Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-16, 02:05 PM  
Jewels5

I should have mentioned...I have the thicker martial arts mats from greatmats.com if that helps.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 05:02 PM  
Snuckles

I workout in an unfinished basement. Over my concrete flooring I have a double layer of puzzle mats that work just fine. I don't think I'd feel comfortable with one layer of puzzle mats over concrete.
Old 05-21-16, 08:48 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

our house is built on a slab. when we put in new carpet, i asked for extra fluffy cushion from the installer. we have plush, regular low-pile carpet (not berber, though). i also use puzzle mats as often as i can.

i used to live in a townhome built on "stilts". it was good, but my current situation with all of the padding is sufficient.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 10:47 AM  
horsemom2

I workout on two different bungee rebounders which are lower in height than my 2 Jumpsport bungees (48 inch PROBounce and a larger hexagon ibounce). The basement has a carpet we tossed down there and I use a yoga pad when sitting on a large stability ball to prevent slipping.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 11:21 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I work out in a finished basement room that has a ceramic tile floor. I put two layers of the puzzle mats wall to wall. This has worked well for me for many years!

Everyone is different in their preferences though. For me, any carpet would just get ruined. I sweat too much. Back in the day, before my workout room, I worked out on the living room carpet in front of the TV. I literally ruined the carpet in that area from sweat and just beating it down with all the jumping and lunging. Puzzle mats (or any kind of mat) can be washed.
Old 05-22-16, 11:50 AM  
red1013

I work out in an unfinished basement. I have a concrete floor with three layers of puzzle mats over it. It's fine on my knees, but I avoid high impact.

When we built this house 11 years ago, we debated about finishing the basement and decided against it. After having water in the basement a few times, we're glad we didn't. What a mess!
Old 05-22-16, 11:50 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

I have a few of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Cal-R...MAAOSwgApW-r0F as a base on my basement floor. Im not sure if I have exactly these, but similar. I wanted large pieces as opposed to the puzzle mat.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 12:21 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

In my former house I worked on in the basement. I bought carpet padding that I put down then added puzzle mats on top. Worked well.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 03:57 PM  
wendy2

I have puzzle mats that are directly on my concrete floor in my unfinished basement. I use only one layer, and I have weights on two of the corners to keep them from slipping. I don't do much high impact, but some Cathe drills here and there. I do step, kickbox, weight lifting, stretching, etc. and they work well for me. If I did a lot of high impact I'd probably want another layer.
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 04:30 PM  
dnna

thanks for the suggestions! and ps I would not wish moving on anyone, I have been cleaning stuff out for a couple months now and am going to put my house on the market in a couple weeks. and I am really worn out,physically and emotionally too. 'donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, puzzle mats