Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-23, 11:20 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Different kinds of lunges

I have a problem with lunges because of my flat feet. In addition to that, my right foot is even weaker from an accident many years ago. Because of this I'm looking for the best way to do lunges. Bending that back foot in half is very hard for me. I can never go very low when I lunge,

I think moving lunges burn more calories, but static lunges help in developing proper form.

I'm wondering if I should just do step ups instead. Thighs are my problem area, so I want to do exercises that hit them.
Old 01-17-23, 12:20 PM  
prettyinpink

Do split squats help you control the back foot better?
Rear-foot-elevated split squats avoid having you bend and put pressure on the back foot at all. They are sometimes called Bulgarian split squats.

Single leg squats of various kinds are good.

I was wondering if elevating the front foot on a step or 4-6” box might help you. I don’t know if that would be easier on the back foot while helping you get lower, or not.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-23, 12:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

how about lunging onto a:

4" step co. step top
Firm Wave
Ramp

PrettyinPink has a good suggestion on elevating the back foot.

static vs. moving lunges: my HR went up pretty high when doing static lunges. i was holding weights. This was in Tony Little's Body Express series. The move is timed, with beginners stopping at the 45-second mark, intermediate at 60 seconds, advanced at 75 seconds or something like that, then you switch legs. The Firm Lower Body split has several long sets of static lunges with Jen Carman.

you can do these without a video of course, maybe starting out shallow until your right leg builds up enough muscle and your mind-body connection has the form established.

when your right foot is the one that needs to be in the back, you could do either static or moving lunges with that back heel against a wall. again, go shallow at first. i'd also contract the abs especially when your weak foot is in the back to give yourself more stability.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-23, 12:48 PM  
buffmama

What I did:
kneel to squats with the rear foot on the top of the foot
front leaning lunges
lateral lunges
start bodyweight then add a weight on the side of the front leg
Bulgarians suck but work great re foot injuries
Old 01-17-23, 01:00 PM  
prettyinpink

Leaning forward lunges made me think of something else.

Leah Sarago does a lot of lunges at the barre. With the barre or a counter or chair for some support, you could take some pressure off the back foot that bothers you.

There should always be some degree of leaning forward with lunges, according to some trainers. I think that having the torso more upright puts more pressure into the back leg and low back.

Curtsy lunges hit the legs a little differently, but to me it feels like they also put less stress on the back foot
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-23, 09:21 PM  
star117

I can't remember who, but a fitness person I follow is currently doing step ups due to a toe injury
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lunge variations, lunges