Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-18, 02:34 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Most workouts that use steps in an aerobic way have dancey moves that are needlessly complex. I prefer to use a step as a weight tool--like the tall box in various FIRM workouts (either to sit on for seated upper body or doing step ups for lower body) or using a traditional aerobic step for Jari Love's lying chest, pecs, and triceps work.

Frenetic step aerobics with complicated moves and dangerous step up/down that get boring once you master the combination are just dreadful. Steps can be great tools for strength and balance, and that's how I prefer them to be used.

I think this pretty much sums me up right now. If I can be bothered to use it. I have not used one for a few years now, but if I did it would be for for nostalgias sake. I might still drag it out for the odd step workout like Gilad's step and tone, Gins intense moves and a few Cathes.
Though nowadays I tend to use as least equipment as possible.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 02:47 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
I hold the same hatred for step that you do unless it's purely athletic with absolutely NO dancey coordinated moves whatsoever which would basically be a workout using a step
I do USE the step occasionally for workouts that aren't "step workouts". Last week I did Jessica's Metabolic Conditioning with the step.

I'm awfully clumsy on a step, and I don't like choreographed workouts as a general rule. I just don't want to use my brain in that way while I'm working out. I totally get that some people DO want to use their brain that way, and love step for that reason.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 05:47 PM  
wendug

It depends on what rotation I'm doing, but I usually do step at least once a week. I'm not very fond of very dancey step routines; I'm afraid I'll twist an ankle if it is too twisty! I recently discovered KCM's bonus step workout on Strength and Stamina and I LOVE IT! This is the kind of step workout I enjoy- great straight forward cardio. And I love her step-boxing, too!

If I'm doing a rotation that doesn't include step, I'll usually find a way to squeeze it in as an add on workout because I miss it.
Old 08-14-18, 06:03 PM  
TinaT

I only use Firms with the short box. It's not tradition step workouts like Cathe, Gin Miller etc. It's in a category all by itself. Not interested in anything that remotely has a traditional feel.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 06:51 PM  
muggle

As often as possible. I love Step but can’t do complex choreography. I always feel great afterwards.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 07:16 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I do step at least once a week these days, occasionally twice. I used to do it almost exclusively for cardio and on a 10 inch step---neither of which I do these days! I like dancier cardio like vintage step used to be and which I have rediscovered, but I will also do the more "recent" drill oriented step workouts. I feel the choreographed workouts go more quickly than drills.

I do want to comment that complicated up/down moves are not inherently dangerous on the step. We each have different levels of coordination and---for lack of a better term--rhythm. Some of the moves take practice, and if it looks too complicated to me at first, I just stop and watch and practice. Or do a different workout if I'm not in the mood to learn it! I know my limitations. Pretty much any activity can cause injury of some sort and step IMHO is no more likely than anything else.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 07:30 PM  
Fitstick

I love step! I remember back in the day cursing out Christi Taylor because I couldn’t pick up the choreography, but eventually I did and have had tons of fun with it. I like some of the dancy moves because it seems more fun than just drills. I keep my step height at the lowest level and have done that for years, it works for me. I try to do a step type workout a couple times a month. I would love some new step dvds.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 08:01 PM  
anne

I do step 1 to 3 times a week. For a long time I was stepping 4 to 6 times a week but I injured my hip really bad--the worst ever--several months ago and it's still not completely better. I really enjoy step class so I go but take it easier and leave early if I have to. Ellen Barrett workouts are helping a lot lately, too.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 09:08 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

When I do a Firm that has some step in it, I sometimes do it. Sometimes I FF through it. It hurts my knees. That’s about it.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 09:23 PM  
videofit

Never

Tags
step aerobics, step without a step