Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-08-14, 08:50 AM  
ncl

Revisiting The Firm

I have been enjoying some of my old Firms these days after running across all my old Firm materials, like the original 90 day rotation. This is how I got into fitness and what turned me on to being a vidiot, actually and exercising regularly. I mainly do the older Firms as I began liking the Firm less after BSS1 and that era...also didn't think the workouts were as challenging.

But looking at back at the Benson's recommendations for this rotation, she was just so ahead of her time. First, she was on the weights before others were and the combination of weights/cardio.

Also, this was the original 90 day rotation before all the other ones came along which I'd never thought about until now.

Even back in the 80s and 90s she was advocating (this is in the Firm 90d rotation) for eating healthy fats like nuts/seeds/avocado, etc etc. And she was already adding the recommendation for flax seed back then. And she was talking about getting vegetables and fruits with bright, rich, deep colors and she specifically mentions kale. This was in the 90s...I think that was still during the time the trend was all low fat this and that. I don't even think I knew what kale was back then!

I am enjoying the workouts, too. The music is good but not too raucous (I work out in the morning mainly, so I will say some workouts that I like don't get chosen because the music is just too much first thing in the morning (Cathe's original bootcamp comes to mind). The pace isn't too fast (like Dreambody, though I like those, too). I'm definitely enjoying my blast from the past and all the Firm ladies are so gorgeous.

Also, BTW, I went to check out what I might get at Fitness Favorites that I didn't have, and I got seriously good deals on some videos/CDs. I got the Fitprime Kickbutt workouts for 1.99 apiece. I got the live workouts and the Fitprime Kickbutt compilations and a couple of the walking CDs. All told I got 9 videos and 2 CDs for 60 bucks. I wondered if there was a mistake as the prices in the store were more than the price in my cart for things, but I'm not gonna argue! I am excited to get some new/old videos and things and enjoying my walk down memory lane.

Anyone still using these or revisiting them from time to time? Anyone here ever finished the 90 day rotation. I have workout ADD, so i don't think I've ever finished a rotation. Ha ha.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 09:00 AM  
PhyllisG

I was a Firm fan and had all of them and used them exclusively for years. I did the 90 day rotation many times and always got great results. I have not been able to motivate myself to do them again. I visited the Fitness Favorites website but got so confused by the pricing that I gave up.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 09:16 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'm a Firm fan from way back. My first workout was Volume I in Beta format, before VHS. Yes, Anna was way ahead of her time with AWT. Of course, she was also a prim and proper Southern gal as evidenced by some of the advice in the Firm Book. I also still have the Firm Journal. I have sold and re-acquired ALL the Firms a couple of times now.

I'm privileged to have visited The Firm several times, worked out with and had dinner/lunch with many of the instructors. I've also visited Tracy Long's studio in Charleston.

Like Phyllis, I haven't been motivated to do them again - although now that you brought them up .......
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 09:31 AM  
Breezy Trousers

NCL, you're my Firm twin. So much of what you wrote matches my own experience, right down to preferences. I began my relationship with The Firm in 1998, which led to my relationship with VF that same year. (We're approaching our 17th anniversary. ) ... I agree wholeheartedly that Anna was ahead of her time. .. The BBH Firms are still a part of my fitness life. Like you, I have exercise ADD (which is why I work out at home - the wide variety with top instructors). I start getting antsy after 3 or 4 weeks of the same workout genre. Still, I recently spent a month revisiting the Firms with other VF Firmies and thoroughly enjoyed it. The workouts are fun, effective and will always remain in my collection.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 12:10 PM  
Carol K

I started with Volume 1 too and I still do the older Firms, although not as much as the newer ones. I've never done any version of the 90 day rotation. I do the monthly rotation on the Firm club site and this month's rotation includes Volume 2, Fat Blaster, Super Cardio and Firm Cardio (StrongHeart).
Old 11-08-14, 12:17 PM  
cdayley

I did Jane Fonda and Joanie Greggains before I found the Firm, but once I got Vol 1, I was hooked. I like both the newer and older Firms. I try to do one of the Classics each week.
Does anyone who lives close to the Firm know what is happening now that Gaiam sold the division that produces the Firm workouts?

Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 12:23 PM  
Carol K

We in the Firm club haven't even been told that Gaiam sold the division that produces the Firm workouts. There were two divisions that sold Firm workouts, the infomercial division and the retail division. Were both divisions sold? And who was the buyer?
Old 11-08-14, 01:28 PM  
cdayley

Carol, some ladies were talking about it at another forum. This is what I found:

http://investor.cinedigm.com/release...leaseID=798291

It doesn't specifically say the Firm, but gaiam doesn't have any Firm workouts on their site anymore. And this is on the Firm facebook page:

The FIRM has been making a difference in people’s lives since 1979. We've gone through rocky times in the past but with the support and loyalty of The FIRM Believers we've always come out better than ever. The support and love we feel from The FIRM Believers is what will get us through this time as well. Please stick with us! The FIRM Studio, Lexington, SC continues to offer the absolute best fitness classes led by the most amazing Master Instructors anywhere. If you are in the area please stop in, take a class and get your FIRM fix!

Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 01:34 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

The Firm posted that on Facebook. I was wondering what the tough times were that they're going through now.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 01:37 PM  
bubbles76

I am just discovering the Firm classics, and I am really liking them! I am hoping to acquire a few Firm classics next year, when my finances get better. I have a few pink Firms, and have started the Firm Express Intermediate rotation, but the classics are just so...classy! With some tough girl thrown in
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm classics, firm for life, revisiting the firm