Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-20, 01:12 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Anna, do you like psychological suspense or women's fiction?
Suspense? Yes and no. I've read all kinds of stuff, but have found that I just don't want to get sucked into something really intense. I've had a terrible time with insomnia, and find that anything scary/creepy/dark can mess with my sleep cycle.

Women's fiction? Guess it depends how you define it. I have Jane Austen's novels available, but maybe you mean something more modern?

Looking for suggestions?

Looking at my recent Goodreads lists, The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix Harrow, Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy (fabulous in audio book, the narrator brings it to life!), and Charles Finch's The Last Passenger were all enjoyable.

Mysteries? Charles Finch's Lenox series is good, but start with A Beautiful Blue Death. There are newly written prequels, but I think the first one he wrote is a better intro.

Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series is hilariously quirky. (I think he's done with it? not sure. I own them all.)

Non-fiction philosophical musings? Alain de Botton's How Proust Can Change Your Life was really interesting in audio. His Consolations of Philosophy was interesting too, read bits of it at bedtime til I was done. He's one of the authors I'm just waiting to get back to. Last year I learned that I qualify to have a free card with the library system in the next county, and they have tons of his books. Whee! Didn't stock up ahead of time, though. Wasn't sure how much of that kind of thing I could face in this situation, and left them on the shelf for later.

In fantasy, I've just finished the second volume of The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson and Hyperion by Dad Simmons. Waiting on paperbacks of The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison, Michael Sullivan's Theft of Swords, and Iain M. Banks Consider Phlebas (sci-fi, IIRC) And another book on sewing and another book/disc on guided meditations for treatment of depression.

Got any favorites?
Old 04-30-20, 06:19 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Does your neighborhood have any of those little libraries https://littlefreelibrary.org/build/?
We have a few of these around. Tonight - after walking there in the rain to drop off some books and hopefully find another - I saw that it was converted into a "Little Pantry". I knew they were doing that in another park, but not ours, so I when I arrived I was a little disappointed to be confronted by granola bars and bananas Of course it's very nice and considerate, and I'm trying not to complain...
Old 05-01-20, 02:30 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I do not like e books either.

I used to not like them, but somehow have ended up preferring them over actual books in the last few years.

I gave away over 50 boxes of books to a local bookstore earlier this year, and only have a few (d0zen) that I just loved too much to part with. That's one reason for ebooks - no storage problem. Another big plus is you can borrow ebooks and never run out of stuff to read. My main reason though, is my eyes, I can change the print to read more easily.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 03:32 PM  
Carol K

I was willing to try them, but every book on my to-read list that has an ebook edition at the library has all copies in use.
Old 05-02-20, 09:35 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I also have trouble getting current ebooks from the library. Here is one possible solution: reserve as many as you can and eventually you will get some of them. I also have the fortune of being on 2 library lists: one is the county; the other is the local small library that is independent of the county system, so their ebooks come from a regional library. That way, if one doesn't have what I want, the other might.

I like ebooks for the reasons mentioned above. I can't read small print, I love the storage of many books on a small device, and, it travels well (though that is not such a concern right now).

Lori
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 09:49 AM  
BunnyHop

I just can't face the thought of reading e-books on my computer. Don't have a smartphone or a tablet, so haven't yet taken the plunge.

The e-book app our library system uses is very limited in what it offers, and only provides books that can't be downloaded to an MP3 player. (RB Digital?)

Not really impressed so far.
Old 05-02-20, 10:21 AM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyskier View Post
I also have trouble getting current ebooks from the library. Here is one possible solution: reserve as many as you can and eventually you will get some of them.
Lori
This is what I do with print library books, and I'll do it with eBooks if the libraries don't open in June.
Old 05-02-20, 12:07 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I still have a pile of books from a couple book sales that I visited a year ago, so I will be busy with those for a while. Initially I regretted buying them because I could have just rented them for free and not have them cluttering up the house but now I am glad I got them. I also have a few other new and used ones that I haven't gotten to yet, plus the books on my Kindle.

I like going to the library though just to browse, etc. so I am feeling some withdrawal from that. I did not have any checked out from the library at the time they closed. I think they have been closed since middle March and will extend out for a few more weeks at least since they have extended the stay home order here.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 11:47 AM  
red1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
I use the LIBBY app to access ebooks and audiobooks free from our local public library. You have to enter your library card number and PIN but I find the selection much better than Kindle Unlimited. The ebooks can also be transferred/downloaded to our Kindles. It's great!

Anyone else use Libby?
Yes! Our library has really upped their ebook game in the last few years. Right now I have 2 books checked out and am on the wait list for 7 others.

I got a Kindle for Christmas in 2009 and haven't looked back. The minimalist in me likes the fact that there are 2000+ books on my Kindle and not taking up tons of space in my house .

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, ebook, ebooks, reading