Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-21, 05:52 PM  
fanofladyvols

And maybe post pics?

I promise to drool on the screen

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 06:17 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
adawn...you could do both right, make a few smaller??
I'm worried if I make a few smaller, the baking time might need to be reduced for just the littler guys. But maybe I could do a pan of regular by itself and then a pan of smaller by itself but using dough from the same batch?

I also might have to post the photos as google drive links or something because it's a pain trying to resize photos small enough to post on VF and with smaller photos, less detail can be seen.

I will report back later this evening...
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 06:19 PM  
Vantreesta

That's what I would do, separate pans for the two sizes.

I was all excited to bake today but I went and hurt myself so I'm elevating my leg.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 11:15 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Well, you guys might think I'm crazy but I ended up making TWO complete batches this evening. I did one batch regular which yielded 16 cookies (largest cookies were under 3.5x3.5"). Then I made a second batch, forming smaller cookies which yielded 27 cookies total (they look so small to me!--they are approx 2.5x2.5" with the largest being close to 2.75x2.75"). The second batch is cooling on the cookie sheets now.

I took photos as I went with the first batch and for the second batch of smaller cookies I am only taking post-oven photos. But I have to go watch an episode of Vera on Britbox now. Will try to post more regarding the cookies in the wee hours of the morning (I'm a night owl so usually up late anyway).

I discovered I use approx 3.25oz of chocolate chips with this recipe--sort of a rounded 1/2 cup. Also, baking time ended up being the same, thickness about the same, taste/texture the same. I had to taste test a couple of course, purely for quality control purposes....

I'll be back to update with photos later.
Old 07-28-21, 03:08 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I updated my first recipe post with some additional info, including this:

*The smaller cookies are just smaller versions of the bigger cookie. Same taste/texture except after cooling completely, the smaller size was slightly less soft/dough-like in the center. I've only done the smaller size this once, so I could decrease baking time by a minute or two but some people may prefer the slightly more fully-cooked centers of the smaller cookies. They're still soft and chewy with crisp outside, just less doughy center.

I also added a few details in a couple of the steps in the "Directions" section that I thought might be helpful.

I uploaded a bunch of photos to a "Chocolate chip cookie" album in my google photos account (never used the photos section of my google account before). The photos progress in chronological order from the completed browned butter step to completed first batch. Then there are some pics of the smaller cookie batch pre- and post-baking. I placed a wooden ruler and a walmart brand sandwich baggie for size reference in some of the photos.

For both batches, I tried to take photos right when the cookies first came out of the oven and were puffiest and then after they had cooled for 10 minutes or so and deflated a bit (so that's why all the photos staring at the cookie sheets--you might be able to detect the deflation as the photos progress?).

Link to google chocolate chip cookie photo album which I will leave up for approx 24 hours:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qKmpp9cqrhuAQaV59

Disclaimer: I am not a food blogger or even a very good baker (except for a few kinds of easy cookies). I also don't take especially good photos. And I didn't clean my kitchen or anything special other than what I normally do to prep for cookie-making. And I realized as I was taking photos that I was using my rather misshapen whisk at one point (I have a better whisk but it's in the drawer and I kind of like using the misshapen whisk that's in the countertop utensil holder for this recipe, not sure why.) Also, my designated butter-browning pan is ancient and was not exactly top of the line even when it was new. I think it could be from my dad's first marriage? And my mom was his second marriage in 1976. And yet I still use a lot of the pots from this set. I have a few nicer pieces but not in a size that's right for browning a stick or two of butter. Did I mention I'm not a food blogger?
Old 07-28-21, 05:38 AM  
Tugger31

Thanks so much for the detailed photos!! They look delicious and I love the looks of them from a baking perspective too! You did forget to post your address so we could all come over and help you eat them, purely an oversight I'm sure
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 06:56 AM  
BunnyHop

Thanks for all the details! And photos, too? Wow.

(I've only begun to learn about sharing photos, LOL!)
Old 07-28-21, 11:22 AM  
Vantreesta

They look delicious!

My calf is feeling much better today so I plan to bake cookies while I watch baseball, two of my favorite things in the world!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 11:47 AM  
fanofladyvols

adawn so kind of you to post the photos

Question for the cookie baking class :

We like our cookies to be more browned exterior..
could you bake at higher temp initially ? Then reduce? Or would you think it would mess up the chewy texture?

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 07-28-21, 11:49 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
They look delicious!

My calf is feeling much better today so I plan to bake cookies while I watch baseball, two of my favorite things in the world!
That's great to hear!!

Tags
chocolate chip cookies, recipe, recipes