Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-21, 07:03 PM  
TinaT

I'm glad I asked the question,.. it has brought me to deleting my account all together. I feel so much better. I love my family and friends but I don't need to know everything about everyone.

FB has really changed over the years, so it's time for me to move on. If a person has to block, unfriend, snooze ppl, in order to feel good about being on, then something is wrong with this picture. IMO.

Like I said before... I like simple.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 08:56 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Tiffany, that was fantastic. I have no social media accounts and live in an almost total news vacuum, which keeps my life very serene. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-26-21, 07:23 PM  
rvagal

I'm taking a FB and Twitter break right now, and I can see that I've been addicted to them. It's awful. The one thing I miss is daily work-out checkins and ideas for other workouts to do (hence I'm visiting here!), but it really turns my brain to mush. More power to the people who can use SM without getting sucked in.
Old 02-27-21, 04:50 AM  
killoffsonny

I took a two week break from Facebook. Didn't really miss it while I was off. But once I got back on I thought to myself "man I can't believe I went two weeks without being on Facebook. Its great".

Deactivated my Twitter account. Its not a lot of fun without some people that have been kicked off.
Old 02-27-21, 09:16 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I refused to join FB, Twitter etc because they initially seemed like huge time sucks and honestly the data mining seemed very creepy and manipulative. After watching the effects on friends, family and even total strangers, I never came to regret that decision. These platforms seem to bring out the worst in people and I honestly believe that the creators stoke that frenzy to make more money. I especially feel sorry for children/teens because they seem to be under a huge emotional burden thanks to the push of body image issues, bullying etc.

More and more, I am hearing people around me talk about getting off these platforms for good. The timing surprises me since many people are home more due to Covid restrictions. But maybe that has also given people the time to re-evaluate. And maybe Covid's emotional burden has made people unwilling to tolerate any additional (optional) negativity in their lives. I don't think the human brain benefits from a non-stop barrage of information, judgment, criticisms, envy etc

One thing is certain--less sitting in front of the screen can forward fitness goals and often reduce stress
I never joined facebook because it seemed very creepy and manipulative to me, too. I've received flack from friends for not joining and I miss out on a lot of event info because I don't have an account, but I don't care.
After watching The Social Dilemma on Netflix, I'm happy with my decision. People are addicted to social media and so much false information is spread. I can live without that in my life.
Old 02-27-21, 12:19 PM  
rvagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I never joined facebook because it seemed very creepy and manipulative to me, too. I've received flack from friends for not joining and I miss out on a lot of event info because I don't have an account, but I don't care.
After watching The Social Dilemma on Netflix, I'm happy with my decision. People are addicted to social media and so much false information is spread. I can live without that in my life.
Yes, it's a shame. They need to offer a pay version that's ad and manipulation free. I want to see photos of friends and swap ideas in hobby groups, but I don't want to fight against an algorithm that's trying to make me spend more and more time on there.

Tags
facebook, social media