Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-15, 03:19 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraKate View Post
yup

still hate 'em

anything new ans sun salute free in the last 2 years or so?
Have you ever tried one of the create-your-own-yoga-routine apps? I use them at times (I hate sun salutes too), and even the premade routines that are already on the app can be edited to get rid of the sun salutes. Not sure if that's your thing, but thought I'd mention it.

http://yogastudioapp.com/ (this is my favorite, but only available on Apple)

http://www.pocketyoga.com/Apps/PocketYoga (Pocket Yoga Practice Builder is my 2nd favorite - not as good as Yoga Studio, but available on both Apple and Android)
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 10:41 AM  
dianestjohn

I have to chime in on this thread because I did lotsa sun salutations about 20? years ago in the Bryan Kest/Baron Baptiste years, burned out on them totally, ditched all of my power yoga dvds, discovered kundalini. Fade out, fade in, Travis enters my life a couple years ago and I liked Ultimate Yogi so much that I just went along with the whole vinyasa thing again and discovered that sun salutations are now tolerable but still not fun. I am still in that mode and doing a wide variety of yoga from online sources and just trying to take it one pose at a time

Yoga experts, I assume sun salutations are very good for the body? I would love to hear some of the benefits so I can think of them in a more therapeutic way. I know burpees (OMG don't get me started on how much I hate them but I still do them) and other up-and-down movements are really stimulating for the cardiovascular system so maybe that is their main benefit? Plus sun sals stretch both the front and back body I guess?
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 12:27 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
Yoga experts, I assume sun salutations are very good for the body? I would love to hear some of the benefits so I can think of them in a more therapeutic way. I know burpees (OMG don't get me started on how much I hate them but I still do them) and other up-and-down movements are really stimulating for the cardiovascular system so maybe that is their main benefit? Plus sun sals stretch both the front and back body I guess?
Well, I certainly wouldn't call myself a yoga expert, though I've done teacher training and have taught a little.

I don't know anybody that still teaches sun salutations. If you're into strength building yoga, like Iyengar or other alignment disciplines, they're generally not done.

They may be good for some bodies. Definitely not for mine.

Power yoga was a fad, was never universally adored, and still is preferred by some people, but it's not a big deal anymore.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 03:13 PM  
yaya

following
Old 12-14-15, 03:27 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
Power yoga was a fad, was never universally adored, and still is preferred by some people, but it's not a big deal anymore.
and it was hardly cardio.

Of course, the sun salutes I'd innovated were devoid of the three-pose "vinyasa sequence" (certainly not loved by me) and were slow ... because they had been based on the Shiva Namaskar ... a degree of difference from the ashtanga/power yoga surya namaskar; that in retrospect is much appreciated ... and will never be forgotten in its transformative properties.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no sun salutations, no sun salutes, old thread alert, sun salutations, yoga