Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-16, 05:03 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
I also found the puzzles do get worn out. One of my weights put a hole in it. It was too much futzing to put it together. Carpet wasn't that expensive either, compared to workout flooring. That's really expensive. But I think I would go that route, instead of puzzle mats.
I've had my puzzle mats down for over 15 years and have not had a single problem. They haven't worn out, nor have there been any holes put in them, and they've been used for lots of high impact and had weights tossed on them repeatedly. This makes me wonder if there are different brands of puzzle mats out there? Just speculating....
Old 05-22-16, 08:20 PM  
marki64

I think there are some better quality puzzle mats. I probably had crappy ones. I swore a lot putting them together.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 08:34 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I have had the same puzzle mats for twenty three years with no sign of them breaking down. They are quite thick and heavy so only one layer is needed and they don't come apart at the joins. I do many types of cardio and use barbells, dumbells, kettlebells and steps. Over the years the mats have been placed on carpeted and slate floors.

Previously to owning puzzle mats I worked out on carpet with underlay on a concrete floor. My feet and knees started to become very sore so for me I am staying with puzzle mats.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 02:50 PM  
kirstyscooby
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuckles View Post
I workout in an unfinished basement. Over my concrete flooring I have a double layer of puzzle mats that work just fine. I don't think I'd feel comfortable with one layer of puzzle mats over concrete.
Hi Snuckles, apologies for bumping an old post but I’m wondering if you can give me some advice (or someone else who’s posted in this thread!)

For the past 4 years I’ve been training in my concrete garage with a single layer of puzzle mats. I do Cathe workouts predominantly on a 10inch step, so lots of jumping.

I’ve noticed that the cushioning isn’t as good anymore and am looking at buying another set of puzzle mats and then somehow attaching them to the existing mats to create a double thickness layer.

My concern is that I’m not a DIY expert so am unsure what would be strong enough to do this job/if there is a glue/adhesive that will hold them together safely .

Are yours stuck together and if so, what did you use?

Thanks heaps,
Kirsty
Old 12-27-17, 02:56 PM  
sherry7899

Kirsty, I am glad to see your lovely avatar photo here again. Welcome back!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 02:59 PM  
Jewels5

Hi Kirsty, I posted upthread so you may have already read, but I love my puzzle mats from greatmats.com. I have been working out on them for almost 10 years now and they are one of the best workout investments I've made. I have weights sitting on the four corners just to be safe and this has worked out really well for me. Good Luck!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 02:59 PM  
kirstyscooby
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Kirsty, I am glad to see your lovely avatar photo here again. Welcome back!

Sherry
Thanks Sherry, yes I have been more of a “lurker” these past few years! I hope you’re having a lovely festive season. It’s very hot here in NZ and I’m enjoying being on school holidays. 😃
Old 12-27-17, 03:12 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have a finished walk out lower level with concrete floors. We installed wood laminate over the concrete. I love it, use a 6' round yoga mat on it as most of my workouts are barefoot. When I do a workout with shoes I roll up the round mat. When I do step, I have an old yoga mat I cut just slightly larger than my step bench to put under it & prevent it from moving.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 04:20 PM  
Tanja

I bought stall mats from a local co-op. They are thick and provide excellent cushion.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 08:42 PM  
Snuckles

Hi Kirsty, I haven't done anything to "stick" my mats together. My top mats are in a 4 X 4 setting while the bottom layer is in a strange 6 x 4 configuration (think my kids come down and pull up the mats at times to build a house or fort and don't put them back correctly). My bottom layer butts up against the basement wall. I've never really had a problem with them sliding since my workouts are primarily done on the top layer.

I'm somewhat concerned about the wear and tear of the mats staying connected during burpees and the like.

Tags
flooring, puzzle mats