Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-22, 10:33 PM  
kat999

Off-Topic: Sudden allergy to gold?

I have a nickel allergy that recently flared up with exposure to a zipper, and around the same time I also started having trouble with my wedding ring leaving a red, sometimes scaly mark around my finger. I've been married for 17 years are very rarely take my ring off. This summer has been very hot, obviously, so I've been chalking this up to both heat swelling/sweat rashes and possibly some perimenopausal water retention. I've never had a long-term problem with gold causing problems, though. Any ideas to curb it? I thought perhaps, too, that my ring could need a good cleaning, so I did that, and it's not really helped. I tried soaking it periodically in witch hazel, which often soothes skin irritation in me, and that didn't really help, either. For now, I'm taking it off at night and putting Burt's Bees hand salve on my ring finger. At the height of the irritation earlier this summer, I wore a sterling silver ring on my ring finger instead, and that caused no additional irritation. I love my wedding ring and don't want to not wear it, and I worry I'm giving my husband a complex by continually taking it off. He understands that it's a skin problem, but the whole thing gives me anxiety and sorrow.
Old 08-12-22, 11:19 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

eczema sufferer here.

even gold rings have some nickel in it - this is because 100% pure gold is soft. hot weather and perspiring definitely worsens the situation. i have only had a severe reaction to my ring when i kept scratching my skin on my finger. if you have successfully overcome a reaction in the past, you can wait it out and refrain from rubbing or scratching and it might heal.

but if the rash persists, then see a dermatologist. i've gotten better at recovering from rash by using as little prescription cream/ointment as possible.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-22, 07:55 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I’m now four years into perimenopause and developed numerous allergies that I never had before (and also anxiety which I never had before either!). I had to abandon jewelry unless it’s sterling silver. My allergies have gotten particularly bad this spring and summer (I hate summer!).

I use vitamin E oil and pure aloe on all skin stuff. Another perimenopause oddity to add to my list! And the further I’m in to peri the more bizarre the things that my poor body is doing! From allergies to nerves to anxiety to bad digestion to bad sleep to 35 lb weight gain to constant injuries to brain fog, you name it and I’ve had it in the past four years. Perimenopause is not for the faint of heart!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-22, 09:40 AM  
kat999

Thanks, ladies. I'll try to lay off wearing it for now, try vitamin E and aloe, and if it still seems bad, I'll consult a dermatologist. I'm wondering if a jeweler might be willing to coat the inside with sterling silver.
Old 08-13-22, 09:58 AM  
Nanny

You could try coating the inside of your ring with clear nail polish.
Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-22, 10:32 AM  
carly

It may take 2 to 4 weeks for the skin on your finger to heal and become less sensitive to the friction of your ring. If you can go without the ring that would be best. Maybe wear it on a chain around your neck or on another finger?

Also after your finger is better try painting a thin coat of clear nail polish on the inside of your ring as Nanny suggested. The polish creates a barrier between the metal and your skin. I do this with earrings all the time to avoid nickel contact. If this works you will need to reapply the coating every so often as it wears off. It will also confirm that you are reacting to the metal and not something else. It should not harm your ring.

Note: If you do coat any jewelry with clear nail polish do not use any acetone nail polish remover as the acetone can potentially pit the metal. The clear nail polish usually just chips off clean overtime. Or you can use water and ammonia to clean it off or have a jeweler clean it off.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-22, 06:08 PM  
kat999

Oh, wow, I hadn't thought of clear nail polish. That's a great idea and obviously less permanent than having another metal applied to the inside. I'll try hard to leave it off for the rest of August and see how it is then.
Old 08-27-22, 06:22 AM  
DBW

I experienced eczema for the first time in 2020, where I wear rings, due to frequent (obsessive?) hand washing, and probably the area around my rings not getting dried well. My dermatologist recommended Cerave moisturizing cream.
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-22, 08:41 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny View Post
You could try coating the inside of your ring with clear nail polish.
I used this trick when I was in high school and had a similar issue---I would get tiny blisters on my finger where the ring was. The polish worked!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eczema, off topic, off-topic