Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-01-22, 10:30 AM  
Vantreesta

Total Max Mixers July 2022

Just starting the new thread. Can't believe it's July already!

I posted my last workouts in the June thread so I can start July fresh here.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 12:09 PM  
JBliff

Hi all. My workout yesterday was 50 minutes of Body Combat + 15 minutes of pilates.

Vannie
- Thanks for getting us started. I totally forgot that it's July 1 already!

Waves to everyone. Have a good day.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 04:42 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Thanks for starting us off Vannie. Jbliff I forgot it was July too!

Resting yesterday and rested yesterday too. I wanted to cycle yesterday but we had thunderstorms.

Vannie I did not know you had suffered a hamstring tear. When was that? I guess that rules out sprinting. Ouch. What a great workout day you had Wednesday. I think a formal gait analysis would be much more rigorous than what I had on the treadmill, which was done by 2 college guys.

Jbliff is the Body Combat all kickboxing? Any regular boxing?

Waves to Cher and Gibbee
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 04:58 PM  
Vantreesta

Karen, yep June 2009, in a few seconds of stupidity and stubbornness while playing "can you do this" with my cousin's kid who was 7 at the time and in gymnastics. He said can you do the splits. Apparently not anymore! I was able to do with right leg forward but when I tried the left I couldn't quite go all the way down. But if course, I always could before so I pushed a little and we all heard an unpleasant noise. I tore the proximal hamstring tendon (small tear), anterior hip labrum and ligamentum teres. It's possible the labral tear was already there, I suppose, bc x-rays showed I have FAI in both hips which I believe makes labral tears much more likely. So yeah. My dad told me if I ever tried to do the splits again he would kick my butt. That's why I do so much glute and hamstring work, to keep those old injuries from getting too grumpy.

They said the gait analysis will take about an hour so yeah, I'm guessing much more in depth than two college guys!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-02-22, 05:58 AM  
JBliff

Hi all. My workout yesterday was 50 minutes of total body strength training + 30 minutes of pilates.

Vannie - Ouch on the tendon tear. Sometimes being too competitive isn't good! An hour of gait analysis sounds very in depth.

Karjoy - I hope your race goes well today. Body Combat is not straight kickboxing. It has elements of Muay Thai and Capoeira in addition to Taekwando moves. There are also strength moves like pushups and planks in addition to abs.

Waves to everyone. Have a great Saturday.
Old 07-02-22, 08:52 AM  
Vantreesta

Good luck today, Karen!

Old 07-02-22, 07:22 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Thanks for the good wishes guys. The Tri went great. Chris and I did most of it together and had fun. There were lots of participants. You could tell many of them probably lived close by and did the race only for fun. There were people just wearing swimsuits and some women just had on a crop top or sports bra and shorts. Not so many fancy tri suits. The water was cold, about 68 degrees because it is spring fed. Very refreshing. The bike was flat and on pavement. The run was just a 5K but hard as it was hilly and was getting hot. I haven’t done a tri in a while and it was tiring. But a blast!

Vannie that hamstring trauma sounds terrible! It makes sense that you do a lot of focused hamstring work.

Jbliff cool on the Pilates swirl!

Waves to all!
Old 07-03-22, 08:08 AM  
JBliff

My workout yesterday was a walk with DH in the morning + Body Combat + pilates in the afternoon.

Karjoy
- Awesome that you had a fun time at the tri and were able to do it with Chris. Enjoy your rest today.

Have a great day, everyone.
Old 07-03-22, 03:21 PM  
Vantreesta

After blowing off the first two days of the month I kicked my own butt into gear and actually worked out on a Sunday! Another long string of short ones (pre and post run stuff take just as long whether I run one mile or four!): PT exercises, glutes with Caroline Jordan, feet with Jill Miller, lower legs with Caroline, 1.09 mi run, piriformis and hips with Helen Clare and my usual Yoga for Runners post-run practice with Matt Giordano. I need to do tendonitis exercises and PT stretches later.

Great job, Karen! Glad you enjoyed the race. I imagine a rest day or two is in order, huh?

JB, yeah competitive not always a good thing. The Toby Keith song As Good As I Once Was always reminds me of that moment of my life, smthg to the effect of my body says you can't do that but my pride says oh yes you can!

Old 07-04-22, 06:55 AM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Vannie I rested yesterday so I will probably do a short run today. I had forgotten how hard it is to run after you get off a bike. Your hip flexors are tight from sitting
and road bikes have you hunched over a bit.

Hey all, I think I told you that Chris told me of a site and ap called Daily Burn. I may try it free for 30 days. Not sure yet. Chris said she did a toughish workout yesterday. Pilates/Yoga with some balance emphasis and she really enjoyed it. She likes the fact that some workouts are Cathe style hard

I have been on call after the Tri this weekend and the number of + Covid calls is simply crazy. I have a friend who has cancer and is an active chemotherapy patient. She said our positivity rate is 26% and I believe it. And of course, home self tests are not part of the official count.

I found out I still have my Peloton ap for another month. May try a short Pilates workout and they have several 10 min ones. Inspired by Jbliff, Chris and Vannie.

Waves to all and Happy Birthday America!