Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-07, 08:20 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

One of the reasons they made such a SPLASH back in the 80's is because I think women doing weights at all was still a novel idea. Doing them with cardio was downright...well it had never been heard of or done...at least not like that

It was all so different and original. Anna would be and is now hard pressed to come up with anything to rival those first Classic Firms. Everyone is I think. The ones who seem to succeed really are just taking the time to put out good solid, quality workouts with their own style and personality and translation of the science of fitness.

For example, Tracie Long has put together some interesting workouts based on her take on functional fitness, taken the time to add in good music, good production values, an interesting setting (a studio overlooking the Charleston waterfront in the case of the TLT's), organizing the exercises so the workouts have good flow, instructors we know, like and respect, etc.

Debbie Siebers has Sin6, Slim Series and now, the new Slim Series Express...very different from Tracie's workouts, but with good production values, proven exercises, her own style and personality...some do not like her music, but she's still pretty popular (and effective).

But I digress...it's still sad to see what the Firm has become though...
Old 03-29-07, 08:46 PM  
Cowgirl32

I agree the firm is NOT the same....I want my classic workout format back :-(
Cowgirl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 09:45 PM  
HelloKitty88

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41
Whoa!!!! Holy cow! You have an amazing lot of vintage Firm stuff!!!!! I just recentlly purchased Firm Core Cardio 1 & 2 in clamshell's off of Amazon, and I was quite excited about this purchase! I have been looking for these forever and a day!!! I think the only Firms I dont have is Ballroom Aerobics. Well, I dont have either of the newer Firm yogas either. I will have to get those whether I do them or not. The Firms are my all time favorite workouts, and I have enjoyed collecting them. I would love to have some of that other cool stuff however!

Sherry
Thanks! It was fun to collect all that stuff! I miss ordering stuff from the FIRM. It was so much fun to get the catalogs in the mail and order something from them. I never use the tote bag b/c I don't want to get it dirty or wear it out. The cassette tapes I want to get converted to cd, but I've never been able to figure out how to convert cassette tapes to cd's yet. Found a place on the net that does it but, I don't want to send the tapes away...guess I could make copies of them. I remember when we had all those hurricanes coming thru here about 4 years ago...my FIRM's were some of the first things I was slamming into boxes to take with me. I know that's terrible, but I love my old FIRM's. LOL!

BA is a hard one to find, isn't it? I look on ebay every now and again just to see if one is up for bid and how much it's selling for. CSM is another one that is hard to find.

I don't have some of the newer FIRM's....mainly BSS4 and beyond. I'm doing catch up these days with dvd's.
HelloKitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 09:49 PM  
HelloKitty88

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S
Firstwavefirmie,

Wow!!! You have a nice collection. I wish I didn't throw away the old Firm catalogs. I really liked looking at them. I should have saved at least one of them.

Helen
Thanks! I'll have to dig them out and see what exactly I have. I know I have one of the first ones that was out...it has a gray marble like looking cover with The FIRM on it. I used to cut a lot of them up b/c I was always making cheap scrapbooks when I first got out of high school. LOL! I think I have 3 or 4 of the old cataolges. Wish I would have kept them all along with the mailers.
Old 03-30-07, 04:29 AM  
Carol_is_fit

I haven't read every post on here but it's fun to take that trip down memory lane and remember the original (and BEST! IMHO!!) Firms. I found Volume 1 in a video store right before Volume 2 came out, and I was hooked. The classic Firms are still among the most challenging workouts I own.

I still have my Firm workouts towels! LOL! With the logo and everything! I can't believe they've held up this long. I have my Firm barbell, and the adjustable ankle weights. Both my dowels were bought from their catalogs too. I miss all that merchandise ...

Carol
Carol_is_fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 08:41 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol_is_fit
I still have my Firm workouts towels! LOL! With the logo and everything! I can't believe they've held up this long. I have my Firm barbell, and the adjustable ankle weights. Both my dowels were bought from their catalogs too. I miss all that merchandise ...

Carol
I wipe my sweat every day with my Firm Towel! LOL. I have quite a lot of the old pamphlets and such, Firm Rotations. I will NEVER part with my clamshell original Classics!!

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 08:51 AM  
annetteb

I don't know if you remember the phone card from Blockbuster with Susan Harris on it. I am sorry I didn't purchase it....in my will, and I want all my Firm items be set up in the muesum in Columbia, South Carolina. Thus my collection. I do have some items, and yes I could have kicked myself in the rear end for not purchasing some of them. But I did luck up at a neighborhood garage sale and got 12 inch step and got a new still in the wrapper Firm Classic with Sandahl. I also have a Firm Parts still new Upper Body taken from the Firm Classics.....
Annette
annetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 09:08 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annetteb
I don't know if you remember the phone card from Blockbuster with Susan Harris on it. I am sorry I didn't purchase it....in my will, and I want all my Firm items be set up in the muesum in Columbia, South Carolina. Thus my collection. I do have some items, and yes I could have kicked myself in the rear end for not purchasing some of them. But I did luck up at a neighborhood garage sale and got 12 inch step and got a new still in the wrapper Firm Classic with Sandahl. I also have a Firm Parts still new Upper Body taken from the Firm Classics.....
Annette
Oh! Classic III with Sandahl is awesome! It is the one classic that keeps my heartrate up, something like 45 minutes, I believe, is what I clocked it at on my HRM. I like interval training anyway, and this one kicks BUTT!! I can hear the background music right now! Left, right double, right left, double,

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 12:10 PM  
HelloKitty88

Wink

Never knew about the phone card, that's cool. Wonder if anybody still has it?

Love Vol.3! "Glutes like those of a race horse!" hehehehee! Love that saying! Vol.3 always kicks my butt too. I've not done it in a long time b/c of other workouts and teaching, but that's the one that always kicked my HR up a great deal. I used to sweat so bad when I'd do Vol.3. LOL! I can remember standing in front of the AC all the time during the summer during the last 2 weight tracks b4 going to the floor for the cooldown. Love the soundtrack to Vol.3.
Old 03-30-07, 04:42 PM  
stereopsis78

What to get now?

Boy, a lot has happened since I started in the 80's!

I'd like to get some new DVDs, but can't figure out what is what...even with the excellent Video Review section.

Can you tell me which ones are most like the classic Firms? WHFN? FitPrime? KickButt? All I know is that I don't care for the current Firms.

Thanks!
stereopsis78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everything the firm, firm for life, firm history, mark henriksen