Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-19-21, 09:31 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Still hobbling along here with no exercise.

DONNA, I will definitely look up that Jessica V sciatica routine as soon as I'm done here.
Thanks! I do have mild scoliosis I was told just a few years ago, I never knew. I guess that can be adding to my woes also along with the degenerative disc disease and arthritis.

DIANE, it's so true you never know what will flare the sciatica. I think this flare came from wearing an older pair of sneakers with limited cushioning/support. I continued to walk for days with the pain until it became too much to ignore.

PAT, oh no on additional injuries. It is very disappointing to me missing my walks in this my favorite time of year to walk.

Have a wonderful day my friends!

summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-21, 10:29 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Summer Breeze, I know this is your favorite time for walking - what a total bummer.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-21, 04:39 PM  
amoodygirl

Hey everyone!

Hope this week has been treating everyone well. I finally had to give in and turn on the heat. It was 39 degrees this morning! Beautiful right now but not so much at 5:30 a.m.!

Workouts:
Mon - Yoga and Abs - 2 Lesley yoga quickies with a Gymbox abs.

Tues - I decided to shake it up a bit and do a Margaret-Interval using my treadmill and Body Electric Series 1700, Show 8:
5 min treadmill walking warmup, followed by pushups throughout her warmup
Two weight segments - triceps and back
5 min treadmill run
Two weight segments - Hamstrings
5 min treadmill run
Quads
Lesley quickie yoga

Summer Breeze My heart goes out to you re: sciatica. It's absolutely awful. But seriously, the second you feel a twinge, you have to stop. That was my mistake and I paid the price not being able to run or do step for a whole year. I'm going to be 64 next month and, although I feel great, I know my body is ripe for injury if I'm not careful. Bodies are like cars - the working parts just give up the ghost eventually.

Donna I don't find Bad Yogi's first program overly advanced at all but I definitely modified quite a bit, especially at the beginning of my self-rehab. On her streaming, she has quite a few restorative and sciatica practices that are wonderful. Let me take a good look at that first series and report back the ones that really helped me. It may be a couple of days but I will get to it!

Pat It's always some injury or another. During my hamstring/piriformis/it band rehab, of course my right heel started giving me hell, so much so I had to wear my Birkenstocks in the house. Finally it's gone - for now! I hope you enjoyed your visit with your grand nephew #2!

Hope everyone had a great few days!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-21, 08:13 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning all! Yesterday featured:

~ YWK 15 Minute Morning Yin plus affirmations
~ Jane Fonda Firm & Burn, Doo-Wop
~ 6,674 steps

I was able to gimp through the Fonda workout with my Oofo flip flops so that was good news.

Diane, I turned on the heat too.

Donna, interesting about your back feeling better after the scoliosis practice. I'll check it out.

Sending gentle hugs to Summer Breeze.

Have a marvelous day!
Old 10-20-21, 08:35 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got an evening walk in w/ my Golden. The cooler weather has her walking faster. I was honestly a little worried about her slowing down - but I think it was just too hot for her. She will be 9 1/2 in December, so not a puppy!

I also did a 20 min yoga for your lunch break w/ Adriene. I think I may have over done something in that practice though - more on that later..

Today was:

Ellen - Upper Body Blast

Jessica Valent - Scoliosis Practice # 1 and Sciatica Practice

Both of Jessica's were helpful.

Summer Breeze - the Sciatica practice may help! I was also looking around You Tube and Sarah Beth has 2 short scoliosis practices and a sciatica practice. I may put those into the mix at some point. Injuries are so frustrating. Another thing I have done is use a small pillow between my knees when sleeping on my side to keep everything even and I put a small yoga block under my desk to rest my feet on so I can keep better alignment at my desk. It really is important to keep mindful of all these things.....even though it is annoying!

Pat - I'm glad you were able to get some movement in - and nice visit w/ your grandnephew!!

Diane - I like the way you made up that circuit workout!

I think I may have overdid it a bit w/ the yoga - I think it was the yoga squat which I can do but it may have been too much for me right now. So I feel like I took a small step back.

The scoliosis practices do help me - I do have some scoliosis in my spine that causes my hip to hike up on one side.

I think my grand plan for the rest of the year is rehab. I am thinking about doing Jessica Valent's post partum plan - I know - my "baby" is 18, but it looks gentle and good for someone who needs to be mindful of their pelvic stability. She has a prolapse program as well and there is quite a bit of overlap between the two - so I may pick and choose between those two programs. After that I think I may do her Pilates Jumpstart and then by January I hope to be better. NO MORE Pahla B. I suppose I can listen to her podcasts, though.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-21, 09:25 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday was:

18 minute outdoor walk
a few stretches

I was actually feeling pretty good yesterday for a change so decided to try a walk. I was a little nervous of aggravating something and of course as soon as I started walking the pain returned. So I'll play it by ear today.

DONNA, your rehab plan for the rest of the year sounds wise. I didn't realize it until I tried the Jessica V sciatica routine that I had done it a few weeks ago. I remember something in it had tweaked my pain further so I was hesitant to try it again. I'll look into Sarah Beth. Thanks.

DIANE, oh I like that MR interval workout.
Hopefully something I can try down the road. I've had these painful sciatica bouts before so you would think I would know better and back off as soon as a twinge develops. But nope.

PAT, gentle hugs back at ya.

Have a wonderful day!!
Old 10-21-21, 08:01 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did two dog walks - the weather is just perfect....

Today, so far has been:

Leslie - 20 Min Walk from Burn Fat Fast DVD - I wanted to test the waters on indoor walking/cardio and decided 20 min should work. So far, so good.

Jessica Valent - Hip Mobility Routine and Hip Pain Routine - both of these were helpful!

Summer Breeze - I'm sorry your back felt bad after trying to walk. Hopefully it will ease up soon. being injured stinks.....

Hope everyone has a good day -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-21, 08:16 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Happy Thursday! Yesterday was low key:

~ YWK chakra meditation plus affirmations
~ My own yoga in bed
~ 3,479 steps

I saw my gua sha goddess after work. She did a nice job on my arms and hands so hopefully I'm on the right track. She's also a certified aromatherapy consultant, and I picked up my first "sniffie stick." It's wonderful - she put essential oils of German chamomile, clary sage and rose, plus crystal chips of selenite, amethyst and rose quartz. It really works!

Donna - that is genius to incorporate post partum Pilates! Good luck with your plan for getting through the rest of the year. It sounds like a good one.

Summer Breeze, too bad about needing to stop your walk, but hopefully feeling a little bit better is a sign of better days ahead.

Good morning to Diane and anyone who visits!
Old 10-21-21, 09:11 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

I tried a few stretches from Sarah Beth yoga yesterday on DONNA's recommendation. I'm feeling a tad better today but I'm afraid to push it too much.
Maybe I'll try a walk later, I'll see.

DONNA, lucky you with 2 walks in this delightful weather. Glad the indoor walk worked out too. I noticed as I was doing the stretches yesterday my back felt even more painful but today I notice an improvement. Is that how it works with stretching, you don't feel improvement until the next day? Or do you feel immediate relief?

PAT, nice low key day for you. Sounds like a lovely time with your gua sha goddess. I read your activities too quickly and I saw "my own steps in bed." I was trying to figure out in my head how you managed that one. LOL

Hi DIANE!

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 10-21-21, 03:15 PM  
amoodygirl

Hey everyone!

Just got back in the house after cutting down another tree - with a hand saw, not electric, not battery operated, just muscle! There was one tree that was really bugging me so I talked my husband into helping me. It was a two person job as it was big and heavy. We got it down and then cut it in half and tossed both pieces into the tree line. Next spring either we or a professional will have to do a clean up. The tree guys left a mess and we made it worse! BUT nothing should fall onto the house or the porch. Besides, snow will be covering it for at least 3 months so no big deal. My neighbors, who are far older than us, just laugh and were clapping and yelling, "you go girl!"

Workouts:
Wed - Cathe Ab Circuits - Yoga Abs. Lesley 10 min quickie yoga then 10 1/2 mile bike ride.

Thurs - today! - Pushups, Body Electric Series 1700 Show 10 - loved this because it was in Acapulco 1996 and she used Beatles' music. Then did a Lesley morning yoga stretch then..... 18 mile bike ride! We almost did the entire local trail but about 4 miles were cordoned off. They tend to do a lot of work on trails and roads up until November up here.

Pat We're all the walking wounded here, aren't we???? I so hope you start to feel better. I bought a Tens machine, which I use sporadically and that helps with my sciatic pain. My husband used it for his shin injury and it helped him as well. They're not overly expensive - I think mine was about $25?

Donna Even with yoga, you have to be so, so careful. I think I remember either Lesley, Adriene, or Bad Yogi say one with sciatic pain shouldn't do seated and standing forward bends (aside from Downward-Facing Dog) because they can cause further strain in the pelvis and lower back. Our bodies do amazing things but when they're injured, it truly sucks!

Summer Breeze I wish I had the magic words to help you feel better. All I can say is I learned the hard way to listen to my body and not ignore even the smallest of twinges. I'm so used to pushing through. When we lived in San Diego, we ran half-marathons and one year I ran it with a stress fracture in my foot. Plus, besides working full-time, I was teaching step classes in the afternoons and early evenings. Talk about asking for trouble!

That's about it for now. Sending lots of healing energy to all! We'll get through these aches and pains!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jim fixx