Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-04, 06:20 AM  
Sunrise
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedygs

I know list my auctions as if I don't take any paypal payments which means those DARN credit cards symbols are not displayed. When the auction ends I just notify the winning bidder about what forms of payment I accept. It has made it much easier.

I did the same thing. I also listed it in my shipping/payment instructions. If you say you take PP on E-Bay it automatically sends an invoice saying that you DO take CC. Since I don't take CC it isn't worth the hassle to advertise that I take PP. Hopefully people read my shipping/payment instructions and realize that I do, in fact, take PP and actually much prefer it.
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 06:22 AM  
LCC
VF Supporter

The way I see it, as a buyer, if the listing has the Paypal logos with the credit card logos, the person should take credit cards. Do you guys leave off the logo or change it to not show the credit cards? Or do you list confusing listings that show the credit card logos and then disclaim cc payments in the body of the listing? (Let's face it...not everybody reads every word of the body of the listing.)

Really, I hardly ever bid on anything that doesn't take cards anymore because it's such a pain to go out and get a money order. So, I would suspect you're probably costing yourself more than you are saving by not taking credit card payments.

Just my 2 cents.

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 06:34 AM  
Sunrise
VF Supporter

LCC -

If you advertise on E-Bay that you take PayPal, E-Bay automatically sends an invoice stating that you accept credit card payments. There is nothing you can do about it. You can't remove the credit card logos. The only other option is to not advertise that you take PayPal which is what I do.
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 06:54 AM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

I don't have my bank account attached to my Paypal account, so I can only pay by credit card or an existing account balance. If I see an auction that won't take credit cards through Paypal, I don't bid.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 07:16 AM  
carolb8

another buyer's viewpoint...

I'm a fairly frequent ebay bidder, but it took me a while to figure out what the "I take Paypal (but not credit cards)" meant. I understand how annoying the situation is from the seller's side, because you're getting nickled and dimed from every side, but the fact is I will not bid on an auction unless the seller offers Paypal with the credit card option - otherwise it's too much of a hassle (unless I give Paypal my bank account info, which will happen over my dead body).
carolb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 08:06 AM  
jenevieve

Also guilty . . .

But I blame Paypal, not the seller. They should NOT post those damn charge card logos. This happened to me, too, once. I bought some DVD's from a guy who said he took Paypal, but no credit cards. I was a relatively new Ebayer at the time, so I thought this meant that he accepted all forms of Paypal, but no credit card payments INDEPENDENT of paypal--esp because those credit card logos were present next to the paypal option. So naturally I tried to do a cc paypal, and he returned the payment, explaining. My bank account was not set up at the time to do account transfers, but the seller very kindly waited for me to get my paypal account "verified" do to a transfer, then sent me the dvds, and we both left each other positive feedback (him for me because I was so desperately communicative, and me for him because of his saintly patience with me). It seemed like a hassle at the time, but it was worth it in the end to be forced to figure out what getting "verified" was all about.

I bought from another seller who accepts paypal account transfers(no cc's), but for the same reasons as some of you listed above, she doesn't post the Paypal link on Ebay because she got so annoyed with people trying to send her cc payments. So when i was the winning bidder, she had to email me and give me her paypal ID, explain why she doesn't post the link, etc. So she gave up some hassle for a different kind of hassle, and I imagine she has to do that with everyone she buys from her.

Live and learn, I guess.
jenevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 08:22 AM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

I would seriously consider upgrading your account. It will save you a lot of headaches and probably bring in more buyers.

I have seen several sellers put "please contact us if you would like to use PayPal" in their auctions. I'm guessing that that's how they let people know that they don't take credit cards.

I buy and sell on eBay. My personal thought is that the more payment options you accept, the better.
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 08:29 AM  
Donna Mc
VF Supporter

I'm relatively new at e-bay selling. I don't take paypal w/ cc payment either because I don't do that much selling on e-bay. If I did a lot of selling on e-bay I would probably upgrade.

So far I haven't had any trouble when I list the item saying "I take PayPal in the form of a bank account transfer or balance transfer ONLY. I DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS!"

So far this has worked for me.
Old 09-02-04, 08:34 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

I empathize Leslie, but I've joined the dark side.

I have a premier Paypal account. I compensate by adding a $1 or $2 to the S&H. Its just easier. Also, I believe more people bid. Selling on Ebay can be more of a production than I'm up for at times. With Paypal the shipping is simplified, and the accounting is handled. Chalk it up to laziness.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 08:53 AM  
Elisa B.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolb8
I'm a fairly frequent ebay bidder, but it took me a while to figure out what the "I take Paypal (but not credit cards)" meant. I understand how annoying the situation is from the seller's side, because you're getting nickled and dimed from every side, but the fact is I will not bid on an auction unless the seller offers Paypal with the credit card option - otherwise it's too much of a hassle (unless I give Paypal my bank account info, which will happen over my dead body).

I agree with everything you wrote. I didn't understand the distinction for a long time, and avoided bidding on those auctions. Now that I know what Paypal (no credit cards) means, I still won't bid on those auctions because I haven't verified my bank account info with Paypal (and don't plan to). I agree that people should read auction listings carefully, but the Paypal thing is seriously confusing.

When I sell on ebay, I find that people who pay with Paypal -- and I do have a credit card account -- tend to pay instantly, like the minute the auction ends. People who send me money orders seem to take their time about it.

Elisa
Elisa B. is offline   Reply With Quote