Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-21, 09:02 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Term or whole life insurance?

I've been relying on my employee life insurance benefits all these years, but it's probably time to take out policies now that I'll be retiring in five or so years.

I'm so confused whether term or whole life insurance is better. Go to a broker, or the bank?

If you have knowledge on this issue, please share. Thank you.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-21, 11:35 AM  
Karyn
VF Supporter

Bottom line, whole life makes a lot of money for the broker & insurance company but not so much for the general client Term is always better & cheaper, usually a level term for 10-20 years is recommended. I am not in the insurance business but my father was. Whole life is often sold as a retirement plan which it is not. Even my retirement planner who could sell me a plan like that says it is better to separate insurance from retirement savings. HTH
Karyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-21, 11:44 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks Karen! That helps a bunch.
Old 10-27-21, 12:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

term all the way.

Suze Orman is my go-to person for all things financial - here's her quick insurance advice:

Life insurance made easy. (Promise!)
https://www.suzeorman.com/blog/Life-...e-easy-Promise

Life Insurance Coverage is Necessary
https://www.suzeorman.com/blog/Life-...e-is-Necessary

i also found the cheapest term life insurance (for both of us!) via my DH's teachers' union. it's also available even after he retires - he just has to remain a member of the union as a retiree (affordable, with lots of other benefits), and pay the term insurance premium. check all of the affordable places for term insurance - Costco, credit unions, alumni associations, etc.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-21, 12:28 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you Jeannine!
Old 10-27-21, 05:22 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Life insurance is meant for your dependents. If you do not have dependents, you do not need life insurance. Life insurance is to make sure that your dependents are able to carry on.

Having said that, always use term life. Term is cheap when you are young -- this is the time you need life insurance the most. When your children are young. When you are older, term life becomes expensive. Time to let go of the insurance.

That's what we did. Once the kids are in college, we do not carry life insurance anymore. Should we pass, they can carry on with the 'wealth' we left them. We do not need life insurance.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-21, 05:29 PM  
pgun3

My husband and I have term life insurance so that if one of us pass then we have something to fall back on. We have no kids
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-21, 06:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Thank you Jeannine!
you're welcome - let us know what happens.

couple of other sources: AARP and your current home/car insurance carrier.

good reasons for looking into term life insurance are listed in the article i linked from Suze Orman. If you still have a mortgage or other debt, it makes sense to get life insurance. if your child has college student loans, he/she should get life insurance. if you have elderly relatives who depend on you, it would be good to get a policy for yourself with them as the beneficiary.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-21, 06:21 PM  
sherry7899

Are there any you can take out in middle age or older while having pre-existing health conditions?
A friend of ours wanted to buy additional insurance outside of his employer but could not find anything (other than the ones who advertise on tv) because of his pre existing health conditions.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-21, 07:43 PM  
ellaenchanted

Term for sure. Even if you don't have children, it is good to have a safety net for a spouse/partner to be able to pay a mortgage or bills.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, life insurance, off topic, off-topic, retirement