Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-21, 10:24 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Wow. 2-3 is totally not healthy. I’d keep searching for help because that lack of sleep is really causing body harm.
This is something I'm concerned about. The exhaustion makes life hard enough but I worry about the long-term health risks. I went to bed tonight at 9:20pm and woke at 11pm. Ugh...

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 03:29 AM  
antbuko

I've been suffering from insomnia intermittently for years as well, but lately it's been particularly consistent. I started a retail job in February of this year and it's more physical labor than my previous jobs which were all sedentary and I haven't really adapted well to it. I attribute my insomnia to this. I am very tired after dinner and have difficulty staying awake and wind up going to bed too early and then waking up at 2:00 a.m. and staying up for a couple of hours. Sometimes I do chores or work on projects in the middle of the night. An unfortunate side effect is that I lack motivation and stamina to work out consistently. I've always loved walking in the morning and so I tried it one morning before work - a three-mile vigorous walk. I wound up feeling feverish by the end of the workday, although as it turns out I didn't really have a fever, and I was wiped out for a couple of days afterwards. I really miss it. I get depressed when I don't get to do my walks and this also compounds the insominia.
Old 07-30-21, 07:36 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I've been suffering from insomnia intermittently for years as well, but lately it's been particularly consistent. I started a retail job in February of this year and it's more physical labor than my previous jobs which were all sedentary and I haven't really adapted well to it. I attribute my insomnia to this. I am very tired after dinner and have difficulty staying awake and wind up going to bed too early and then waking up at 2:00 a.m. and staying up for a couple of hours. Sometimes I do chores or work on projects in the middle of the night. An unfortunate side effect is that I lack motivation and stamina to work out consistently. I've always loved walking in the morning and so I tried it one morning before work - a three-mile vigorous walk. I wound up feeling feverish by the end of the workday, although as it turns out I didn't really have a fever, and I was wiped out for a couple of days afterwards. I really miss it. I get depressed when I don't get to do my walks and this also compounds the insominia.
Hi Helen!!
would working a later shift help you?

Erica (and others), worrying about not sleeping ( I have read) seems to exacerbate insomnia. It's a vicious cycle

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 07:39 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Hi Helen!!

Erica (and others), worrying about not sleeping ( I have read) seems to exacerbate insomnia. It's a vicious cycle
Oh, I've had insomnia for so long that I don't worry about it all. It's just part of life. I've found what works best for me at home but i'm really concerned about our upcoming road trip since we're sharing a hotel room. I don't know how that's going to work if I'm up all night.

Erica
Old 07-30-21, 07:53 AM  
donnamp

I have had trouble sleeping on and off for years now. It got particularly worse this year in the spring with DST. I am noticing a marginal improvement now that the days are getting shorter again - but that could also be a fluke!

I am not totally sure what is going on w/ me - probably a combo of things - but it is literally tiring and wears me out.

I have no trouble falling asleep, it is staying asleep and often I wake up and can't go back to sleep - sort of like Erica and her two naps - eventually I get back to sleep but I still find myself dragging the next day.

When I can't sleep I usually get up and go into another room to read for awhile.

Erica - can you get suite - for your trip? That way there would be another room for you to go to when you can't sleep. I have had the same issue - at one time I recall going into the bathtub w/a pillow and blanket to read - I kid you not - it was driving me crazy to lay there awake while my DH and DD were sound asleep.

Or maybe you could bring headphones and listen to a book or podcast when you can't sleep? I also bring my Kindle and I can sometimes read while my DH is still sleeping. He says he can't sleep either - but that is not true - he sleeps like a baby! LOL!

Take care

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 08:30 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
Could you possibly need more water ? Water causes a lot of minor illnesses.

I’m sorry you’re working with this so really see a doctor.

You may be carrying the weight of doing something you don’t really want to do and you’re worried about it, subconsciously.

I know people don’t like pills but sometimes they do start you on a better track until you can make it a habit in your body. They aren’t for ever but try 2 weeks. Journal your sleep and if it doesn’t change, you really should see a doctor.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 08:34 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Oh, I've had insomnia for so long that I don't worry about it all. It's just part of life. I've found what works best for me at home but i'm really concerned about our upcoming road trip since we're sharing a hotel room. I don't know how that's going to work if I'm up all night.

Erica
Go downstairs and walk the halls, walk the back steps, sit by the pool.

So the doctors have said you have to live this way? Maybe see a neuropath doc. Really, this is not normal!!!! Sounds like you’re giving up on your health.

If you didn’t poop for a few days, do you call that normal and say it’s been that way? No, there is a GI problem festering and it needs to be taken care of.

~~~Cheryl

Old 07-30-21, 09:00 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

Erica - can you get suite - for your trip? That way there would be another room for you to go to when you can't sleep. I have had the same issue - at one time I recall going into the bathtub w/a pillow and blanket to read - I kid you not - it was driving me crazy to lay there awake while my DH and DD were sound asleep.

Or maybe you could bring headphones and listen to a book or podcast when you can't sleep? I also bring my Kindle and I can sometimes read while my DH is still sleeping. He says he can't sleep either - but that is not true - he sleeps like a baby! LOL!

Take care

Donna

I thought about a suite, just hate to change reservations and especially increase the expense of the trip. Hanging out in the bathroom isn't such a terrible idea! I didn't even think about that. DH is a very light sleeper and would wake up if I tried doing anything in the same room.

Quote:
Go downstairs and walk the halls, walk the back steps, sit by the pool.

So the doctors have said you have to live this way? Maybe see a neuropath doc. Really, this is not normal!!!! Sounds like you’re giving up on your health.
I did this last year (left the room) but then I was just getting up too early instead of becoming fully awake every couple of hours, so it was easier.

My doctors stink. But it was discovered that my hypothalamus isn't working and I need to have that addressed - that is connected with sleep. And I have given up on my health due to constant crappy medical care. It's just overwhelming and expensive and frustrating.

Erica
Old 07-30-21, 09:20 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I

My doctors stink. But it was discovered that my hypothalamus isn't working and I need to have that addressed - that is connected with sleep. And I have given up on my health due to constant crappy medical care. It's just overwhelming and expensive and frustrating.

Erica
Ok. Do not GIVE app on YOU. That means, don’t stop trying to get help.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

If you say you’re giving up on you due to expense, why exercise?

You don’t want to give up and giving up is the short end of the stick.

Find a forum? Maybe they have more suggestions on a remedy.

Do more meditating. Do some yin yoga before bedtime.
Use lavender essential oil on your temples and feet, where that nob of bone sticks out.

Do you drink caffeinated beverages?

~~~Cheryl

Old 07-30-21, 09:32 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Ok. Do not GIVE app on YOU. That means, don’t stop trying to get help.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

If you say you’re giving up on you due to expense, why exercise?

Do you drink caffeinated beverages?
I exercise because it helps me physically and mentally. But I have to give that up soon due to upcoming surgery on my foot. I've had an injury since May that keeps me from running (my favorite cardio) and other activities. It's a very long recovery and also expensive.

I do drink caffeinated beverages but make sure I stop early in the day.

Erica

Tags
insomnia, sleep, sleep help, sleep issues, sleep mask