Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-13, 09:18 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssa438 View Post
FYI- this looks like a "teaser" book by the author of Thinner, Leaner Stronger
. Might be worth downloading to get an idea about whether the TLS book would interest you. It is free on Amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Fit-New-Skinny...ywords=healthy
Cool, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Would anyone be interested in a check in? Something like looking for more muscle?
If so we can start one on here
I'd be in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie F. View Post
I'd be interested in a check-in, Rhonda, but I'm terrible at check-ins. Everyone starts responding at length to everyone else, and I feel guilty of I just post my workouts, so I drop out of the check-in.
Mollie,
I usually drop out because of that too but I don't think anyone would mind if you'd just post your workout and nothing else! We're all busy and have different schedules in our lives. I figure who wants to write more, does so and who's limited on time, keeps it short and that's fine too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Val and Rhonda I would join a check in. Tomorrow's the start of a new week. Anyone want to start the thread?
Sounds great! I started one http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...12#post2241812

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 09:27 AM  
Harantwanders

As I (cough, sigh) embrace this increase in aging and the way my joints hurt more so I lift lighter weights and actually DO like being a bit all around smaller, I must say that I DO still aspire to muscle and still have a nice assortment, am just looking for more of what Joyce would call "definition" ... the look of a fit and strong martial artist and for me, of a certain age.

It all fights within moi for I do really love to lift heavy but am just striking the balance and it is working out.

I don't have time or interest for internet check-ins anymore lol.

The TA look? Not so much.
Old 06-09-13, 09:38 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I'm all about having muscles, but I do incorporate TA into my regime. I have been for over 1 1/2 years. Adding her into my regime has complemented my existing strength program. I still have a lot of muscle (haven't lost any at all) and I'm still very strong, so I think one could incorporate TA without the "so call" TA look that is often hinted here at VF.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 10:02 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I think one could incorporate TA without the "so call" TA look that is often hinted here at VF.
I thought the TA look was only achieved if one stuck to TA and TA only. If you are lifting anything over 3 lbs, well, there goes the look....
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:17 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssa438 View Post
I doubt that anything that he is saying is earthbreaking or new, but it is really straight to the point and practical. That is what I was looking for to figure out a plan. I am sick of researching!
Thanks for the additional info! I don't think things have to be earthbreaking or new to be useful, sometimes quite the contrary. Unfortunately the teaser isn't available to Canada but thanks for sharing it with the community. It looks like a good straightforward resource.

I am also another one who likes to include those "nothing over 3 lbs!" programs - Ballet body, Classical Stretch, Dream Body. While it's possible that adding heavy lifting to those programs negates the aesthetic results they promote (maybe, I don't know/care - just going by what the instructors say), I've become increasingly convinced that adding them to a lifting program enhances the functional results of lifting, via the different ranges of motion and focus on stabilization through the hips, shoulders and core.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:50 AM  
Kyra

I recently saw a Facebook post by athletic trainer Eric Cressey that said something along the lines of - the reason he became a power lifter is because he didn't like having to count to more than 1 on any given set. I'm not a powerlifter but I strongly resemble that remark.

As for a check-in: right now I'm having enough trouble keeping up with one. I might swing through a strength check in (I am always interested in learning about new programs!), but wouldn't presume to become a regular contributor.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 11:57 AM  
dnk
VF Supporter

Like others, I love the idea of getting more visible muscle, but that's just not my body- it builds muscle mass very reluctantly. I also have some issues that make it hard for me to lift heavy weights, specifically a separation in my rectus abdominis thanks to a twin pregnancy and the fact that I recover really poorly, no matter how much I sleep, stretch or hydrate. Lifting heavy- let's say 40 pounds for lower body, 12 to 15 for upper body- means that I have to take sometimes as much as a week to recover as in not feel painfully sore. I have too much to do to be achy for that long.

Like Helen S, lrb04 and Sophie, I enjoy body weight workouts (yoga, Pilates, some dance-inspired), and I also use light-weight workouts that focus on my smaller postural muscles. But I absolutely groan when some instructor starts rattling on about "getting a feminine physique" or not being in danger of "bulking up". Thanks, but I'm just there to get strong in my own way.

Deb
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 12:17 PM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out here who wants muscles and lots of them.

Seems like many here want the thinner, "Tracy Anderson" look, and hey, if that's what you want, more power to you. You got to look the way you want to look!
Honestly, I just don't want a lot of extra body fat. I'm happy with whatever happens to be under there. LOL
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 01:31 PM  
F1mom

Yes. I gave up on the teeny tiny look when I started getting back aches from hosting my 2 year old into the car. I'm aspiring to a bikini/fitness physique and hope to actually start that particular training plan later this year.

Some of the physiques I admire are Jennifer Nicole Lee, Zuzana, Jamie Eason and Marta Montenegro.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 07:01 PM  
lorajc

Yes I want muscles with lots of definition, but I do a variety of all types of workouts to prevent boredom. I also have injuries that prevent me from lifting super heavy....so I just have to accept that. I still think I can lift heavy enough for health, strength and some muscle.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college dorm workout, joyce vedral, muscle building, muscles equal sexy, workout space