Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-16, 07:12 PM  
gjv

Depressed over turning 50

Does anyone have any suggestions of books that I could/should read?

Thank you.
Old 01-21-16, 07:34 PM  
Cybersparkle

I feel you!
I turned 48 in this past Dec. Can no longer say, "I'm in my mid-40's"!

Dr Christiane Northrup has been lifting my spirits. I've read her stuff since the 90's & she is always a pioneer in her field. Now that she is 60, she is tackling ageism & choosing to live vibrantly on every level of life.

Here is an uplifting short talk on ageing vs growing older

I had to sign up free to watch, but I totally look forward to getting her emails.

Her book Goddesses Never Age is out now. I dont have the book yet, but when I can afford it, def gonna get it.

It is so refreshing for me to hear something, anything positive about women getting older, I eagerly devour her philosophy.

I look forward to more responses too, need more reading material.

HTH!

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-16, 07:46 PM  
gjv

I just went to amazon and I bought the kindle version of that book. Thank you very much, she sounds wonderful.
Old 01-21-16, 07:56 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Sorry, but the title made me guffaw. I'm not sure I can remember being 50. I'm 69.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-16, 08:02 PM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
Sorry, but the title made me guffaw. I'm not sure I can remember being 50. I'm 69.
And it sure beats NOT turning 50, if you know what I mean.

I don't mean to make light of what you are feeling, truly I don't. But as I've gotten older (I'm turning 50 soon, too!) and seen people die way too young, I'm grateful for growing older. It's something they didn't get to do.

Plus, I find myself saying "I'm 50 years old, and I've earned xyz." The last time was just today, when my teenager wondered why I got the fancy car key fob and she had to make do with an old-fashioned key she actually had to put in the car door to unlock it.
Old 01-21-16, 08:10 PM  
lrb04

Hi Gayle No books to offer you! I turned 50 last & will be 51 this year! My suggestion is to embrace your age! Really it is a number & it is our mindset which makes us who we are more than age does! Also let this be a time to evaluate your life & make changes you thought you would never make. I have done this & want to approach my coming years as healthy as I can be in all aspects of my life. It is normal to be depressed at times but if you feel especially so, talk to a good friend!!! Hugs, I been there and so have many, many others!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-16, 08:14 PM  
gjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
Hi Gayle No books to offer you! I turned 50 last & will be 51 this year! My suggestion is to embrace your age! Really it is a number & it is our mindset which makes us who we are more than age does! Also let this be a time to evaluate your life & make changes you thought you would never make. I have done this & want to approach my coming years as healthy as I can be in all aspects of my life. It is normal to be depressed at times but if you feel especially so, talk to a good friend!!! Hugs, I been there and so have many, many others!
I love your upbeat ways! It shows in all your posts. Thank you.
Old 01-21-16, 08:27 PM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
Fran, you are awesome. I love how positive & warm you always are. I'm so glad you're here with your cheerful attitude.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-16, 08:31 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
And it sure beats NOT turning 50, if you know what I mean.

I don't mean to make light of what you are feeling, truly I don't. But as I've gotten older (I'm turning 50 soon, too!) and seen people die way too young, I'm grateful for growing older. It's something they didn't get to do.
I'll be 50 later this year and I completely agree with what you say here. I have so many friends, co-workers and former classmates who didn't make it to 30 or 40, much less 50. I just feel fortunate for each day. It has never occurred to me to find it depressing. To the OP: What is it specifically that depresses you?
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-16, 08:50 PM  
gjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
To the OP: What is it specifically that depresses you?
Just totally superficial, silly things. Like I just don't *look* the same as I used to.

I am happily married to a wonderful man who is very supportive. We've been married 32 years so he's been there with me thru a lot of things. I've got so many things to be thankful for.

I just am mourning the younger me if that makes sense.

Tags
aging, death &, dying, mortality, turning 50, turning fifty