Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-04, 11:46 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

This is not happening to my body! (angry, frustrated rant)

Well, after nearly 7 weeks of joint swelling and soreness, the rheumatologist has all but decided I have rheumatoid arthritis. I'm only 31 years old!!!! Apparently it CAN happen this young, and CAN come on very suddenly.

She says she's still sort of waiting to see if it gets better, but it's been too long for this to be viral, and all the other tests she did were negative. Now it's mostly a matter of finding the right drugs. Once she does, I will supposedly be able to do everything I could do before. But in the meantime, I haven't done step or any intense aerobics in nearly 2 months. I haven't even spent much time on my feet (taking walks, shopping, etc.)

I'm sooo angry and frustrated. I do not want to feel like this forever! The worst part is, this is basically my body attacking itself, which really wears me out. This is not me!!!!

Thanks for letting me rant. I know there are worse things, but now I feel like I've really taken care of my body, and it's not taking care of me.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-04, 11:50 AM  
meggie
VF Supporter

Oh, Pratima, I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. The good news is that you know what's going on, and that you'll now be able to get treatment. The better news is that the course of RA is variable. The icky part, of course, is that it will not ever completely go away. Feeling betrayed by your body is miserable.

That said -- I know that there are some great exercise groups out there for RA/Juvenile RA folks -- a couple of my friends with RA have gotten great support from them...

I'll send healing thoughts to you!!

love,
Meg
Old 06-09-04, 12:00 PM  
rebeccac

I am sorry this happened to you. I know plenty about it. I was diagnosed at 25 with RA. I turn thirty in a couple weeks. I can now do almost everything I used to do. It took time. I am on Humira an injectable drug and it is great. I feel so much better. My advice is to do what you can when you can, and when you need to rest, rest. Simple advice but sometimes difficult to follow I know. I hope all works out for you!
rebeccac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-04, 12:07 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima
Thanks for letting me rant. I know there are worse things, but now I feel like I've really taken care of my body, and it's not taking care of me.
Pratima - I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. Try to believe that the good care you have taken of yourself will lessen the severity and duration of the RA.

You know you can vent your frustration here at VF anytime. We are here for you!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-04, 12:08 PM  
Donna Mc
VF Supporter

I'm sorry Pratima, you have my deepest sympathy! I don't have RA but I do have osteoarthritis in my spine, which affects my shoulders, neck, my legs (sciatica), pretty much everything. I have mild scoliosis with a swayback, which is why I have this at such a young age, I've had this since I was about your age 31-32 (I'm 36 now).

Just this past January both of my shoulders just all of a sudden started hurting really bad! I waited my usual week to go to the Dr. (sometimes the use of ibuprofen or a NSAID drug will take care of it) and by the end of that week I had lost almost ALL mobility in my shoulders, one being worse than the other. Dr. put me on prednisone, which took care of it, but again this past week or so, my shoulder (just one this time) has been swelling and hurting again. I go back to the dr. this week. I haven't had a bad bout of sciatica in a couple of years (knocking on wood here).

I'm curious, what kind of drugs are they going give you for this? I'm considering asking for something I can take daily besides the OTC stuff with the occasional prescription NSAID. My problem is my stomach cannot handle most of the arthritis medications I've taken in the past .

I know I'm probably not much help here but misery enjoys company, right? Exercise is crutial! It keeps my joints from getting stiff, or worse. I DO have to take it easy though most of the time. I usually have a few months out of the year where I feel fine for longer periods of time, usually in the summer. Winter is my worst time of year.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Old 06-09-04, 12:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

I am so sorry to hear about that. My husband has ankylosing spondilitis which is like yours but different in that it attacks different major joints, severely limited his neck mobility (and even his eyes!). He has some days when his eyes hurt so bad that he just closes them. I do hope you'll let us know how the meds are helping.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-04, 12:30 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Oh Pratima, thats just awful. I hope drugs work for you. Hang in there!!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-04, 12:40 PM  
Kerri

Pratima - I'm also very sorry to hear about your pain and frustration. Hopefully you will have a confirmed diagnosis soon and will be able to get treatment. I recently read that Keli Roberts, one of my favorite video instructors, also has R.A. I know that's not any consulation, but it's reflective of the fact that many R.A. sufferers are able to get it under control and go on to live very active lives!

Best wishes to you,

Kerri
Kerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-04, 12:48 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Oh Pratima, I can understand how frustrated you are. You don't want to feel that your body is betraying you. It's good news though that you will be able to get it under control and still be active. I know how much you love running and exercise. Hang in there sweetie!
Old 06-09-04, 12:58 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Thank you all for your encouragement and support! Something I can always count on VF for.

I took Vioxx for a couple of weeks, now I'm trying Celebrex. I can't take Aleve or Ibuprofen for long, b/c I had an ulcer when I was 25. Apparently there's some malaria drug that the doctor might try next if this doesn't work. WebMd.com had some good information.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one (misery DOES love company). I've also gotten a couple of PMs about this. It REALLY helps to know that I can be active again once this is under control. The doctor seemed optimistic about that.

She also mentioned that this can sometimes (but probably not often) go into remission. I like that, but probably shouldn't hold on to that idea...

While we're sorting this out, she suggested swimming. Swimming! Which dries my hair out, doesn't come with good music, good instructor, background exercisers, or cute outfits!
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote