Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-18, 09:10 AM  
violingal3

I had cork in my old house - it was in a basement room that originally had super cushy carpet and padding (not good for working out!). I knew over the concrete floor I wanted a little cushion for high impact and warmth (so I ruled out bamboo and tile). I wanted easy to clean, so I didn't want rubber. It held up beautifully for 9 years until we moved. We are building a new home and there's no question I am putting down cork again in my basement workout room. There are so many patterns and colors to choose from now, and it's not that expensive!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-18, 09:13 AM  
owltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
What is the substrate under your bamboo (wood?) floor? ie "slab on grade" in a basement or "wood joist" on an upper floor.)
This is a one-story, no basement (currently live in houston, texas, plenty of flooding= hardly any basements. I dearly miss my old basement. so perfect for so many things). So the substrate is the standard concrete foundation.
Old 06-22-18, 09:15 AM  
owltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Same here. I am partial to carpet. I like the cushioning it provides and it is also cheaper. It has been a few years now since we put in a good, tough carpet with good padding. It has held up and still looks brand new. My step bench has always stayed in place. The cost to do rubber flooring was too expensive for the amount of use it would get. I just couldn't justify it. I also questioned how it would affect my knees with all the jumping I do. It also makes the basement room look more "homey." Just my opinion.
I really do agree. The carpet has been great for step (though I do have a nice little worn out area where it has been clear I do my stepping ). I just don't want to lay down a whole new floor right now. Maybe down the road.
Old 06-22-18, 09:20 AM  
owltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
I had cork in my old house - it was in a basement room that originally had super cushy carpet and padding (not good for working out!). I knew over the concrete floor I wanted a little cushion for high impact and warmth (so I ruled out bamboo and tile). I wanted easy to clean, so I didn't want rubber. It held up beautifully for 9 years until we moved. We are building a new home and there's no question I am putting down cork again in my basement workout room. There are so many patterns and colors to choose from now, and it's not that expensive!
You know, this is one I had considered - I have a friend who has cork in her bedroom who just loves it. I am definitely in the easy to clean camp. If we were to redo that flooring, I could lean towards this or carpet.
Old 06-22-18, 04:59 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

Why does everybody think rubber is hard to clean? Carpet requires steam cleaning. Rubber can just be cleaned with soap and water. Am I missing something here? I wouldn't put rubber on concrete though. That would be super hard. My mats are just on top of my hardwood floor which is on top of a plywood subfloor.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor mats, flooring