Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-22, 08:16 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Anyone have an under the desk cycle

I've been thinking about getting one of these, not sure I have enough room to fit it under my desk, but maybe use it while watching TV. After doing my workout I tend to be a slug the rest of the day unless I have some task I must do. Would love suggestions.
Old 04-16-22, 10:38 AM  
cyana

Several months ago, I purchased a Cubii Jr from Costco, as I spend long hours working at a desk. I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I like using my Cubii - I keep my feet on the pedals most of the day and alternate between pedaling for a few minutes here and there throughout my work day and doing 30-60 minutes at a stretch. I have to push my desk chair back a small amount to keep my knees from banging into the underside of the desk, but it isn't enough to be problematic. The pedaling mechanism is very smooth and you'll frequently find me pedaling during meetings, as the noise level is low. The Costco package came with 2 lb soft hand weights, a grippy mat (my Cubii is on a hardwood floor and I haven't had any problems with it migrating), squishy grip strengtheners and 2 wheel cups that you can use with rolling desk chairs (I haven't had to use these yet).

The resistance setting range is fine for my needs and to be honest, I haven't cranked it all the way up, as my goal is to be able to pedal while working, versus grinding out a climb up a mountain.

I'm happy with my purchase and made it on the recommendation of another VFer - luvcritters - who has had a Cubii for quite some time and uses it frequently.

Here's a link to the Cubii web site: https://www.cubii.com . I was going to link to the Costco site, but wasn't able to get Cubii to come up on a search. Historically, Costco has put these on sale regularly and their sale price with the accessories is quite good.

Hope that helps.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 10:44 AM  
Vantreesta

Cyana, thanks for the great review! I'm not currently working so have no need for one but I've wondered in the past about them and if they were quiet.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 11:44 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

various consumer forums on the web reported that Costco sold the Cubii Jr for between $150-$170. i missed seeing it at our Costco but i did see it at Sam's for $207 (included the weights and mat). Sam's also has a tendency to discount their items after a few weeks.

I've noticed that both Sam's and Costco has had a lot of "leftover" fitness equipment since Christmas like dumbbells, inversion table, stationary bike, etc. i posted about the Cubii Jr in Sam's here at VF, and at the time, they had less than 10 for sale.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 12:27 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
various consumer forums on the web reported that Costco sold the Cubii Jr for between $150-$170. i missed seeing it at our Costco but i did see it at Sam's for $207 (included the weights and mat). Sam's also has a tendency to discount their items after a few weeks.

I've noticed that both Sam's and Costco has had a lot of "leftover" fitness equipment since Christmas like dumbbells, inversion table, stationary bike, etc. i posted about the Cubii Jr in Sam's here at VF, and at the time, they had less than 10 for sale.
I would love an inversion table at a discounted price! I'm not a Sam's or Costco member though so I will keep scouting.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 05:56 PM  
cyana

I went back and checked my order - I paid $199.99 for the Cubii Jr through Costco in late January of 2022. For me, it has definitely been a worthwhile purchase, as I'm using it at least 5 days a week.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-22, 09:10 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Is Cubii the only recommended brand, or are their others?
Old 04-17-22, 11:10 AM  
red1013

My siblings and I bought the Cubii for my elderly parents for Christmas a couple years ago. Not sure how much they used it, but they did complain about how heavy it was to move. After my dad died last year my mom moved into senior living and donated it to the workout room. Hopefully someone is getting some use out of it!
Old 04-17-22, 07:49 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Use the Cubi Jr1 - tends to slide away

I have the Cubi Jr1, I purchased it from Amazon a year ago.

I like it, it's smooth and it's heavy and the highest setting is enough to make me work up a bit of a sweat. I use it in front of the TV, but it seems low enough to fit beneath a desk.

It really is very sturdy, very well made.

I found that any kind of cycling is a bit hard on my knees and I have to plan it between other workouts so as not to overdo it.

I agree with others that it's super heavy to move (28 lbs), it's kind of awkward.

My only real complaint is that it creeps a bit forward a few inches as you pedal on it, regardless of the surface beneath. I've tried it on hardwood floor and carpet.

So I pedal awhile, then I bend over and pull it back - one side slides a bit more than they other. There's rubber strips on the bottom surface but it doesn't grip well enough when you're pushing against the pedals, I guess.

Sometimes I wedge it against a shelf and pedal away (it's just not facing the TV then).

Dawn

Tags
cubii, mini bike, office exercise, stealth fitness, under desk cycle