Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-19, 06:57 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Question Large cardio mat

I know this has been asked before, but I couldn't search for it.
Does anyone know the large rectangular rubber (?) mat Jessica Smith and others use in their videos, about 6'x8'? And does it really cushion well enough for cardio and/or can it be used over a rug? TIA!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-19, 07:08 AM  
sherry7899

I had started a thread on them. I think the brand Jessica uses is Square 36.

ETA:

here is the thread I started:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...hlight=gorilla

I am very happy with the brand I bought. It slides a little, but not enough to bother me. The cushioning has really helped my knees, hips and back feel better doing cardio. I do dance cardio and kickboxing. I have only used it for dance cardio so far, not kickboxing, but I need the cushioning more for dance the kickboxing. I may try kickboxing later this week.

ETA again:

This may be the one you are looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Square36-Extr...ords=square+36

Please note it weighs thirty pounds, so it might be a pain to roll it up if you can't leave it out.

I'd love one that size, but I have nowhere to leave it out. My cats would ruin it. I bought one that is six foot by five foot. It is enough space for the dance cardio so far.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-19, 07:33 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I have an identical mat to Jessica's mat. I ordered it from Yoga Warehouse about a year ago. I'm not sure if they still have it or not. I do really like it for Yoga, Pilates, any kind of barefoot workouts. I use mine over carpet. It is about the same thickness as an average Yoga mat.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-19, 08:02 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thanks Sherry! I like the Gxmmat you bought and it does come in a 6'x8' size. It would stay on the floor in my exercise room, my husband would just need to roll it and carry it out when he teaches yoga there.

Do you find it's really thick enough? I'm tempted to use it on bare wood flooring without a rug, but I need it to also dampen sound somewhat for people living beneath us. Fwiw I mostly do walking-style cardio and rarely do high impact exercise.

Thanks again, and happy almost-birthday!
Old 02-20-19, 08:05 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

And thanks, Sherry #2! I think the cardio mats are different to barefoot-style mats...more slippery I think.
Old 02-20-19, 08:20 AM  
sherry7899

The cardio mat I have actually has a little grip, which is a good thing
Mine is not slippery at all.

I also bought from.this company because they answered my questions. Square 36 did not write back.

Thank.you for the early birthday wishes!

Old 02-20-19, 09:40 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
The cardio mat I have actually has a little grip, which is a good thing
Mine is not slippery at all.
Oh wow, good to know! The main complaint against Square 36 is its apparent slipperiness.
Quote:
Thank.you for the early birthday wishes!
Hope it's so, so wonderful!!!!
Old 02-20-19, 10:04 AM  
sherry7899

Gina, that is another reason I did not buy the Square 36. I am already a klutz. I do not need extra help.

I used it for yoga this morning without a yoga mat on top of it. It works well for standing, seated and hands and knees asanas. Hoiwever, for savasana, a yoga mat would definitely be more comfortable.

I am just hoping for decent weather for my birthday. I have not had good luck on birthdays. I have had bronchitis one year, the flu another year, pink eye another year, and blizzards multiple times. My father broke his ankle in my 16th birthday so we were at the hospital the whole day. I just want a totally uneventful day!

Old 02-20-19, 10:13 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Ooh, I was just thinking-- I wonder if I could put a heavy duty nonslip felt rug underlay under it, like this:

That should make it feel thicker and help dampen sound too, no?
Old 02-20-19, 10:15 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Gina, that is another reason I did not buy the Square 36. I am already a klutz. I do not need extra help.

I used it for yoga this morning without a yoga mat on top of it. It works well for standing, seated and hands and knees asanas. Hoiwever, for savasana, a yoga mat would definitely be more comfortable.

I am just hoping for decent weather for my birthday. I have not had good luck on birthdays. I have had bronchitis one year, the flu another year, pink eye another year, and blizzards multiple times. My father broke his ankle in my 16th birthday so we were at the hospital the whole day. I just want a totally uneventful day!
Ugh I hear you. Winter birthdays can be harsh.
I just assumed (..?) you had an amazing concert planned at some point to help you celebrate.

I wish you unusually beautiful weather and NO mishaps!!

Tags
floor mats, flooring, gorilla mat, mats, workout mat