Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-22, 07:46 PM  
Tugger31

Angry Looking for Help with workout with injury

I've been battling plantar fasciitis for almost a year and in that year I've gained 10 lbs and have lost almost all of my strength and cardio capacity part due to pain and part due to depression over the pain. I'd love to hear some suggestions b/c I'm mentally drained from trying to come up with rotation plans/workout ideas only to be side lined again. Upper body isn't a problem, but lower body and a cardio, not sure what to do. I've tried walking workouts and they cause pain. Alot of yoga causes pain, ie the back foot in a Warrior pose if that's my PF foot the pressure hurts. Ive tried wall squats with a stability ball behind my back, again foot pain just from the pressure. I don't own a rebounder. I need to something to keep my sanity! I have been to the Orthopedic doc twice in the past year as well as physical therapy. I feel like I want to loosely follow a rotation b/c I need some sort of "plan" just winging it isn't working for me.

Thanks for any words of advice!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 07:55 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I don't have any ideas for cardio, but for lower body strength, could you do floor work? Either side-lying or kneeling/plank position exercises should allow you to avoid putting pressure on the bottom of your foot. For added resistance you could use ankle weights. Tracy Anderson's mat work would fit the bill. Winsor Pilates and Ballet Beautiful has a lot of floor work as well, but some of it is done in bridge position, so I imagine that would aggravate your injury, but you could skip those exercises. There are probably lower body exercises you could do with resistance bands as well.

Cardio is definitely tricky. Do you have access to a pool?

You could also try boxing (not kickboxing) but you'd just have to be careful with foot placement.

Edited: Didn't mean to try boxing in a pool, lol! I meant those as two separate options.
Old 07-23-22, 08:06 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i agree with the suggestion for floorwork, particularly "Getting Better" by Margaret Richard who created the workout when she was recovering from foot surgery.

if you have access to a pool - swimming or aquatics?

chair workouts? there's several options. click on the tags in this thread for ideas.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 10:33 PM  
bubbles76

So sorry you are going through this. I was also going to suggest boxing and floorwork. Good luck!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 10:43 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I’m sorry you’re going through this!

I turned to swimming when I had PF and also when I was recovering from a broken ankle. It’s great cardio & I used fins and hand paddles to add resistance.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-22, 08:03 AM  
Tugger31

Unfortunately I have no access to a pool.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-22, 08:36 AM  
patrice
VF Supporter

You Tube has lots of chair aerobics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbfVrvCdV3M

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-22, 08:49 AM  
TracyQ

Do you enjoy Pilates? It doesn’t burn a ton of calories but I find it to be very healing to the body and it really strengthens your muscles without any impact.

My favorite instructors are Bernadette Giorgi (DVDs), Move with Nicole (YouTube) and a lot of her workouts are filmed on a beach so the scenery will lift your spirits and Pilates by Lisa (Streaming).

The Pilates side lying leg work, when done correctly and consistently will keep your legs strong while your foot heals. Not to mention how strong your core will get.

By the way, I suffered with PF for a long time about a decade ago. I tried everything to get rid of the pain. What worked for me was doing most of my workouts barefoot (I know counterintuitive). I really don’t know why it worked but it did.

It does get better so hang in there. I know how discouraging it is.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-22, 09:56 AM  
donnamp

Have you tried Caroline Jordan on You Tube - i believe her whole channel started b/c she was dealing with a foot injury.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-22, 10:04 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Margaret Richard's Getting Better, Ellen's Fusion Floor, Essentrics floor workouts, and various YouTube workouts for injuries were my staples.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Have you switched healthcare practitioners? Seems like you're not really getting anywhere with your current care.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chair workouts, plantar fasciitis, trim down