Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-04, 08:12 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Bouncing while stretching and Callanetics

I've always heard bouncing while stretching is a no no. So this week as I tried my first Callanetics tape (the first one), I have to ask how this is okay for Callanetics? It seems like a lot of the moves involve pulsing one body part while stretching it.

Other than that, I kind of like the tape. It doesn't bore me like it does a lot of people. The abs part is hard for me, and I can't figure out the hip move on the floor, but otherwise, it's fun to try something new.

Sarah
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 08:23 AM  
AngiTN

To me, pulsing the muscle, ala Callanetics or Lotte Berk, is different than bouncing. The moves are very tiny and barely noticable when done correctly. The muscle worked is quite deep. Bouncing is much larger movement usually and does not work the deep muscle that you are targeting. At least that's the way it seems to me when doing the exercises.
Old 06-03-04, 08:34 AM  
Donna Mc
VF Supporter

What Angi said

The pulsing in Callanetics is such a small movement that it is almost more mental then physical, does that make sense? When I'm doing Callan, I can barely tell the body part I'm working is moving, but it is and working hard I might add!

The bouncing during stretching that was done in the 80's was litterally bouncing hard enough to stretch the muscle farther than it's willing to go, which is a big no no as you could really hurt yourself.

I hope that helps.
Old 06-03-04, 09:46 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

That makes sense. That tiny movement is also why I have trouble seeing what I'm supposed to be doing sometimes (or whether it's working). I guess I'm not expected to have the hang of it yet, though.

Thanks for the help.
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 10:27 AM  
Megan
VF Supporter

I have nothing to add to what the others have said but I just wanted to add some encouragement. Keep practicing those exercises and you'll get them! I felt the same way you did at first but after some practice I was able to figure it out. The hips & behind exercises are especially tough to get. I find that it helps to practice every few days rather than leaving it more than a week. Muscle has memory, you know
Old 06-03-04, 11:21 AM  
cz639

The bouncing-type stretch in Callanetics is different from the 80s aerobics bouncing stretches in that you are gently pulsing and are not using hard, jerking motions to stretch the muscle. When I first tried Callanetics years ago (I still have a fondness for that tape since it was one of the first workout videos I tried), the hip and behind exercises were also hard for me to get, but with perseverance and practice I was able to get the form of those exercises. They do become easier the more times you do the workout.

Born to be wild - live to outgrow it.
Lao Tzu
cz639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 11:52 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Last night while dh was hogging the tv I did Callanetics abs and hips and behind from the book. I must've been doing something right because dh asked why I was holding static contractions. I was pulsing but he didn't see it. Bouncing is dangerous. Pulsing is so tiny it's hard to see.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 10:14 PM  
cowfishpro

Yes, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda H
Last night while dh was hogging the tv I did Callanetics abs and hips and behind from the book. I must've been doing something right because dh asked why I was holding static contractions. I was pulsing but he didn't see it. Bouncing is dangerous. Pulsing is so tiny it's hard to see.
I agree with what all of you saying about the pulsing. I would also add that I feel pulsing is a "controlled" movement where bouncing requires little control.

T
cowfishpro is offline   Reply With Quote