plug-in workout ie. "floor work---glute & outer thigh" instead of "floor work". I know high impact is out but I would love to get my heart rate up a bit. Because of a previous injury, I cannot do kettlebell swings and anything with too quick up and down movements isn't good for my vertigo (I sound like a hot mess lol!)

Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-21, 09:33 PM  
bfit

Have you tried chair exercise? It was a life saver for me a few months ago when I had a broken foot. Paul Eugene, Pahla B, and Caroline Jordan are all good instructors you can find free on You Tube. Donovan Green is another one, and also Metro PT although I have not done those as much. If you search for those instructors be sure to include "chair" in the search terms because they also have non-chair workouts. Caroline Jordan has a number of workouts for the lower body that are all on the floor. Look under her name and "floor barre" or "hurt foot workout". She has a chair Pilates workout that is a killer!
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 06:29 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

My sis gets foot and calf massages that help.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 07:52 AM  
alisoncooks

There is a practice on Jane Adams Stronger Standing Balance DVD called “improving the muscles of balance” or something like that. Anyway, it has some very brief floor work, as well as really nice foot strengthening and massage. I love the foot massage section. It’s my go-to when my PF is really flaring up.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 09:25 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
My sis gets foot and calf massages that help.
Foot and calf massage, calf stretches, Jill Miller's yoga tune up ball practices for feet....

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 01:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

strengthening your calf muscles is a remedy for plantar fasciitis. if you look at the anatomy of the feet, you will see the tendons connect from the calves to the bottom of the feet.

sit on a chair and place a towel on the floor. take your toes (can do both feet or just one at a time) and "grab" the towel with just your toes. you will feel your calf muscles engage.

standing calf raises, weighted or unweighted, will also strengthen your calves. weighted refers to holding dumbbells in your hands while doing this move.

workouts:
Classical Stretch season 10 & 12 has a segment devoted to plantar fasciitis. Margaret Richard's "Getting Better" is the workout she developed after her foot surgery.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.

Last edited by bzar; 09-30-21 at 04:03 PM. Reason: added CS Season 10
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 01:18 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Stretching & acupressure with a spiky massage ball really helped me. I like to do most of my workouts barefoot & find these PF compression socks very helpful when I have a flare up.
https://www.amazon.com/SB-SOX-Compre...s%2C238&sr=8-6

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 01:37 PM  
warriorprincess

Oofos flip flops with arch support were a lifesaver for me. I thought going barefoot would keep my feet strong, but nope. If I spend the first few hours in these flip flops, my plantar fascitis stays away, despite the fact that I feel like I'm waddling around like an old lady in them.

I mostly did self paced weight workouts when I was dealing with it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 04:01 PM  
Tugger31

Thanks for all the good info! I'm looking for a good rotation to not lose too much strength and one that includes strength work that would be safe and beneficial. Any suggestions??
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 10:05 PM  
angie_nrs

I cut out the running and high impact the last time I had PF and replaced those workouts with strength and low impact (or no impact) cardio. I leaned towards cardio coach workouts on the elliptical. Those workouts always give my heart and lungs a huge workout, but no impact on the feet. However, I'd mostly concentrate on strength workouts with minimal cardio.

I leaned towards slower paced muscle workouts like Cathe's slow and heavy and floor work like Cathe's To the Mat and Ballet Physique Amped Up and Signature Scuplt. Squeeze would also be another good one. I also did calf raises when watching TV or cooking dinner and would do leg stretches on the floor if on the computer or phone. I also researched anti-inflammatory eats and incorporated more of that into my life. When it was really painful, I'd use a topical magnesium salve to ease the pain.

I rarely run anymore due to the fear of getting PF back. Walking workouts also don't work for me either. If I do a 5K again next year, I'll have to slowly work up to it and hope it doesn't catch up to me.

Tags
plantar fasciitis, seated workouts