Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-02, 01:09 PM  
Lucy K
VF Supporter

I fall somewhere in between

I don't think it's necessary to take the first offer that comes through, as long as you're reasonable with timing. And to me, I use 24 hours as a guideline because I don't want to go more than 24 hours before responding to an offer. But usually if it takes longer than that to decide, then I probablt don't really want that trade anyway.

(I'm writing this as if I'm an exchange veteran...when really I've only become addicted in the last few weeks! )

Lucy K
Lucy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-02, 01:52 PM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

here's my take....

I always try to be specific about which tapes I will be "picky" about. I will try to give an idea of what I might accept for those tapes. So on the "picky" tapes, I will usually wait awhile to see what is offered before I answer. But never more then 24 hours. And I figure it is my right to say no if they have not offered what I indicated I wanted. It's also my right to accept if someone offers what I want, plus sweetens the deal with more tapes, and someone else only offers one tape that I wanted. So my rule is 24 hours to see what comes in.

Any other tape (non-picky), I will accept the first person who gives me anything on my wish list, or even offers something I find intriguing. That's first come, first served- even if later I am offered something I wanted more, or mulitple tapes.

Clear as mud, right??

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-02, 02:20 PM  
Celia M

Re: I agree with Renee.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenore Levine
What do you owe people? A safe tape (I would not trade an unsafe video). Honest answers, prompt replies, and kept promises.
I absolutely agree that we owe fellow traders honest answers, prompt replies, and kept promises.

However, I just don't feel qualified to judge whether a tape is safe or not for someone else. How would I know? I am not qualified to say if, for example, an instructor is using bad form. Or, if someone has bad knees, should I not trade them a high impact tape? Or what about early FIRMs whose instructors don't wear proper shoes? Is that safe?

What about other content issues, like production quality? Should we warn anyone trading for a Sara City tape that the production values are not as good as others? Or maybe FIRM Volume 2 should come with a cheesy 80's leotard alert?

Seriously, though, I guess I expect traders on this site to be familiar with what they want or don't. If offered an unfamiliar tape, it's my responsibility to ask about it, read reviews, and/or to turn it down. I don't think it's fair to hold people responsible for the tape content.
Old 08-28-02, 12:50 AM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Re: Re: I agree with Renee.

Quote:
Originally posted by Celia M

I absolutely agree that we owe fellow traders honest answers, prompt replies, and kept promises.

However, I just don't feel qualified to judge whether a tape is safe or not for someone else. How would I know?
Every tape isn't safe for someone. However, I wasn't thinking of tapes with borderline bad moves that many people use. I was thinking of a few, truly offensive tapes. Specifically, I was thinking of Women at Large: Break Out. This tape from the eighties has some outstandingly bad exercises on it, though I don't remember the details. Granted, someone could modify the thing and get some use of it; but its best home is the garbage, not another vidiot's mailbox.

Bottom line? There are some really putrid tapes out there. If it's a matter of effectiveness or esthetic appeal, let it go on the list. (Someone recently wanted a tape that I admitted provided no real workout at all.) If it's a matter of egregious safety violations, trash it.
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-04, 09:10 PM  
klwgriffin

Angry

Quote:
So what if somebody agrees to a trade, sends you an address, then backs out with no explanation. I'm wondering if she got a better offer (I declined to make somebody else an offer in the meantime, since one was on the table), or if there was something wrong with her DVD (she changed her mind shortly after I asked about the condition). And SHE is the one who approached ME! Why can't people just be honest in the first place if they have concerns? I feel like she wanted my trade as a backup while she waited to hear about a "better" one. I asked this person not to contact me for future trades. Is this unreasonable? I know it's not the crime of the century - more a matter of trade etiquette - but I don't enjoy being jerked around.

I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
klwgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-04, 07:36 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I don't do a lot of trading (I usually sell at Ya Yas or half.com), but I answer everyone within 24 hours. If I get a trade offer for something I want, but I don't want that one as much as another one, then I wait those 24 hours to see if someone offers what I really want. If so, I'm honest with the first person and thank them for the offer, but say I traded it for something else.

It is a little upsetting when someone offers you something (or offers to buy something) and then backs out, since I've often passed up other deals because of it. Okay, it's more than a little upsetting ! I do think that's because that person got a better deal somewhere else.

One thing that's really important to me -- making sure an exchange list is up to date. If you trade something, remove it from your list !
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-04, 09:57 PM  
LovetoFirm

What bothers me the very most about the whole trading situation, is when you email or pm someone about a trade, and they never respond at all, or you get a response from them 4 or 5 days later. I don't mind waiting 24 hours for a response, but even a response that the item is already traded is greatly appreciated.

This has only happened to me once or twice. I have had so many GREAT trades.
LovetoFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 05:51 AM  
Emmanuelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O
One thing that's really important to me -- making sure an exchange list is up to date. If you trade something, remove it from your list !
Oh yes ! sending pm or mails for already traded items is really disappointing, even if you don't miss a trade because you were waiting for this answer

I really appreciate the traders who respond all requests, positively or negatively. At least, you know you need to search a little more and won't miss a good trade because you don't know if your tapes are pending or not.

The trade section is a treasure, I know I wouldn't have been able to try so many instructors and workouts without this way : being overseas, I can't find good exercise videos here and ordering from US is sometimes such a hassle ( and most firms charge prohibiting shippings ).

Thanks for all the great trades and SASE and gifts I had !

Emmanuelle
Emmanuelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 11:31 AM  
Megan
VF Supporter

I don't think it's necessary to go by first-come-first serve only. IMO, that just gives an advantage to people who happen to visit the listings at the right time or who have time to check more often. I usually wait until the offers come in and pick the best trade, especially with high demand items.
Old 08-03-04, 12:24 PM  
Donna Mc
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwgriffin
So what if somebody agrees to a trade, sends you an address, then backs out with no explanation. I'm wondering if she got a better offer (I declined to make somebody else an offer in the meantime, since one was on the table), or if there was something wrong with her DVD (she changed her mind shortly after I asked about the condition). And SHE is the one who approached ME! Why can't people just be honest in the first place if they have concerns? I feel like she wanted my trade as a backup while she waited to hear about a "better" one. I asked this person not to contact me for future trades. Is this unreasonable? I know it's not the crime of the century - more a matter of trade etiquette - but I don't enjoy being jerked around.
WOW that is sooooooo rude!!!!! I have to say, I've been trading here for YEARS and I've never ever had something like that happen! I guess I've been very lucky and should go knock on some wood, LOL, but I've had nothing but the best traders for my whole trading experience at VF. Some people I trade with repeatedly! Don't let one trade gone wrong ruin it for you though, that would be a shame. The exchange is one of the greatest things!

Thanks traders! You know who you are