Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-04, 09:08 PM  
eas

Sore neck from aerobics?

I've found that I often get a slightly sore neck when I do aerobics tapes. After some thinking I realized it's because I am turning my head and even worse, trying to hold it steady to see the tv.

I guess the only solution to this is "don't do that", but does anyone have any other advice? I may rearrange my living room furniture so I can get further away from the tv but that may not give me enough side to side room (wait, maybe I can go diagonally).
eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 09:15 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I tend to tense up my neck muscles when I lift my arms above my head. I now have to consciouly guard against it, or I get neck pain. I'm very careful with aerobics choreography that has you waving your arms a lot.
Old 06-03-04, 08:58 AM  
Sissy B

This has happened to me too!

I pulled my neck really bad one time trying to do a WATP workout in my bedroom. I had to keep turning my neck to see the workout (it was a small space) and the next morning I was in terrible pain and it was over a week before I was really able to workout again without any pain. I would definitely recommend positioning the TV where you do not have to turn your neck to follow the workout.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 09:20 AM  
Kimberly33

You know, I feel like I answer every thread this way, but it was such a HUGE problem for me, and I wonder if it's common. What are you doing with your shoulders? A lot of us have serious internal rotation--at rest our shoulders are rolling forward and inward. In my case, this caused my traps (the muscles connecting shoulders to neck) to overdevelop, and I was constantly having neck pain. My chest muscles were probably overdeveloped as well--they used to be consistently sore to the touch, also.

If you think that this might be your situation, you might want to concentrate on pulling your shoulderblades down your back (imagine someone's palms on your shoulderblades putting pressure into your back and down). Try not to overarch your back (this will cause your chest to stick out a bit--I think that's part of the reason I had developed this--trying to minimize my chest). Another way to work on it is to think of broadening the collarbones (as though you were going to show off a necklace you were wearing). Try to let your shoulders fall away from your ears (or, your ears float away from your shoulders--don't force it too much). It can be hard to keep this position at first, but if you keep trying to hold it whenever you think of it, it gets easier.

Since I've been working on this, I've had fewer migraines, and my back and shoulders feel better than ever. I've noticed that MANY people I see on the street have shoulders that roll forward. It's probably exacerbated by computer work and reading. This might not be your problem, but if it is, I hope this helps!

Kimberly

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 09:48 AM  
Donna Mc
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly33
You know, I feel like I answer every thread this way, but it was such a HUGE problem for me, and I wonder if it's common. What are you doing with your shoulders? A lot of us have serious internal rotation--at rest our shoulders are rolling forward and inward. In my case, this caused my traps (the muscles connecting shoulders to neck) to overdevelop, and I was constantly having neck pain. My chest muscles were probably overdeveloped as well--they used to be consistently sore to the touch, also.

If you think that this might be your situation, you might want to concentrate on pulling your shoulderblades down your back (imagine someone's palms on your shoulderblades putting pressure into your back and down). Try not to overarch your back (this will cause your chest to stick out a bit--I think that's part of the reason I had developed this--trying to minimize my chest). Another way to work on it is to think of broadening the collarbones (as though you were going to show off a necklace you were wearing). Try to let your shoulders fall away from your ears (or, your ears float away from your shoulders--don't force it too much). It can be hard to keep this position at first, but if you keep trying to hold it whenever you think of it, it gets easier.

Since I've been working on this, I've had fewer migraines, and my back and shoulders feel better than ever. I've noticed that MANY people I see on the street have shoulders that roll forward. It's probably exacerbated by computer work and reading. This might not be your problem, but if it is, I hope this helps!

Kimberly
Very interesting! I will try this. I've had shoulder problems for YEARS and my chest muscles are always sore to the touch. I've been working on posuture anyway but no so much in the upper body region.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-04, 10:12 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly33

Kimberly
So right Kimberly! At least that was certainly me. After I injured my shoulder my PT pointed out that, after years of weight workouts, my chest was over-developed and so were my traps. And I was certainly rounding forward.

Ever since I've been going lower on chest work and adding more rear delt flies over a stability ball etc. etc.

I've been working on all the posture points you name -- gives me something to do while I wait for the subway.

Way less tension in my neck in shoulders now.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 12:15 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

How many people, upon reading Kimberly's post, tried rolling their shoulders back and down and broadening their collarbones? Feels good!
Old 06-03-04, 02:05 PM  
Kymmco

Quote:
How many people, upon reading Kimberly's post, tried rolling their shoulders back and down and broadening their collarbones? Feels good!
Heh, I know I just did! Sat right up in my chair in front of the computer where I was all hunched over. I know pilates style back exercises and yoga have strengthened my lower back so much and helped my posture, especially sitting, so now I need to work on my upper back and rolling my shoulders back. Thanks for the reminder!
Kymmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 03:36 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I like the image of showing off a necklace. That's a good one to think of during the day.
Old 06-04-04, 06:32 AM  
paidhi
VF Supporter

I've also found that yoga has helped me tremendously in being continuously aware of my posture and relaxing my neck and shoulders. I've had very little pain since.

Lisa
paidhi is offline   Reply With Quote