Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-02, 12:59 PM  
glenda

Thumbs up HELP ME GET MOTIVATED PLEASE

I was getting up at 5 am and working out for about 6 wks and now can't get up.

I just want to say thanks to everyone for your support and those other threads on ideas to get up and get moving will be very helpful. appreciate it and will be thinking about all of you at 5 in the morning Yea
Old 12-03-02, 01:18 PM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

I'm not sure everyone is cut out for those super early morning workouts (I know I'm not one of them!). Would it be possible to fit something in at the end of the day? Sleep is very important and it sounds like your body needs more of it.

As far as getting yourself going again, I'd go for something non-intimidating. Maybe shortish workouts--maybe just 20-30 minute workouts at a time (the new Firms would be great!).
Another thing that might help is to tell yourself you're going to just do the first 10 minutes and stop if you want to. It seems like most of us are ready to continue if we can just get ourselves past those first few minutes.
Sometimes picking an old (fun) favorite can help me a lot too.

Good luck!!
Old 12-03-02, 01:32 PM  
rosemary

Glenda,
I go through those slumps too when I just can't get up. I didn't notice where you live, but perhaps it's the change of seasons and darker days and colder mornings! If you've been doing this for 6 weeks, chances are a.m. exercise does work for you. You just perhaps need to get out of the slump. I play stupid tricks on myself and say...ok if I'm not back to sleep in 5 minutes I'll get up -most times I'm not. If I am, it means I just need the rest that morning. Try to go to bed a little earlier...maybe you just need 15-20 minutes more sleep. Tell yourself that if you get up, you'll do your most favorite video. On a day when you feel like that, do a really short workout (even 20 minutes is ok) and then when finished, take a little nap...just slip out of your workout clothes and into a robe and wrap yourself in a blanket and just close your eyes and relax as a reward for getting up and working out. (Don't forget to reset a clock if you need to be at work!) Promise yourself that you'll leave work a little early that day and come home and take a nap since you got up early and worked out. Take a bath instead of a shower after your workout...relax and enjoy it (again, this works when you have the time, so maybe you'll want to do a shorter workout.) If you need to, go through a week of shorter workouts to either let yourself sleep a little longer or reward yourself after your workouts. Get up and splash water on your face. Vary your routine. Buy a new video to try. Slumps are common and it is not easy getting up, but there is so much satisfaction in getting your workout in before you've hit the road that day! Good luck and don't get down....remember that you can turn this around.
Rosemary
rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-02, 03:03 PM  
Caroline Kim
VF Supporter

how about a check-in?

There is a daily check-in for early morning exercisers...I'm not a regular member of that check-in, but I am in another one and I know the accountability really helps me drag myself out of bed in the morning when it's still dark outside!

Also, here are some links to previous threads about this topic, with lots of good tips!

http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showt...threadid=18537

http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showt...1&display=show

http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showt...threadid=12052

Hope this helps!
Old 12-03-02, 03:08 PM  
Elisabeth
VF Supporter

I don't love the morning workouts either, but some days I have no choice if I'm going to get a workout in. I do different tapes for morning workouts--easy choreography, not too terribly intense, under 45 minutes. Sometimes I also just find it a lot easier to go for a walk instead of doing a tape, so I give myself permission to only do that once in awhile. Another thing that's worked for me is doing yoga or pilates in the morning. When I can't get myself motivated to get up and bounce around or lift weights, I can usually talk myself into yoga or pilates.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-02, 08:46 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

One thing that helps me is to get ready for it the day/night before. I put out my clothes the night before so that I'm ready to go when I roll out of bed. jSeeing those clothes where I almost trip over them sometimes motivates (or guilts) me into going ahead with The Plan.

Also, I will sometimes look at my tapes after I finish one day and decide what I will do the next day based on what sounds fun. With that decision made, I don't have to make a decision.

And the check-ins really help. I hate to not put something down since I'm going to be reporting at the end of the week!

Good luck!
Laura
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 01:12 AM  
BeckyG
VF Supporter

Unhappy Me too....

How funny -- is it the time of year or something? I just logged on specifically thinking of posting a "please help me find some motivation" topic, and here your's was.

Sorry I can't give you any motivational encouragement right now, but just wanted to let you know that you're not alone! (The only thing that has consistently helped me is to listen to Tony Robbins Powertalk -- I don't know if I believe in it, but every time I've listened to the any of his CDs, somehow, I get back in gear.... however, right now, I don't feel motivated to listen to him :rolleyes: )
BeckyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 08:11 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Wish I had words of Wisdom for you

Glenda!

But the bottom line is: I struggle with cold, winter, darkness.... from now until about May or June. I absolutely ABHORE this time of year and it's all I can do to drag myself out of bed to workout and carry on......

My guess also is, if you've been doing the 5 a.m. workouts for 6 weeks, that you CAN adjust to the morning workouts. It's something like 3 weeks a habit does make! Maybe you can compromise with yourself and only make yourself get up early 3 out of the 5 weekdays and then workout on the weekends, if your time is more flexible???? Just a thought.

I agree with the having your clothes laid out the night before. I also lie in bed and try to decide the night before, WHAT workout I want to do. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Don't know if you have the ability to put your furnace on a timer, but I set mine to come on about 15 minutes before I get out of bed to take the chill out of the air and have the hot air blowing when I stagger downstairs to my coffee pot (also on a timer, so it's all ready to drink when I get down here..... NEED that coffee....)

I also know how much better I feel AFTER I work out. I did discover this week though, that I need the warmth of AEROBICS and a good sweaty, heart-pumping session to wake up. I did a Pilates and STrength Video on Monday and my endorphins were NOT raised .... It took me till almost 1 p.m. to wake up and be ready to face the world. So, yesterday, I began with some BOSU step workouts (using some older tapes -- with basic choreography) in addition to Armed and Dangerous and the endorphins kicked in.....

But, then we have the time problem..... how to have time for all of it??? I need the cardio, need the weight training, need the sleep. With the holidays and visiting and partying, I am not getting to bed as early as I would like. Sleep is the key for me. For both attitude and getting through the winter.

Sooooo I know I haven't been of any help. Just wanted to let you know, you're not alone.... and this too shall pass...

Come on Spring & Summer.......
Bring me SUNSHINE!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 08:48 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

if you're willing to skip a few workouts

I'd suggest just getting used to getting up and out of bed at that time. Putter around, do a few chores, watch tv, but get back into getting used to getting up earlier. This same thing happened to me. If I didnt work out, I'd ride my stationary bike while I watched Wheel of Fortune after work. No great shakes, but better than nothing. I'm now back to doing a half hour of cardio in the morning, and will work back up to an hour. I think its the time change. I HATE getting up and exercising when its still dark out! But getting back to getting up early is what worked for me. Just my 2 cents.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote