Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-17, 08:13 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Big Floors Dance Flooring

So I really like dance workouts and dancing in general, and I have been using the DanceSocks over my shoes on my carpeted floor, which work well, but I've always wanted more of an actual dance floor. I've seen threads here before about workout room flooring, but since I rent, I'm limited to what I can do with my space. I eventually came across the Big Floors website and have had it in my favorites for a while until I could make a purchase. Last month, I noticed their dance flooring was on sale, so I purchased 49 square feet of the Basic Black Marble flooring and it just arrived today. I love it !!

It is very good quality, very easy to snap the pieces together (they arrive in assembled 2x2 squares but you can disassemble them if needed) and I was easily able to configure the squares I ordered into my non-square shaped space. The pricing is great right now. I was able to get the whole thing for under $200 (they have free shipping on all orders as well).

I have attached a link to a picture of part of my workout area with the flooring (it isn't the entire space, just about 16 square feet of it). https://photos.app.goo.gl/WFfonryxriw5d0cm1 I tried attaching the image itself, but it kept failing, so let me know if you can't see the pic with that link!

Anyway, I thought I would post this in case anyone else in search of a similar flooring solution. They also have basement and garage flooring as well. Here is their website: https://www.bigfloors.com/product-ca...vent-flooring/

ETA: Here's a link to another pic that shows a larger area of the flooring: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cEEzQ6yJ7agTPmbF2
Old 11-07-17, 08:34 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I really like the marble look!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 08:49 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Yeah, they have several different looks (other marble ones, different wood looks, also solid colors as well). I had also ordered a small sample (12 sq. ft.) of the Bright Blue Base Floor since it was on clearance. I like the color, and it's a little slicker I think (the customer service rep said that's the type they recommend for tap dancing). But I really wanted the marble one

They also sell edging to go around the floor so it doesn't have that unfinished look like in my first pic, but I'm going to have to do that in a separate purchase.
Old 11-07-17, 10:45 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

That looks very nice! I know that having the right flooring can make workouts safer, more effective and enjoyable. I love my Dollamur mats.

I am sure others here will appreciate you sharing this.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 11:36 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I love the way they look!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 03:10 AM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

Wow, it looks so good. Have to admit it would solve a lot of problems if I could get that, too. The 8' by 8' would be nice. Thank you so much for this!
Old 11-08-17, 07:06 AM  
T2B

They look great! Does the flooring have padding under them? Can you do weight workouts on those as well? Thanks!

And, what kind of dance workouts do you like?

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 08:40 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2B View Post
They look great! Does the flooring have padding under them? Can you do weight workouts on those as well? Thanks!

And, what kind of dance workouts do you like?
Sorry I didn't reply to this, I just saw your post!

There is no padding under the flooring, mine is right on top of the carpet. It doesn't move around at all, though, and is very comfortable to work out on. I love that I can do (attempt) pirouettes on it without worrying about catching on the carpet and hurting my knees!

I do all my workouts on it since getting the flooring. It's great for weight workouts, but if it's one where I have to get down on the floor for certain exercises, I put my yoga mat down on top of the flooring (I have the 6' round Mandala Yoga Mat).

I'm really happy with this purchase! I wish I had found this product years ago. The great thing is, since I tend to move every few years or so, that the squares are only 1'x 1', so taking them apart and packing them up for the next time I move shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the type of dance workouts that I like, well, how much time do you have I really like most all types, including zumba, belly dance, bollywood, line dance, hula, dancehall, and hip hop. I've been on a huge hip-hop choreography kick lately and have been trying to do more choreographed workouts versus zumba types for the brain boost! I love the feeling of picking up steps, but I am not anywhere close to being good at it anymore. I used to be really good at it but I've been out of practice for so long that it's really challenging right now. I've been working on the Cize workouts, and I actually have the old MTV The Grind Hip Hop workouts that I've gotten back into (anything with Eric Nies is motivation enough for me ).

I also have been completely obsessed with this series of YouTube choreography videos that are put up by some studios and choreographers in L.A. The choreographers will come up with a routine, put it to a current song, and then there are these super talented dancers that will perform the choreo in groups for the video. A couple examples here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRnDw3clOS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72o9y6Utf6o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TsvrWluthw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW2yUrXXRTI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7FgZcvx1XI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC0JGK18Ii8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTdjNbiNVmc

I've definitely come to follow certain choreographers and dancers from watching these videos.

Anyway, that's how I'm using my dance floor
Old 11-16-17, 08:21 AM  
T2B

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for responding. I’ve bookmarked the site and will look at it more closely this weekend. I would love an area that I could pivot easily for dance and kickbox workouts. I have light oak laminate flooring in my basement, and I can definitely slide over that, but the flooring is over concrete (not good for workouts). i think a 6x6 area would be perfect for the few dance workouts that I have and Tae Bo.

I only had time to look at one of those links just yet, so picked the 2nd link and the kid at the end is just awesome. Made me smile!

One last question, are the flooring noisy? Can you hear tapping sounds when you’re moving? Thanks again!

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 10:10 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I don't hear any noises at all when I use the floor. It stays pretty much solidly in place, no flexing at the joints. I think if they were flimsy, they would probably flex there and that could possibly cause clicking if the joints separated, but that doesn't happen for me. They're pretty sturdy. The only clicking I hear is when my mom's dog trots across the floor

I'm definitely going to order another set for my living room. I have a larger TV in there so I might move some of my workouts to that area.

ETA: My favorite clip from those videos I linked is in the second from the bottom link. The two girls starting around the 1:00 mark are amazing talents! They were about 11 in that clip, but now they are 14/15. The one in the blue shirt is now a backup dancer on Janet Jackson's tour, and you'll see the other one in a ton of those videos. I am amazed at the talent of all the dancers, and the kids are great! I also love that one that you mentioned...so much attitude and grown-upedness, lol, and then you see that break at the end and he's a kid again. So many of the young ones have their "dance face", and then you see them in interviews or talking and they are completely cute and sweet kids. And the older dancers give me hope that I can at least pretend to dance (although even the oldest "older" ones are still probably a good 10-15 years younger than me )

Tags
floor mats, flooring