Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-11, 04:29 PM  
kariev34

how has different workouts changed your body

Between all of the bandwagons out there, all the choices we have and our love for workouts, we have all done many types of workouts. I want to know what effects each type of workout has had on your body.

circuits
AWT
pure cardio steady state
pure cardio intervals
light weight lifting
heavy weight lifting
pilates
yoga
barre

How has each of these workouts affected your body or even your mind?
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 04:57 PM  
Sophie

this is a pretty tough question. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who has never done one type of activity exclusively, and so any effect on my body has always been the result of a combination of workouts. In addition, nothing I do is independent of how I've been eating, or whatever else is going on in my life in terms of physical or mental stress.

So in terms of size/weight changes, I really cannot say how different workouts have changed my body. Pretty much, if I stay consistent with activity and watch what I eat, I'll get smaller no matter what the activity is. This has been true throughout my lifetime.

I can say that I seem to gain more absolute strength if I lift heavy, more strength endurance if I do light weights, more flexibility, core strength and balance if I include yoga/stretch, better cardio endurance if I do intervals or circuit, more power if I do kettlebells, and better joint stability and mobility if I do barre and classical stretch. But these are almost always done in a mix.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 05:18 PM  
Funmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
Between all of the bandwagons out there, all the choices we have and our love for workouts, we have all done many types of workouts. I want to know what effects each type of workout has had on your body.

circuits
AWT
pure cardio steady state
pure cardio intervals
light weight lifting
heavy weight lifting
pilates
yoga
barre

How has each of these workouts affected your body or even your mind?
Interesting question! Wow, but there are so many variables....

I found yoga made me feel the best (3-4 times a week, a very advanced class), helped me with patience and mental clarity, and helped me relax. Unfortunately I don't really like doing it, and it didn't do anything for me physically beyond improving my flexibility.

Nothing has ever burned fat (for me) like circuits/HIT/cardio intervals. Unfortunately these workouts result in excessive muscle building for my body type. I did have the most energy doing this kind of workout, and also felt really great about how strong I was at the time.

Heavy weight lifting bulks my muscles (on me anyway) and does not burn fat, and increases my appetite. And I've done steady state cardio all my life, on and off, and find it is great for losing weight if you put in the time, but again, it also increases my appetite which nullifies my caloric deficit from all that time working out!

Pilates is nice, but I saw no results beyond flexibility and balance.

Needless to say I'm still trying to find the ideal workout for me!

It is so interesting how different workouts, which seen as a "holy grail" by one person, can be a lousy workout for someone else. Definitely no one size fits all!
Funmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 05:20 PM  
steakhousegirl

I really can't answer because even though I have done rotations which focused on one particular style they all have elements of the others included.

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 05:25 PM  
Elise7

Body-pump type classes and similar dvds like Cathe's High Reps have eliminated fat and improved muscle tone.

High impact aerobics is another favorite.
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 05:38 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
This is a pretty tough question. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who has never done one type of activity exclusively, and so any effect on my body has always been the result of a combination of workouts.
I agree. I do all of these workout styles and I think they complement each other. The only problem is fitting it all in!

The only types of training I have added relatively recently are barre and cardio/weight circuits, so I think I can pinpoint how they have helped.

Barre has improved my balance and unilateral leg strength (eg in doing strength exercises like single-leg-deadlifts), dramatically shrunk my saddlebags, and dramatically shrunk and perkified my butt. It's also helped me to activate my formerly lazy glute muscles, which has improved my weightlifting. Plus, there's also a prehab element in strengthening the smaller, typically underused muscles around the hips which has improved my Pilates.

Strength/cardio circuits have helped me to lose a little weight, or at least stabilise my weight, and improved my overall fitness. This workout style has also improved my coordination and agility. Plus, DVDs in this style usually include a balance element (see above).
Old 03-21-11, 06:29 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Barre has improved my balance and unilateral leg strength (eg in doing strength exercises like single-leg-deadlifts), dramatically shrunk my saddlebags, and dramatically shrunk and perkified my butt. It's also helped me to activate my formerly lazy glute muscles, which has improved my weightlifting. Plus, there's also a prehab element in strengthening the smaller, typically underused muscles around the hips which has improved my Pilates.
That's exactly why I took up and have stuck to barre (I include Classical stretch in this category). It's made a huge difference to my post-physiotherapy knee rehab, and I've become stronger in many yoga poses, stronger in my kettlebell workouts, and oh yeah - greatly reduced pain and much improved range of motion. It's the newest thing I've added into my routine, so something I can kinda-sorta pinpoint also.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 06:34 PM  
kariev34

Yeah, it is a tough question. Sorry. I have enjoyed all your answers thus far. Thanks
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 06:39 PM  
dnk
VF Supporter

Pilates helped me "connect" with my intrinsic muscles, particularly my transversus abdominis. That helped define my waist and improve my posture, but also helped me with everyday and other fitness activities. Yoga has definitely helped me find and maintain focus and calm.

I don't think I can say that Pilates and yoga gave me a certain body- I already have a hypermobile body that doesn't build muscle easily. Conversely, my body didn't really change when I was lifting weights and doing traditional cardio because of that.

Deb
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 08:41 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

I've always done cardio, weight lifting, and stretch but I noticed the most change in by body when I added pilates. I just felt and looked more toned up over all.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
results