Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-11, 06:42 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Any Certified Pilates Method Instructors here?

Hi everyone,

I wondered if there were any other certified Pilates Method instructors here - I'm looking for a Pilates DVD that's more technical that I can recommend to clients who want to try pilates but only have access to a DVD.

I'm looking for a DVD that explains "neutral spine" and "TA activation"in depth.

Thanks so much.

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 07:46 PM  
klwgriffin

It's been a very long time since I've done them, but I remember thinking this about the Rael Isacowitz System 7/17/27 DVDs. They're really cheap too, if you want to check them out first. This will give you an idea. It's the intermediate, so he probably explained it thoroughly in the first one.

I have NOT seen these beyond the preview yet, but the Elizabeth Larkam DVDs might be another option (she's a great instructor). All About Abs introduces the principles and should cover what you're looking for. Since I don't need them for anything, the price has kept me from checking them out. There might even be a podcast on the Balanced Body site that meets your needs.

As far as better known DVDs, Stott are always a good bet. They're not my favorite, but they go beyond the fluff. The instructor training ones might be better for more thorough explanations.

I'm sure there are tons more and I'm interested to see other replies.

I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
klwgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 08:52 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Stott also came to my mind. She did a good job explaining and not going fast.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 04:05 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Thanks for the tips - I'll go and check them out!

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 05:21 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

You can also check Classical Pilates Technique. I heard Stott and CPT are both considered good instructional, but one does flat spine, and one does neutral spine (can remember which was which.)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 05:32 PM  
dnk
VF Supporter

I'm fully certified by Physical Mind for mat and apparatus. I haven't seen a technical dvd out there that most students/clients would want to sit through.

As for popular dvds, I like Liz Gillies. She gives good form tips and keeps things pretty simple. Her first mat workout would probably be best for someone just starting out, but her "parts" dvd a few years after that is one of my favorites.

Deb
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 06:28 PM  
klwgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnk View Post
I'm fully certified by Physical Mind for mat and apparatus. I haven't seen a technical dvd out there that most students/clients would want to sit through.
Deb
Unfortunately, this has been my experience as well. The only saving grace is that once you get it, you get it (well, most people); then the more "fun" workouts with less technical cues intended to serve more as reminders than explanations should be adequate.

I also feel that some people just need hands-on instruction to fully grasp these concepts because we can see how their bodies respond to how they perceive what's being said/shown and what they may or may not be able to feel, and we can guide them from there until they gain more body awareness. Different cues and imagery work for different people, so no matter how well something is explained on a DVD, they're not one size fits all and there's no further feedback (although the gaming technology is pretty close - it probably exists, but I haven't seen it used impressively for Pilates yet). If DVD is truly their only option, maybe a really great technical DVD and a really great fun-to-do DVD would be a good pairing, and then you can provide feedback when you do have the opportunity to work with them again.

I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
klwgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 07:31 PM  
Arielle96

Jennifer Kries did a set that seemed to be more geared to the instructor. It is very thorough. It's called the Master Trainer Series.

http://www.jenniferkries.com/store.html

Hope this link works.
Arielle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 07:50 PM  
KathAL79

I'm not a Pilates instructor / certified in Pilates (although I'd love to be), but you might want to look specifically at Stott's Professional series, which are ones aimed at instructors, although they are easily used as follow-along workouts. If you can find the second edition of the Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced, I'd recommend them, because Moira also includes a lot of good tidbits on modifications as people work up to the full exercises. I'm not as jazzed with the third editions, which are nearly identical in terms of exercise selection and order as the second, but are not as well chaptered, have less discussion of modifications, and are intended more as workouts.
Stott has progressively moved more toward a neutral spine, although they do discuss their version of the imprint (less dramatic than people think), which they use any time the legs are up in the air when one is supine.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 10:18 PM  
dnk
VF Supporter

I had been teaching for a couple of years (just mat at that point) when I tried one of Stott's dvds. 17 minutes into it, I couldn't deal- we were still warming up.

Stott uses a lot of the terms that the Physical Mind Institute uses, and PMI used them first. (But I understand Moira and Joan B. are very good friends, so no hard feelings ) "Imprint" is a very poor word choice in both systems; it should refer to the *muscles* imprinting to the spine, but it sounds like the spine imprinting into the mat, and that's how some instructors use it.

I love Jennifer Kries, but I don't have her trainer dvds. Here's a youtube clip of the mat one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23n--3HddQw

Deb
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates, pilates form, pilates instruction