Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-20, 06:03 PM  
Sollamyn

Murder Mystery Books

Hi! Sorry for the off-topic post but I would like to get some of those cozy murder mystery books. I did a search on Amazon and there seems to be at least a thousand different choices!

Can anyone recommend some good series? I'm accustomed to a certain quality of writing, so I would prefer something that has some...um...intelligence? I don't need for them to be super humorous, just engaging and a good light read. For reference, I like shows like Father Brown, Poirot (but not looking for Agatha Christie novels at this time), Marple, Grantchester, Midsomer Murders, Broadchurch, etc. The books do not have to be set in England, though. I just really like British TV mysteries!

Thanks!

Donna
Old 07-22-20, 06:07 PM  
alisoncooks

Ooh, have you read the Lady Hardcastle books? Cozies aren't my genre but these were free with Kindle Unlimited (and I had a free trial). They're witty and quirky and full of British humor.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-20, 06:08 PM  
Vantreesta

These may not fit your criteria but my favorite murder mysteries are by William Kent Krueger. It helps that they are set in northern MN! I can't put his books down once I start. But I doubt they're anything like your British mysteries!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-20, 06:27 PM  
sherry7899

I have not read them all, but you may like the Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton

Please check here:

https://cozy-mysteries-unlimited.com...ry/british/%2A

https://www.deadgoodbooks.co.uk/small-town-crime-books/

https://cozy-mysteries-unlimited.com

I liked the Luke Thanet series by Dorothy Simpson

I will find more names and post later.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-20, 06:34 PM  
Bluebelle

Donna Andrews has a great cozy series - I think all the titles have a type of bird in it. Sofie Ryan Second Chance mystery series. Lorna Barrett Booktown series. Betty Hechtman crochet mystery series is pretty funny. Carolyn Hart Death on Demand series is very good. I like alternating cozies with thrillers.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-20, 06:42 PM  
sherry7899

I really like Diane Mott Davidson's Goldie Schultz series. If you enjoy cooking,you may enjoy it also.

They are not exactly cozy, but two favorite series of mine are the China Bayles series by Susan Wittig Albert and Ellen Hart's series set in Minnesota about a restaurant owner who solves mysteries. It is the Jane Lawless series.

monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Laura Childs is my favorite for cozy mysteries. She has several series. The tea shop in Chraleston SC, scrapbook shop in NOLA, and a diner in the midwest. Plus, each bok has recipes (that the characters ate) in the back. They are awesome, although I did stop telling people that they're from murder mystery book.

Miss Fisher's mysteries are set in 1920's Australia; author is Kerry Greenwood. I've read all of them and was sad to finish the set.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Gams

I really like Sue Grafton’s alphabet mysteries.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-20, 06:44 PM  
sherry7899

Nancy Pickard Jenny Cain series

Sandra Scoppettone Lauren Laurano series

Sue Ann Jaffarian Odelia Grey series

Sharyn McCrumb

Dorothy Cannell

Jon Katz suburban detective series

Laura Leveine

Old 07-22-20, 07:16 PM  
Sollamyn

Thanks so much for all the ideas. I will do some investigating!

I did like the Miss Fisher series that was on...Netflix? Amazon? Acorn? I can't remember, but I did enjoy those, so maybe I'd like the books. Also, I did see that there is a series of Agatha Raisin books. I enjoyed that show, too!

Donna

Tags
books, reading