Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-15, 07:42 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
You can read most profiles on LinkedIn without joining. Perhaps not as detailed though. I don't have a resume on LinkedIn since I don't need another stalker.
I don't have a resume on there either. And it's not just stalkers to be concerned about, identity thieves can use your work history to open credit cards, etc in your name since that is a common question used to confirm identity. I also have my profile on private so it's not searchable by search engines, although I think it's searchable within Linkedin, so another reason not to list my full resume.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 11:23 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I don't use LinkedIn just for job searching. The groups I joined are very valuable when there are changes in that field. One of my roles is HR. And right now there is serious talk of changes in FLSA standards. There is a lot of discussions going on in my groups about how this will affect the work place and how to handle these changes. Folks throw out questions and others respond.

There is also much workplace and career articles on the site. All valuable career tools.
Agreed. My career field is changing all the time, and the groups are valuable to identify those changes and have serious discussions about them. However, I never considered that maybe posting a resume with your name and address would be fodder for identity thieves. I may remove the addresses, but keep the resume up there. Do you think that would help?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 11:52 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with this, " if you want to be hired in a technology role, you have to be comfortable with technology. Which means, having an online presence. " My husband has been in technology for years and is currently in cyber security. Very comfortable with technology. Not so much with having an online presence. He does not have a LinkedIn account.
I'm comfortable with technology. Not comfortable with all my personal info being out there. I'm retired, so I don't need to network. I've belonged to FaceBook two brief times over the years. I've never joined any other social media. I never used my real name and always had extra email accounts for FB. I turned off any setting that could be turned off. The trouble with FaceBoook is all the faces I kept seeing that I didn't want to see. No way to turn that off. Plus, I was stunned at the extremely personal info that "peeps" would post. Like that they were going on vacation. Or, political and/or religious crap that was a bore for me. I quit FB again.

I'm just glad I didn't put all those nude photos of myself on "The Cloud."
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 12:35 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Agreed. My career field is changing all the time, and the groups are valuable to identify those changes and have serious discussions about them. However, I never considered that maybe posting a resume with your name and address would be fodder for identity thieves. I may remove the addresses, but keep the resume up there. Do you think that would help?
I don't know about addresses, but when I've applied for credit I've been asked questions like, "where did you work in 2002?" for example, and if someone is trying to steal your identity and you have that info on Linkedin, it would be pretty easy for them to find it. I'm not looking for a job so I have no reason to have my full resume on there. Even if I was looking for a job, I still don't think I'd post it.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-15, 08:57 AM  
DBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
FYI: you can do anonymous searches on Linked In. Others don't have to know that you've looked at their profile. You don't need a premium account to know who looked at your profile.

ETA: for others who have Linked In and would like to search anonymously:

1) Go to Privacy and Settings
2) Click on "Select what others can see when you've viewed their profile"
3) Select "You will be totally anonymous"

Note: When you do this you will also lose the ability to see who has viewed your profile. I'm fine with that, so it doesn't bother me. All you will see is the # of people who have viewed your profile in the past 90 days.
I am not set up as anonymous, but I don't see who viewed my profile, just the number of views. It tells me to select premium to see who viewed.

If you are set up as anonymous, can someone with the premium service still see that you viewed their profile?

thanks!
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-15, 10:29 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
At our career class, we were told to put just our name, phone number and email address for contact info. A street address isn't necessary. Optionally, you can put a line in the resume body like "I'm seeking work in the Baltimore or DC areas" or wherever you want to work.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-15, 10:47 AM  
Izzy

I think this is why Linkedin removed folks ability to see resumes from their site. If you load your resume as part of your profile, it is hidden on the back end of the site and then's available to attach to a job application if you are apply via linkedin. But you can no longer see anyone's resume. My guess because of the personal information, address, phone, email on the resumes. Most people have their settings set to private which means the only way they will see anything other than your name, your current position and your job history is to send an "in mail" to you. Also you used to be able to see others connections and you can no longer see that. You can only see areas where you have been endorsed.

You should be able to see who looked at your profile by clicking on "Profile" across the top and then drop down to "who has viewed my profile." Also you can set your settings to be notified if someone viewed your profile. When I was job searching, I had this set on because I wanted to know if my profile was being looked at. Then I would reply back as a means to encourage them to call me in for an interview.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 06:43 PM  
TinierTina

Ironic the fate of a female human rights lawyer ...

All because of LinkedIn and outdated (old-boys'-club or whatever it is called in the U.K.) attitudes ...

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/...-sexist-remark

I'd never been conventionally physically attractive enough to have garnered such appraisal, attention and notoriety in any professional world (in most of my day—an unwired world, at that), but now I can kind of see why some women get defensive, or try to hold on to their "youth" if they are my age, in a very defensive manner; or are overcautious about LinkedIn and the like ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 07:48 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBW View Post
I am not set up as anonymous, but I don't see who viewed my profile, just the number of views. It tells me to select premium to see who viewed.

If you are set up as anonymous, can someone with the premium service still see that you viewed their profile?

thanks!
Hmmm....I didn't think you needed the premium service. I search anonymously and Linkedin always tells me that if I want to see who viewed my profile, I have to turn off anonymous searches and doesn't say anything about needing a premium service. Regardless, if you select to search Linkedin anonymously, premium users won't know who you are. It will still say, "Anonymous user" or something like that.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 08:34 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

I made the mistake of getting included in a high school reunion group. Now I'm getting all sorts of stuff from the committee and people I don't know but went to the same HS. Yuck. I only got involved to please an old friend and now I wish I hadn't.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
facebook, linkedin, privacy, social media, technology