Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-16, 10:50 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Cataddict - I hope you never actually test your theory of what would make your boss fire you.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 10:52 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Cataddict - I hope you never actually test your theory of what would make your boss fire you.
LOL no intention of doing so. I'll let someone else at my company try that one!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 12:31 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandmom View Post
I was beginning to feel I was the only one who felt this way.
Until last year, I never thought I'd retire. My dad worked until he died and my mom worked until medical problems forced her to retire. I've been putting funds into my 401(k) for a long time, and racking up Social Security for even longer, but never thought I'd collect any of it. And since I already married a musician, it's too late for me to marry rich! It was a discussion last year with DH, branching from the question "What will you do if you get laid off?" (a recurring possibility in my job), that led us toward the idea of international retirement.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 12:36 PM  
sherry7899

Laura-that is so exciting that you're thinking of retiring in another country! I hope things work out well for you and your DH.

We know we will likely have to move out of our state whenever we do retire. The taxes and car insurance in our state (NJ) are insane.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 12:42 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I retired several years ago from a very stressful career on Wall Street. My advice (besides saving like crazy and educating yourself about investing-- it makes a huge difference) is to develop plans of how you will spend your time. Besides home exercise and a renewed interest in swimming, I have re-discovered my interest in art. If you are curious, take a look at my profile picture.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 01:22 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Most people can't afford to retire. I figure I'll have to work till I drop or marry a rich man or win the lottery. But even that is difficult nowadays with the horrible economy and age discrimination.
I took a low-pay union job in a cultural institution whe I was about 30. I knew I had to afford retirement. Met my husband at 50 at same institution and situation. Both made pittance our whole lives. But it works for us, and we travel. We can't afford a car, but then, I don't want one anyway.

When I was 30 I felt a little like I was selling out, but it worked out. And hooray for Medicare.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 05:47 PM  
bk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Laura-that is so exciting that you're thinking of retiring in another country! I hope things work out well for you and your DH.

We know we will likely have to move out of our state whenever we do retire. The taxes and car insurance in our state (NJ) are insane.

Sherry
I live in nj too and want to leave in 4years when hubby is retiring. I work from home currently in the medical coding field, but previously worked as an accountant and programmer. I am 55 and my husband is 58. He gets a pension from a city job. I have a couple of pensions from older jobs. My daughter graduated college this year, so now we are waiting for his ss. Always saved a lot in both 401-k plans. I can't wait to retire.
bk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 06:03 PM  
Carol K

What a coincidence. I was a computer programmer for 23 years and now I'm a medical coder for a university teaching hospital. I'm 59 and my husband is 57 and is still a computer programmer. He hates his job and I love mine.
Old 08-04-16, 06:57 PM  
bk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
What a coincidence. I was a computer programmer for 23 years and now I'm a medical coder for a university teaching hospital. I'm 59 and my husband is 57 and is still a computer programmer. He hates his job and I love mine.
I don't like mine too much. They expect superhuman speed and perfect accuracy.
Old 08-04-16, 07:08 PM  
bk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I don't like mine too much. They expect superhuman speed and perfect accuracy.

Tags
retirement