Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you like compound moves in weight workouts?
I like compound moves in weight workouts. 3 10.34%
I do NOT like compound moves in weight workouts. 18 62.07%
I don't mind either way. 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-22, 12:57 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Do you like compound moves in weight workouts?

I've never been crazy about compound moves using weights. Now that I'm a senior, I feel that I really want to concentrate on one thing at a time. Doing multiple moves holding weights feels unsafe to me.

Do you like compound moves in weight workouts?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 01:10 PM  
sbh

I am there with you! Now that I am a senior, I do not do most compound moves. I can still do some with good form, but lateral moves with weights always tweek my lower back. It's hard aging gracefully!
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 06:03 PM  
laurajhawk

I said "don't like" but I do often do them, and buy workouts with them, like Jessica's. But if I had to do one style only - compound or not - I'd definitely choose not.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 08:49 PM  
Vantreesta

I don't like them but I don't avoid them either. I don't like combining upper and lower body bc I can't go heavy enough for upper body to feel like I'm really working lower body.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 09:52 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I don't do lower body weight work. If there's a compound move, I just do the upper body part.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-22, 11:37 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I don't do lower body weight work. If there's a compound move, I just do the upper body part.
Yep, I've done that.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 06-04-22, 12:18 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I don't like combining upper and lower body bc I can't go heavy enough for upper body to feel like I'm really working lower body.
I've never done combination exercises (*) primarily for this reason. I prefer to do the exercises separately and use what seem like more appropriate weights for both, even if some people would call combining exercises more convenient. I wouldn't find the combinations more interesting or efficient than doing the same exercises separately.

(*) As VFers have discussed before, the term "compound exercise" is used much more often for what are also called "multi-joint" exercises, like squats or deadlifts. The opposite group is "isolation" or "single-joint" exercises.

I don't know how this VF usage started, but it can lead to misunderstanding and miscommunication. (Is a basic bench press a "compound" exercise? In most of the fitness world, it is; in VFspeak, it isn't.)

The term "combination exercise" has become more common in recent years, and we should use that term instead!
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-22, 06:17 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
I've never done combination exercises (*) primarily for this reason. I prefer to do the exercises separately and use what seem like more appropriate weights for both, even if some people would call combining exercises more convenient. I wouldn't find the combinations more interesting or efficient than doing the same exercises separately.

(*) As VFers have discussed before, the term "compound exercise" is used much more often for what are also called "multi-joint" exercises, like squats or deadlifts. The opposite group is "isolation" or "single-joint" exercises.

I don't know how this VF usage started, but it can lead to misunderstanding and miscommunication. (Is a basic bench press a "compound" exercise? In most of the fitness world, it is; in VFspeak, it isn't.)

The term "combination exercise" has become more common in recent years, and we should use that term instead!
Gee, thanks, Henry! I live in ignorance.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 06-04-22, 06:34 PM  
edensmom

I don't love combination moves but I'll do them, especially if I'm going for more of a cardio effect vs straight up strength training. As others have said, I can't go as heavy for either move as I would if I was doing them one at a time. However sometimes I want to get in more of a sweat and those type of workouts are useful in that regard.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combination exercise, combination exercises, combination moves, compound exercises, compound moves, compound weight workouts