Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-14, 10:41 AM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Unfriend her. I think what she's saying is grossly irresponsible, and I am very much in favor of holistic and non-invasive procedures myself. She's an exercise teacher, and should stick to that. I am heartily tired of fitness instructors and yoga instructors (and there are MANY), who seem to want to control many aspects of their students' lives--what they eat and drink, what they wear, what sort of medical treatments to use, and so on. That is one of the reasons I got so turned off from kundalini yoga, for example.

This is why I do not "friend" instructors on Facebook. They aren't my friends, and that way I can enjoy their workouts without knowing about some of the off-putting things they post on Facebook. Because when I do hear about some of these off-putting things, I don't buy their workouts and get rid of any workouts of theirs I may have already bought. I will not subsidize people who have strong views that make me viscerally recoil.
I have to (retrospectively) agree with everything you say. Unfortunately I have friended her personally. I love her workouts very much but don't have time lately for any workout except running after my toddler and keeping house.

By the way, your comment about kundalini yoga reminded me of Ana Brett and Ravi Singh, who were stating in their raviana page A-Z that abortion is ok before X number of weeks because the soul of the fetus is still unformed (it's down now of course) , as well as how abstinence makes for a more spiritual experience when you do make love twice a month. Regardless of your personal opinion regarding these controversial topics, you might agree that their approach is confusing and out of fitness boundaries, right?

Thanks everyone for your contributions, very interesting and much appreciated!
Old 09-01-14, 10:53 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Honestly, I think FB has become a place on the internet to spout of whatever you want about whatever topic. It is driving me crazy. All I get is advertisements, political opinions, medical advice and rants. I thought it was a social network and I hardly see anything from my friends...IRL or VF.

I'd pull my account if it wasn't for the fact that my kids are on and I need to keep an eye on them.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 09-01-14, 11:19 AM  
amoodygirl

I just tend to follow animal welfare-type pages and rescue organizations to see where I can help out. Otherwise, I stopped following any fitness sites and just have a few close friends that are friended. I don't want any health advice on FB!

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
Old 09-01-14, 12:04 PM  
topfitmama

If you don't want to unfriend, you can mark a friend as an "acquaintance". Their posts won't show up on your news feed and you can still visit their wall or click on "acquaintances" to see a secondary news feed. I did that with several people who post too much stuff that I'm not interested in.

Jackie, I agree.
Old 09-01-14, 12:23 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieb View Post
honestly, i think fb has become a place on the internet to spout of whatever you want about whatever topic. It is driving me crazy. All i get is advertisements, political opinions, medical advice and rants. I thought it was a social network and i hardly see anything from my friends...irl or vf.

I'd pull my account if it wasn't for the fact that my kids are on and i need to keep an eye on them.
x2.
Old 09-01-14, 12:33 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Yeah, just unfriend her or use the dropdown in your newsfeed to "unfollow." (I think you can also unfollow from their wall.)

I have a couple of good friends who posts all kinds of craziness. . . Mercola is the sanest thing they post!

I don't mind religion and politics; I have friends from all over the spectrum on both those issues and we generally have pretty respectful discussions when discussions are had. But bogus health info/conspiracy theories really make me frustrated. And frankly, people who post it are far more obnoxiously zealous than people who post about politics or religion! Craziness.

Heck, I should have breast cancer, brain cancer, multiple sclerosis, and be dead ten times over based on some of what I read on FB. So far I am managing to struggle valiantly along.
Old 09-01-14, 01:00 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

In her defense I have to say that she usually marks controversial articles as "interesting read" and not advocating them.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
Old 09-01-14, 01:03 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
Heck, I should have breast cancer, brain cancer, multiple sclerosis, and be dead ten times over based on some of what I read on FB. So far I am managing to struggle valiantly along.
This made me laugh!!!!
Old 09-01-14, 03:15 PM  
mamaste

If it's a deal breaker, unfollow or unfriendly her. You can't stop her from posting nonsense, but you can absolutely remove yourself from that environment.

I unfollowed and blocked an instructor on twitter because she posted a link to an article I found to be racist. I don't feel bad about it because I don't have time for bigots.

Another instructor whose shares the initials of Cathe's favorite eggs is about to be unfollowed and unfriended for posting quackery. She is otherwise knowledgeable and great, but some of the stuff she says or shares is ridiculous.
Old 09-01-14, 03:26 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
But bogus health info/conspiracy theories really make me frustrated. And frankly, people who post it are far more obnoxiously zealous than people who post about politics or religion!
I had to LOL at this! My sister constantly posts conspiracy topics, how weed is the new miracle drug and the cure for everything, how the Government is out to kill you, one minute bashing all Democrats, the next all Republicans, etc. etc. Never really consistent. Sweetie, I work for the Government and so do most of my friends. She became somewhat of a liability, and had to be blocked. Her boyfriend is constantly trying to friend me. I don't need that on my FB page. It would be one thing if it was an occasional subject, as we can all agree to disagree. But she rarely has an original thought on FB, just reposts of the above all the time.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Closed Thread

Tags
alternative medicine, facebook, t-tapp, teresa tapp